Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

The Spoken Word on CD

Go down 
AuthorMessage

The Spoken Word on CD Empty
PostSubject: The Spoken Word on CD   The Spoken Word on CD EmptyMon Apr 07, 2008 10:41 pm

I bought a CD called The Poet and The Piper about a year or so ago. Since the I have invested in a few more spoken word/poetry CDs.

I love em. I cant (wont) read poetry but I'll happily listen to Seamus Heaney "Diggin Spuds" with Liam Og O'Flynn playing the Uilainn in the background.

I also got one called "To the Waters and The Wild" in which the poetry of W.B. Yates is read against a background of haunting Irish trad tunes.

It makes me feel all "literary" all over.

I also got John Montague & the Cheiftains but its a long and epic peom and a bit heavy.

So now I'm hooked. I want more but I cant find it. Where can I get spoken word CDs of poetry or even great short stories?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Spoken Word on CD   The Spoken Word on CD EmptyMon Apr 07, 2008 10:46 pm

I can't help you on your quest. I did try one of those audio books a while back, it just wasn't the same.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Spoken Word on CD   The Spoken Word on CD EmptyMon Apr 07, 2008 10:51 pm

Johnny Keogh wrote:
I bought a CD called The Poet and The Piper about a year or so ago. Since the I have invested in a few more spoken word/poetry CDs.

I love em. I cant (wont) read poetry but I'll happily listen to Seamus Heaney "Diggin Spuds" with Liam Og O'Flynn playing the Uilainn in the background.

I also got one called "To the Waters and The Wild" in which the poetry of W.B. Yates is read against a background of haunting Irish trad tunes.

It makes me feel all "literary" all over.

I also got John Montague & the Cheiftains but its a long and epic peom and a bit heavy.

So now I'm hooked. I want more but I cant find it. Where can I get spoken word CDs of poetry or even great short stories?

Try Amazon.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Spoken Word on CD   The Spoken Word on CD EmptyMon Apr 07, 2008 11:02 pm

cactus flower wrote:
Try Amazon.

Just two spoken poetry CDs.

I think I might have discovered a niche market. Seamus Heaney is great to listen to. I think its his soft Northern Irish accent makes it sound wonderful.

plus the background of the traditional music gives it a truly poetic feel.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Spoken Word on CD   The Spoken Word on CD EmptyMon Apr 07, 2008 11:06 pm

You could...

*ahem*

I mean, you know, you might... like try, um.... somewhere like...

minonova.org or places like that for that kind of thing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Spoken Word on CD   The Spoken Word on CD EmptyMon Apr 07, 2008 11:24 pm

cookiemonster wrote:
You could...

*ahem*

I mean, you know, you might... like try, um.... somewhere like...

minonova.org or places like that for that kind of thing.

Domain no longer supported by advertiser

What was it anyway?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Spoken Word on CD   The Spoken Word on CD EmptyMon Apr 07, 2008 11:28 pm

sorry mininova.org.

It's a torrent site. They have stuff like that, you might luck out.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Spoken Word on CD   The Spoken Word on CD EmptyMon Apr 07, 2008 11:34 pm

cookiemonster wrote:
sorry mininova.org.

Have a listen this. Fking dead cool
http://spokenwordart.com/revolution.php
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Spoken Word on CD   The Spoken Word on CD EmptyMon Apr 07, 2008 11:58 pm

Perhaps we could have a link to a poem of the day.
Or week if too arduous
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Spoken Word on CD   The Spoken Word on CD EmptySat Apr 12, 2008 9:03 pm

Johnny Keogh wrote:
cookiemonster wrote:
sorry mininova.org.

Have a listen this. Fking dead cool
http://spokenwordart.com/revolution.php

I had a listen to this during the week and really enjoyed it. Thanks.

It harks back to the days when poetry was a political, satirical tool to be reckoned with - it would be great to see those days again.

Woody Harrelson - who would have thought?

Any other suggestions, Johnny?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Spoken Word on CD   The Spoken Word on CD EmptySat Apr 12, 2008 11:52 pm

Have you come across Aniar Johnny K? http://cdbaby.com/cd/tmdhonnagain4

I got it originally to hear Máirtín O Díreáin's Faoiseamh a Gheobhadsa read aloud but there's some other amazing stuff on it too
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Spoken Word on CD   The Spoken Word on CD EmptySun Apr 13, 2008 1:11 am

Code Twinkle wrote:
Have you come across Aniar Johnny K? http://cdbaby.com/cd/tmdhonnagain4

I got it originally to hear Máirtín O Díreáin's Faoiseamh a Gheobhadsa read aloud but there's some other amazing stuff on it too

The clips sound brilliant. My Irish is truely crap, however. My Irish teacher used to have a little joke; "Keogh (Ceo; Irish for mist), you hav'nt the foggiest" Smile or when I got yet another No Grade in Irish he would say "Well Keogh, at least your consistant."
Funnily enough I got on very well with him. I did'nt give a shite about Irish but I was fascinated by place names. "Why is Mayo called that?" and so on. He was actually very patient with my questions considering he had a class to teach.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Spoken Word on CD   The Spoken Word on CD Empty

Back to top Go down

The Spoken Word on CD
Page 1 of 1