Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Scientology - what to make of them

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Scientology - what to make of them Empty
PostSubject: Scientology - what to make of them   Scientology - what to make of them EmptyWed Apr 09, 2008 12:37 pm

Cue the implosion of the site due to Scientology's agents taking us out - one by one.

Anyone ever had any interaction with Scientology, current members of the organisation or indeed ex members? Thought?

BBC Documentary
1/4

2/4

3/4

4/4
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Scientology - what to make of them   Scientology - what to make of them EmptyWed Apr 09, 2008 3:49 pm

I've seen that documentary. The poor man was harangued, I'm really not surprised he exploded in the end.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Scientology - what to make of them   Scientology - what to make of them EmptyWed Apr 09, 2008 3:52 pm

I agree riadach. It is a shame that he did explode though because it meant that he could not feesibly continue with his investigative work.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Scientology - what to make of them   Scientology - what to make of them EmptyWed Apr 09, 2008 4:10 pm

johnfás wrote:
I agree riadach. It is a shame that he did explode though because it meant that he could not feesibly continue with his investigative work.

Well given he had most of his material compiled at that stage, I think it wasn't as damaging as it could have been. I believe one of the reasons why he did let loose of his pent up frustration was because he knew at that stage he could, he had no more reason to plámas or yield to the intentions of his pursuer.

One does have to wonder why scientology is so insecure about it's organisation. Fair enough, it is under attack. However, most institutions when under attack become more open so as to illustrate that what takes place is no more abnormal or destructive than any other. There seems to be an unwillingness here, especially among the American organisation.

The comedian Hardeep Singh Kohli, also did a investigation into scientology in Europe, and faced none of the obstacles faced in the above documentary. Indeed, what resulted was a depiction of a self-help organisation that seemed to genuinely try to build up the confidence of it's members. (Of course, one has to ask, why do scientology members always seem to be individuals with formerly self-esteem issues, and does that lead to their vulnerability).

All in all, we probably shouldn't worry about it as much as we do. Indeed, there are some very strange elements to it, but it does seem to be providing a benefit to individuals as well. If allegations of brainwashing remain unproven, then I see no reason not to treat it as any other religion.

The only real religion I worry about is Dawkinism. Oh the arrogance, he's like a modern day Joseph Smith :-)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Scientology - what to make of them   Scientology - what to make of them EmptyWed Apr 09, 2008 4:15 pm

I do think people can get a bit hysteric about scientology. I certainly would have reservations about banning it, and the recent assault on it by hackers of all people really annoyed me. When the 'little-to be-doing'ers of the internet feel the need to become religious police I feel society's gone wrong somewhere.

Mind you, scientology's worth it just for the above video. Absolutely priceless.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Scientology - what to make of them   Scientology - what to make of them EmptyWed Apr 09, 2008 4:17 pm

There is something a tad ironic when hackers moralise about anything. Next they'll take up the fight for intellectual property
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Scientology - what to make of them   Scientology - what to make of them EmptyWed Apr 09, 2008 8:40 pm

Scientologists are without doubt some of the strangest, weirdest most odd people you'll ever come across.
It's very Rumsfeld of me but there is something strange up with them, I don't like them one little bit.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Scientology - what to make of them   Scientology - what to make of them EmptyFri Apr 25, 2008 7:31 pm

That journalist, John Sweeney, did a documentary on Chavez and Venezuela that was a load of shite so I lost a lot of respect for him for that even though I did enjoy the one on Scientology. The second thing I wanted to tell people about was a programme called Chaser`s War from Australia. Watch it on Youtube. Some of it is fucking hilarious. One of their pranks was to set up a table outside the Sydney HQ of Scientology and start administering free gullibility tests.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Scientology - what to make of them   Scientology - what to make of them Empty

Back to top Go down

Scientology - what to make of them
Page 1 of 1