Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Another Irishy One

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Another Irishy One Empty
PostSubject: Another Irishy One   Another Irishy One EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 6:25 pm

I am doing a little study on the lingo and one thing I have noticed recently is the amount of Irish been spoken on the radio now. I had a quick look through a lot of the more popular station websites and I see that Spin 103.8, FM104 and 98FM all have Irish programmes. I think Tony Fenton also has a small piece in his programme (how many ms in programme? Oh, for a resident English teacher, hint hint) called 'Creid nó ná chreid'.

Have I missed any, and if anyone listens to these programmes are they any good? And is it just me, or are these a recent phenomena, or have they been around for ages?
Back to top Go down

Another Irishy One Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Irishy One   Another Irishy One EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 6:54 pm

2 ms in this one I think.

Creid nó ná chreid has been around for ages and it's just a short voicer - 30-60 seconds I'd say. I haven't heard it for a while but my recollection is that it's quirky, interesting and not too challenging for the listener.
Back to top Go down

Another Irishy One Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Irishy One   Another Irishy One EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 6:58 pm

Kate P wrote:
2 ms in this one I think.

Creid nó ná chreid has been around for ages and it's just a short voicer - 30-60 seconds I'd say. I haven't heard it for a while but my recollection is that it's quirky, interesting and not too challenging for the listener.
Can you tell me the name of yar wan that does it?
Back to top Go down

Another Irishy One Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Irishy One   Another Irishy One EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 6:59 pm

They have one on Newstalk too - 22:00 - 00:00 on a Friday night if memory serves me.
Back to top Go down

Another Irishy One Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Irishy One   Another Irishy One EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 7:03 pm

905 wrote:
I am doing a little study on the lingo and one thing I have noticed recently is the amount of Irish been spoken on the radio now. I had a quick look through a lot of the more popular station websites and I see that Spin 103.8, FM104 and 98FM all have Irish programmes. I think Tony Fenton also has a small piece in his programme (how many ms in programme? Oh, for a resident English teacher, hint hint) called 'Creid nó ná chreid'.

Have I missed any, and if anyone listens to these programmes are they any good? And is it just me, or are these a recent phenomena, or have they been around for ages?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Manual_of_Style_(spelling)
Scroll down half a page and look at the table there.
Back to top Go down

Another Irishy One Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Irishy One   Another Irishy One EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 7:04 pm

I am still predicting that we'll all be fluent in 10 years time.
English has just got boring.
Back to top Go down

Another Irishy One Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Irishy One   Another Irishy One EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 7:10 pm

10 years is a very short period of time.

I'm glad through popular media the language is being used more by older people. For too long the focus of the State in promoting bilingualism has been to place the responsibility on the shoulders of children.
Back to top Go down

Another Irishy One Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Irishy One   Another Irishy One EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 7:11 pm

cactus flower wrote:
I am still predicting that we'll all be fluent in 10 years time.
English has just got boring.

For how many years have you been predicting that, out of interest?
Back to top Go down

Another Irishy One Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Irishy One   Another Irishy One EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 7:42 pm

I think the reason for gaeilge on the radio is that it is a condition of each station's licence.

I recommend Radio Na Life for new music and gaeilge as well as some foreign language programmes. It is hit and miss but when it hits it is great. It was the first place I heard the Arctic Monkeys - way ahead of the curve.
Back to top Go down

Another Irishy One Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Irishy One   Another Irishy One EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 7:46 pm

Ah, license conditions. Oh well.

Apart from RnaL are there many foreign language programmes? I just don't listen to the rado that often.

Tom Dunne on Today FM was where I first heard t'Arctic Monkeys. Spin is the only place I hear them now. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down

Another Irishy One Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Irishy One   Another Irishy One EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 6:40 am

these niche stations allow rough diamonds
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Another Irishy One Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another Irishy One   Another Irishy One Empty

Back to top Go down

Another Irishy One
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Machine Nation  :: Vibes and Scribes :: Print and Televisual Media, Firebrand Cinema-
Jump to: