Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

So, you're an economist. Wow. That must be fascinating...

Go down 
AuthorMessage

So, you're an economist. Wow. That must be fascinating... Empty
PostSubject: So, you're an economist. Wow. That must be fascinating...   So, you're an economist. Wow. That must be fascinating... EmptySun Apr 06, 2008 10:22 pm

Opening lines...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So, you're an economist. Wow. That must be fascinating...   So, you're an economist. Wow. That must be fascinating... EmptySun Apr 06, 2008 11:00 pm

Was accused of being a civil engineer yesterday. Estate agent next I suppose Mad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So, you're an economist. Wow. That must be fascinating...   So, you're an economist. Wow. That must be fascinating... EmptySun Apr 06, 2008 11:12 pm

cactus flower wrote:
Was accused of being a civil engineer yesterday. Estate agent next I suppose Mad

No, no - there's a lot of rungs on the ladder before one gets down that far.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So, you're an economist. Wow. That must be fascinating...   So, you're an economist. Wow. That must be fascinating... EmptyMon Apr 07, 2008 12:59 am

Was at a party on Friday where we were discussing what we'd claim to be if we were to make up an occupation for ourselves.

One guy claimed to be a pilot for Alitalia. I *could* tell you what I really do, but then I'd have to kill you.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So, you're an economist. Wow. That must be fascinating...   So, you're an economist. Wow. That must be fascinating... EmptyMon Apr 07, 2008 1:37 am

Had a lot of amusement out of claiming to be a fish surgeon. Also a gravedigger.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So, you're an economist. Wow. That must be fascinating...   So, you're an economist. Wow. That must be fascinating... EmptyMon Apr 07, 2008 3:39 am

TheBear wrote:
Was at a party on Friday where we were discussing what we'd claim to be if we were to make up an occupation for ourselves.

One guy claimed to be a pilot for Alitalia. I *could* tell you what I really do, but then I'd have to kill you.

A hitman.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So, you're an economist. Wow. That must be fascinating...   So, you're an economist. Wow. That must be fascinating... EmptyMon Apr 07, 2008 11:44 am

It is fascinating. Did you know that Ricardo's theaory of rents, out-lined in the 19th Century, tells us a lot of what we need to know about why the prices of Venti Frappuccinos cost twice a standard cup of coffee in Starbucks?

Economics is fascinating as economics is life.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So, you're an economist. Wow. That must be fascinating...   So, you're an economist. Wow. That must be fascinating... EmptyMon Apr 07, 2008 12:44 pm

I have heard interesting things about the Coase theory relating to transaction costs and externalities. Have you studied that?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So, you're an economist. Wow. That must be fascinating...   So, you're an economist. Wow. That must be fascinating... EmptyMon Apr 07, 2008 1:24 pm

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
It is fascinating. Did you know that Ricardo's theaory of rents, out-lined in the 19th Century, tells us a lot of what we need to know about why the prices of Venti Frappuccinos cost twice a standard cup of coffee in Starbucks?

Ah - an undercover economist!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So, you're an economist. Wow. That must be fascinating...   So, you're an economist. Wow. That must be fascinating... EmptyMon Apr 07, 2008 9:13 pm

My job is as boring as it sounds, I don't need to make up another one.

Though I did once claim to be a scientology "chapter leader" or something at a dinner party once. 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So, you're an economist. Wow. That must be fascinating...   So, you're an economist. Wow. That must be fascinating... EmptyMon Apr 07, 2008 9:44 pm

ibis wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:

So you've read the book? It was a very stimulating use of old classical economics to understand contemporary life. I in fact did see the railway concourse as described in the book during my recent sojourn in London.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So, you're an economist. Wow. That must be fascinating...   So, you're an economist. Wow. That must be fascinating... EmptyMon Apr 07, 2008 10:17 pm

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
ibis wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:

So you've read the book? It was a very stimulating use of old classical economics to understand contemporary life. I in fact did see the railway concourse as described in the book during my recent sojourn in London.

I liked it - not very deep, but nice. I prefer "Reinventing the Bazaar", by, er, someone completely different.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So, you're an economist. Wow. That must be fascinating...   So, you're an economist. Wow. That must be fascinating... EmptyMon Apr 07, 2008 11:51 pm

Zhou_Enlai wrote:
I have heard interesting things about the Coase theory relating to transaction costs and externalities. Have you studied that?
Does that kind of talk do it for economists then?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So, you're an economist. Wow. That must be fascinating...   So, you're an economist. Wow. That must be fascinating... EmptySun Oct 12, 2008 5:55 pm

Who had the last laugh, meh Mad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So, you're an economist. Wow. That must be fascinating...   So, you're an economist. Wow. That must be fascinating... Empty

Back to top Go down

So, you're an economist. Wow. That must be fascinating...
Page 1 of 1