Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

EVMs - Not gone away you know

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

EVMs - Not gone away you know - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: EVMs - Not gone away you know   EVMs - Not gone away you know - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 10, 2008 11:41 am

Hermes wrote:
ibis wrote:
Hermes wrote:
Thanks for the info EVM, I didn't know any of that.

I'm not too surprised that Mr. Gormley wants electronic voting, it's the only hope he's got to ever get elected again, provided someone creatively programs the machines. Twisted Evil

Sigh. I was rather hoping to avoid this kind of nonsense here. I voted for Gormley, and on his record so far, I see no reason not to do so again. Little nodding emoticons won't be making much difference.

Hermes wrote:
Isn't there another scandal to be followed regarding the huge cost of storing these machines? And isn't it the friend of a friend who owns the storage facility (if you get my drift)?

Lots of follow the money possibilities on this one.

The friend of a friend of John Gormley?

Nonsense? Because I disagree with you? What a sheltered existence you must lead.

As for the use of emoticons: I used this to temper my remark, to show that it was overstated and meant to be taken lightly. If you don't like emoticons I suggest you start a campaign here to discontinue their use. Don't moan to me; I don't care.

And for the record, since it seems to matter: I'm not in the least impressed with Mr. Gormley and his alleged performance.

Regarding your last question, that asked if I was referring to Mr. Gormley: No. The friend of a friend of Martin Cullen (the minister responsible for the machines). The contract to store many of these machines was awarded to a company in Mr. Cullen's own constituency. The cost to store these machines was something close to five times what it woud have cost anywhere else. Here's a quote from the Waterford News & Star, that explains why this contract was awarded:

“The requirements for the winning tender outlined by the Waterford returning officer included insulation in the roof, walls and floors, two technical offices, universal access, car parking, a shower and a central location near Waterford courthouse.”

http://archives.tcm.ie/waterfordnews/2005/02/18/story17097.asp

Evotingmachine0179 will be glad of the shower Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: EVMs - Not gone away you know   EVMs - Not gone away you know - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 10, 2008 11:46 am

cactus flower wrote:
Evotingmachine0179 will be glad of the shower EVMs - Not gone away you know - Page 2 Icon_biggrin

Cleanliness is next to godliness Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: EVMs - Not gone away you know   EVMs - Not gone away you know - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 10, 2008 11:30 pm

evm, is there anything new since the last thread p.ie on this when gormely actually spoke on the issues, it frustrating that gormely hasn't been clear on the issue and specifically said he want and understand the need for at least verified voting, but i don't see the gormely has failed on this issue yet.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: EVMs - Not gone away you know   EVMs - Not gone away you know - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 16, 2008 2:16 am

bounce

This one ?
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: EVMs - Not gone away you know   EVMs - Not gone away you know - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 16, 2008 2:18 am

Talk about opening a can of worms..

Guess what lads, We're still paying 850,000 per annum..

Ding.Ding.Ding.

My mam used to say look after the pennies and the pounds will mind themselves.

Ding. Ding.Ding.

Is this debacle not symbolic enough for every MWC to go anti-establishment ?
At least the toll bridge serves a purpose.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: EVMs - Not gone away you know   EVMs - Not gone away you know - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 16, 2008 2:20 am

cactus flower wrote:
bounce

This one ?

Thanks Cactus. The very galaxies would be lost if were not for you.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: EVMs - Not gone away you know   EVMs - Not gone away you know - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 16, 2008 2:21 am

Link?
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: EVMs - Not gone away you know   EVMs - Not gone away you know - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 16, 2008 2:31 am

Link what ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: EVMs - Not gone away you know   EVMs - Not gone away you know - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 16, 2008 2:51 am

EvotingMachine0197 wrote:
Link what ?
Link to the 85k the taxpayer is forking out each year.

Ok I trust you're telling the truth. Remember the questions I was asking before about the department of finance info? Shouldn't expenditure like that show up on those balance sheets? If on one side it was shown what could be afforded with 85k in a school and what it's really being used for - pissed down the drain then I think the likes of that might wake some people up to the fact ... maybe not.

Seriously, publishing a readable view of public accounts and making people read it by law might get people's heads out of their own arses. The tools all think FG and Labour are all shite too so we might as well vote for the devil we know.

We're f* doomed.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: EVMs - Not gone away you know   EVMs - Not gone away you know - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 16, 2008 2:56 am

Audi, it's not 85K its 850K

Look, if we stop voting for party morons, and start looking for smart people, we might make it through what I now call

The most moronic era in Irish History.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: EVMs - Not gone away you know   EVMs - Not gone away you know - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 16, 2008 3:03 am

Audi, it's not 85K its 850K

Look, if we stop voting for party morons, and start looking for smart people, we might make it through what I now call

The most moronic era in Irish History.

Sorry I lost a zero. That's not a bad name for this era at all - there's a list of odd shite going on that's incomprehensibly stupid. You know that there's a crust of old voters who are resigned to a time of past poverty and they think this Celtic Tiger roll up roll up get your SUV prosperity is great and if we rock the boat or ask questions we'll be punished by God or someone. I wonder if there's also a crowd of thick younger people but I'm not sure about that. Look at Lucinda Creighton I wouldn't trust her with a barge pole she's a Hawk, a military Hawk of a young lady. Mother of Jesus...

We need to get the ideas people and change the whole culture we live in. We live in a stroke culture at present mixed with incompetence and other stupidity and someone on p.ie recently made the interesting observation - we were stroking when there were English and it was a good thing then but now we are duping our own people. It's not right. There are children down in Ennis in prefabs for ten years instead of being in a classroom. It's a balls.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: EVMs - Not gone away you know   EVMs - Not gone away you know - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 16, 2008 3:44 am

It is a Balls Audi.

Can you muster people to screaming through the streets of Ennis ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: EVMs - Not gone away you know   EVMs - Not gone away you know - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 16, 2008 4:09 am

It is a Balls Audi.

Can you muster people to screaming through the streets of Ennis ?
There have been hospital demonstrations down here, children sitting on the school grass with the placards, boil-notice water demonstrations !! everything and nothing. People are pretty tuned in to politics too but they lose the bottle when it comes to voting. Actually I don't think the candidates are good here. I vote Green and Red but those fellas are way overshadowed by FF/FG here. It remains to be seen what happens in the locals here - those councillors I put up there in the local government thread will be running again and the most popular FFer - and most expensive Rolling Eyes is Flan Garvey and it is rumoured that his daughter might run for the Greens. I'd love to see a lot more Greens - Greens and Independents get in. The Independents fight locally and the Greens tend to have an overall strategy. I often vote FG and Labour too as I'd believe another Rainbow is what the country mightn't suffer too badly from. I was really disappointed that Labour Green FG didn't get in last year but maybe it was for the best - FF deserve a big hammering soon and I hope they get it. It might be no harm if there was a slow demise in store for FF but it's virtually impossible to wipe out cockroaches isn't it?

I think it might be no harm to bend democracy a bit and go back to the reputed pagan ways of ancient Ireland as I read them in Sláine - if after 7 years in government the economy is bad then they get turfed out. Otherwise they are allowed to go in the next general election.

I'm not sure though - I haven't thought it through enough.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: EVMs - Not gone away you know   EVMs - Not gone away you know - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 20, 2008 5:12 am

By the way, dumping this pile of shite that passed as a voting system, would save the Nation 800K straight up.

Screw the NYSE. Charity begins at home.

I would ask people to write to the Minister o Env. and ask him to get his finger out on evms.

Which was only ever a Ahern vanity project.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: EVMs - Not gone away you know   EVMs - Not gone away you know - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 20, 2008 3:32 pm

By the way, dumping this pile of shite that passed as a voting system, would save the Nation 800K straight up.

Screw the NYSE. Charity begins at home.

I would ask people to write to the Minister o Env. and ask him to get his finger out on evms.

Which was only ever a Ahern vanity project.

If we dump them now we would be saving ourselves all the trouble of dumping them after we have used them

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2006/nov/29/election_workers_begin_audit_sarasota_voting_machi/?state

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/05/05/politics/main2763769.shtml

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/evoting-the--story-so-far-1166262.html

Are you sure that it is not more than €850,000 a year? This is from "RemoveFiannaFail"

Quote :
February 2nd 2007.

THE Government is still making payments to the Dutch firm which developed the now-mothballed electronic voting machines that were bought by the State writes Senan Molony.(Irish Independent) Powervote (Ireland) has been liquidated by its parent, NEDAP Powervote - the company that came up with the electronic voting machines.!!

They were condemned by a specially-formed Commission on Electronic Voting three years ago, and yesterday it was claimed the machines used old technology.

Some 6,000 machines remain in storage around Ireland, at a continuing annual storage cost of around €1m, even though they cannot be used without new software being developed.

The Exchequer has been paying royalty and service contract amounts to Powervote, despite the machines being written off for the impending general election and the 2004 local and European elections. The Department of the Environment said last night that payments would continue to be paid to the Dutch parent.

You couldnt make it up..

It is my contention that Noel Dempsey is the responsible party for most of our grotesque overspending and waste of money in the last ten years:

from Ann Fearr Rua
Quote :
Not exactly Jay, Cullen inherited it from Dempsey who was the initiator of the whole mess as far back as 2002 (see links attached for example). It was just Cullen's misfortune to have to take the flak for it when Dempsey was promoted and Cullen was left to roll it out... And Cullen has been tarred with Dempsey's blunder brush ever since on that issue. Not that Cullen did a decent job of taking it over and running with it either..

It was Dempsey who did the regrading and other deals that massively increased the cost of Local Authorities.

Dempsey was responsible for the 50 million (no-one knows whose going to pay the bill) Cork Airport.

It is time someone did a full audit of how much this ludramaun has cost us.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: EVMs - Not gone away you know   EVMs - Not gone away you know - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 14, 2008 4:26 am

Maybe in Ohio , but NOT in America.