Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet


Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton
 
PortalPortal  HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Share | 
 

 Progressive Democrats; About Us

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Progressive Democrats; About Us   Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:42 pm

Yo,
Thanks for the heads up on the site. Its much appreciated.
I promise not to be a total cheer-leader for the Democrats. I am open to inferior opinion. Smile

Here is a link to the Progressive Democrats site.
http://www.progressivedemocrats.ie/about_us/

Take is easy...
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Progressive Democrats; About Us   Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:45 pm

Is it Unity because there is only one of you, or because of the 1%?

By the way - welcome! leave your coat on the bed and help yourself from the kitchen/drinks and tune into Evotingmachine's party sounds bounce
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
avatar

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Progressive Democrats; About Us   Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:46 pm

Good evening Hiker. Great to see you. We're having a party. Very Happy

Howz things in the PDs these days. Keeping it together I hope.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Progressive Democrats; About Us   Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:51 pm

Johnny, I've followed the Forum on Europe across the country and I haven't heard one single person declare themselves a PD and propose the treaty. What gives?
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Progressive Democrats; About Us   Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:53 pm

Johnny you are at home here - someone believes this is the PD site to Politics.ie Fianna Fail ...

great party lads, did we break the record yet ..?
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Progressive Democrats; About Us   Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:12 am

Kate P wrote:
Johnny, I've followed the Forum on Europe across the country and I haven't heard one single person declare themselves a PD and propose the treaty. What gives?

Kate P. the Lisbon treaty is the very least of our problems at the moment. 1% opinion polls, a reluctant leader, a massively dimished parliamnatry party, morale low. should I continue?

I will be voting Yes and all my PD collegues will be voting Yes but until Cannon or O'Malley are elected new leader, then there is very little going to happen.

Christ but its hard being a Progressive Democrats these days. Mad
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Progressive Democrats; About Us   Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:13 am

Johnny Keogh wrote:
Kate P wrote:
Johnny, I've followed the Forum on Europe across the country and I haven't heard one single person declare themselves a PD and propose the treaty. What gives?

Kate P. the Lisbon treaty is the very least of our problems at the moment. 1% opinion polls, a reluctant leader, a massively dimished parliamnatry party, morale low. should I continue?

I will be voting Yes and all my PD collegues will be voting Yes but until Cannon or O'Malley are elected new leader, then there is very little going to happen.

Christ but its hard being a Progressive Democrats these days. Mad

We feel your pain. Have another drink.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Progressive Democrats; About Us   Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:20 am

Johnny Keogh wrote:
Kate P wrote:
Johnny, I've followed the Forum on Europe across the country and I haven't heard one single person declare themselves a PD and propose the treaty. What gives?

Kate P. the Lisbon treaty is the very least of our problems at the moment. 1% opinion polls, a reluctant leader, a massively dimished parliamnatry party, morale low. should I continue?

I will be voting Yes and all my PD collegues will be voting Yes but until Cannon or O'Malley are elected new leader, then there is very little going to happen.

Christ but its hard being a Progressive Democrats these days. Mad

But you've a great avatar - that must count for something.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Progressive Democrats; About Us   Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:23 am

There's a gap in the market for some party though - whether the PDs will revive is a great question. I just read the Breaking the Mould book recently and it's quite inspiring in fairness - they had/have solid ideals and commonsense economic policies in many respects.

I think it's a problem with the limits that both left/right politics are reaching though - someone on p.ie today - ballot stuffer - alluded to this and I agree - you need to start breaking more moulds...
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Progressive Democrats; About Us   Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:17 am

I look forward to hearing more from Hiker as these PDs have me scratching my head. They seem to be as close in Ireland of a group with some sense that I can find and yet they are on their last legs. I thought McDowel the justice guy was great in the 4 way debate and then I find out that he lost his seat, was it even a 5 seater constituency.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Progressive Democrats; About Us   Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:19 am

youngdan wrote:
I look forward to hearing more from Hiker as these PDs have me scratching my head. They seem to be as close in Ireland of a group with some sense that I can find and yet they are on their last legs. I thought McDowel the justice guy was great in the 4 way debate and then I find out that he lost his seat, was it even a 5 seater constituency.

I've always had great respect for McDowell as an intelligent and determined politician. I was sorry to see him lose his seat - even if it was to John Gormley.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Progressive Democrats; About Us   Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:23 am

It was a 4-seater. McDowell's brother More McDowell is also a respected economist - they are bright fellas.

Dublin South East
http://www.electionsireland.org/result.cfm?election=2007&cons=104
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Progressive Democrats; About Us   Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:49 am

Well he fended off the 3 socialists very well. The highlight for me was when he described them as The Left, The Far Left and The Left Behind. All 4 seemed far better than the big two
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Progressive Democrats; About Us   Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:53 am

youngdan wrote:
Well he fended off the 3 socialists very well. The highlight for me was when he described them as The Left, The Far Left and The Left Behind. All 4 seemed far better than the big two
Yeah in fairness that debate was great - the Left Overs I think he called the Greens - Laughing Pat Rabbitte also called him a menopausal Paris Hilton - it was quite shocking for two middle-aged men to be handbagging each other like that in public. As for the substantials of the debate - can't remember.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Progressive Democrats; About Us   Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:02 am

Who needs the details but the one liners were class
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Progressive Democrats; About Us   Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:13 am

Kate P wrote:
youngdan wrote:
I look forward to hearing more from Hiker as these PDs have me scratching my head. They seem to be as close in Ireland of a group with some sense that I can find and yet they are on their last legs. I thought McDowel the justice guy was great in the 4 way debate and then I find out that he lost his seat, was it even a 5 seater constituency.

I've always had great respect for McDowell as an intelligent and determined politician. I was sorry to see him lose his seat - even if it was to John Gormley.

I had that respect. His decisions as Minister for Justice in the last term reduced it. Mind you, I vote for John Gormley anyway, and he wasn't exactly giving away transfers...
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Progressive Democrats; About Us   Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:45 pm

Kate P wrote:


But you've a great avatar - that must count for something.

Me doing what I love best; hiking.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Progressive Democrats; About Us   Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:47 pm

Johnny Keogh wrote:
Kate P wrote:


But you've a great avatar - that must count for something.

Me doing what I love best; hiking.

Would you like to start and off-road walking thread and post a few good routes?
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Progressive Democrats; About Us   Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:49 pm

I would have liked to be a PD but then went a bit mad around the time I would have been ripe for the joining, plus they don't exist in my part of the world and while I would't mind throwing my hand in to help out I couldn't see my self in active politics here.
That and now they're a little bit unpredictable in what direction, if any, they'll take.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Progressive Democrats; About Us   Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:07 pm

cookiemonster wrote:
I would have liked to be a PD but then went a bit mad around the time I would have been ripe for the joining, plus they don't exist in my part of the world and while I would't mind throwing my hand in to help out I couldn't see my self in active politics here.
That and now they're a little bit unpredictable in what direction, if any, they'll take.

We're a bit like Forest Gumps Chocolate Box at the moment; "You never know what your gonna get".
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Progressive Democrats; About Us   Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:08 pm

cactus flower wrote:
Johnny Keogh wrote:
Kate P wrote:


But you've a great avatar - that must count for something.

Me doing what I love best; hiking.

Would you like to start and off-road walking thread and post a few good routes?

Yeah, I'd love to. Let me get a few notes together over the next little while and I'll post something.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Progressive Democrats; About Us   Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:49 pm

Johnny Keogh wrote:
cactus flower wrote:
Johnny Keogh wrote:
Kate P wrote:


But you've a great avatar - that must count for something.

Me doing what I love best; hiking.

Would you like to start and off-road walking thread and post a few good routes?

Yeah, I'd love to. Let me get a few notes together over the next little while and I'll post something.

Johnny, I have got to admire you for plugging away under the present circumstances. It may well be that after this dark hour the PDs will experience a resurgence now that the deep embarrassment of being tied to Bertie is over.
Attachment at the hip to FF while professing concern for civic virtue was always a difficult one. The PDs in that role could never be more that a sticking plaster over FF turpitude on the one hand, and the secret right wing of FF on the other.

Now that Bertie is gone and the days of regulation are upon us, the PDs are not needed to keep FF clean. FF is likely to become no more or less corrupt than any other political party. The economic nightmare that we are going to experience in the next few years is likely to throw up all kinds of demons, one if which will be the desire for a right wing party in Ireland. It may be the PDs, it may be Fine Gael or it may be Libertas. But there is no going back to the old days.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Progressive Democrats; About Us   Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:05 am

That is a fine post Cactus. I admire them too. I think you are right about economic plight giving rise to a right wing party. The danger is that racists and homophobes will join up to deliberatly sabotage it. The welfare state is finished and what is needed is a free interprise system. This stands no chance at present but it will soon enough. What ever percentage of pd members, however small, should form their own party and bide their time
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Progressive Democrats; About Us   Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:10 am

youngdan wrote:
That is a fine post Cactus. I admire them too. I think you are right about economic plight giving rise to a right wing party. The danger is that racists and homophobes will join up to deliberatly sabotage it. The welfare state is finished and what is needed is a free interprise system. This stands no chance at present but it will soon enough. What ever percentage of pd members, however small, should form their own party and bide their time

That is one of my main concerns, that the religious conservatives and racist crazies will flock to them and not so much drag them to the right but drag them down. As they started out, socially liberal 
economically liberal political party that focuses more on fostering and promoting trade snd economic development more than it focuses 
on who is doing what and where they are from.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Progressive Democrats; About Us   Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:19 am

youngdan wrote:
That is a fine post Cactus. I admire them too. I think you are right about economic plight giving rise to a right wing party. The danger is that racists and homophobes will join up to deliberatly sabotage it. The welfare state is finished and what is needed is a free interprise system. This stands no chance at present but it will soon enough. What ever percentage of pd members, however small, should form their own party and bide their time

Thanks for the appreciation youngdan, but I observe the prospect without enthusiam, and my admiration is for the person not the politics. I was watching a little of a programme from the US while our party was on, about how Bush has changed the bankruptcy laws to make it harder to declare bankruptcy after €60+ million of lobbying by credit card interests: the pips will surely squeak. I am a socialist: I think we are going to have to work together to survive: if we are fragmented down to one-off survivalism I think a lot of us won't make it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Progressive Democrats; About Us   

Back to top Go down
 
Progressive Democrats; About Us
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Progress Billing for Infra Projects
» FALSE FLAG RED ALERT: MEDIA PLOTTING WITH CLINTON OPERATIVES TO GUN DOWN DEMOCRATS AND BLAME IT ON TRUMP
» THE MOST IMPORTANT NEWS - NOW DEMOCRATS CALL OBAMA'S SHADOW GOVERNMENT "THE DEVIL"

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Machine Nation  :: Politics and Current News :: Party Manifestos: What is your Party upto at present?-
Jump to: