Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet


Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton
 
PortalPortal  HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Share | 
 

 Computer Candy

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Computer Candy   Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:55 pm

On this site
http://gallery.live.com/results.aspx?bt=1&pl=1&st=5
you will find desktop gadgets for Windows Vista, a favourite of mine being the moon phase one which updates as the moon goes through its phases. Others include the usual weather gadgets and so on.


Link in page for techy geeky stuff
http://gallery.live.com/results.aspx?bt=1&pl=1&st=5

Any more computer candy of any description please post it here.


Last edited by Auditor #9 on Tue May 06, 2008 9:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Computer Candy   Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:27 pm

If you have Vista you might already be able to do this. If you know the window-switcher function of pressing Alt+Tab (thumb resting on Alt and clicking Tab) try moving your thumb over one key to the left - the Windows key - instead of Alt - and now pressing Tab in the normal way...

I don't know if this works for every setting/distribution of Vista (goddam it)
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Computer Candy   Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:37 pm

Thanks for the window-switcher tip - I didn't know that one.

But the window-tab function just moves the page down for me. What should it do?
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Computer Candy   Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:43 pm

Aw it's nice - you are keeping your thumb on the Windows button (the Microsoft flag) and clicking on the Tab key and it just moves the whole window down?

Have you got a couple of browsers and other windows open? You need a few open to see it...
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Computer Candy   Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:45 pm

Actually no. Embarassed sorry about that.

It moves the cursor from one thing to the next on the page - but that's it. And I have a couple of other web pages open...

But the Alt-tab function is cute.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Computer Candy   Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:26 am

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/web/expert/bowman_vistapreview.mspx

Do you not get this below in Vista when you press the Windows Key + tab though? (windows key first)

Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Computer Candy   Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:07 am

Sorry for being such a nerd but maybe you all have XP?

Do you not get this below in Vista when you press the Windows Key + tab though? (windows key first)

Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Computer Candy   Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:16 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
Sorry for being such a nerd but maybe you all have
XP?
Linux, actually. Smile Though I've XP on a few boxes here for
Windows related work.

Regards...jmcc
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Computer Candy   Fri May 02, 2008 12:21 am

I have linux too ! ubuntu 7.10. I have Vista on the other partition though and I boot it up once a month just to check if it's still there. The eye candy with compiz fusion leaves Vista eye candy in the dark but the Vista one might impress you if you didn't know compiz and the cube etc.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Computer Candy   Fri May 02, 2008 12:28 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
I have linux too ! ubuntu 7.10. I have Vista on the other partition though and I boot it up once a month just to check if it's still there. The eye candy with compiz fusion leaves Vista eye candy in the dark but the Vista one might impress you if you didn't know compiz and the cube etc.

This is about only 50% intelligible to me. I feel like a troglodyte.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Computer Candy   Fri May 02, 2008 12:42 am

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:
I have linux too ! ubuntu
7.10. I have Vista on the other partition though and I boot it up once
a month just to check if it's still there. The eye candy with compiz
fusion leaves Vista eye candy in the dark but the Vista one might
impress you if you didn't know compiz and the cube etc.

This is about only 50% intelligible to me. I feel like a troglodyte.
Ok. Smile A brief translation:
Linux is a superior operating system to Microsoft Vista.
Ubuntu 7.10 is a type of Linux distribution.

The screensavers and graphics on Vista are impressive but they are
really designed to distract you from the fact that Vista is not a good
operating system. If you remember the hiccup that was Windows Me
(Millenium) then that's what Vista really is.

I do most of my serious work on Linux but I still use Windows XP for
some stuff because the data and statistics that I distill from the
databases (internet domain statistics) here are best expressed in
Microsoft Excel because it is the spreadsheet program of choice in
business.

Regards...jmcc
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Computer Candy   Fri May 02, 2008 12:46 am

jmcc wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:
I have linux too ! ubuntu
7.10. I have Vista on the other partition though and I boot it up once
a month just to check if it's still there. The eye candy with compiz
fusion leaves Vista eye candy in the dark but the Vista one might
impress you if you didn't know compiz and the cube etc.

This is about only 50% intelligible to me. I feel like a troglodyte.
Ok. Smile A brief translation:
Linux is a superior operating system to Microsoft Vista.
Ubuntu 7.10 is a type of Linux distribution.

The screensavers and graphics on Vista are impressive but they are
really designed to distract you from the fact that Vista is not a good
operating system. If you remember the hiccup that was Windows Me
(Millenium) then that's what Vista really is.

I do most of my serious work on Linux but I still use Windows XP for
some stuff because the data and statistics that I distill from the
databases (internet domain statistics) here are best expressed in
Microsoft Excel because it is the spreadsheet program of choice in
business.

Regards...jmcc

Míle buíochas, jmcc. I'm about medium when it comes to computing ability. I can type, use fora like these, IM, do about 5 different things on the PC, play fairly complicated games and stuff. It's just that the actual jargon of hardware and OSes and different software bewilders me. I do have technical wizards as friends so I just follow what they do and I'm happy out!
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Computer Candy   Tue May 06, 2008 12:49 am

You can have your private messages pop up by going to your Profile/Preferences and pressing the Yes button below:

Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Computer Candy   Tue May 06, 2008 1:59 am

How did you get that red arrow on that screen-shot? That looks good.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Computer Candy   Tue May 06, 2008 3:01 am

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
How did you get that red arrow on that screen-shot? That looks good.
A program called "Kolorpaint". When you get a second laptop we'll have you partition the drive on that one and install ubuntu - it has everything, everything I tell you.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Computer Candy   Tue May 06, 2008 3:03 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
How did you get that red arrow on that screen-shot? That looks good.
A program called "Kolorpaint". When you get a second laptop we'll have you partition the drive on that one and install ubuntu - it has everything, everything I tell you.

Again with the partition. To me, partition is something we republicans must erase from our isle in the next 15 years. How does one partition one's hard drive? Will I have to sign a treaty which plunges my desk-top into civil war?
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Computer Candy   Tue May 06, 2008 3:09 am

When you eventually, after a referendum, install a linux OS then it will automatically partition your disk for you and keep windows on one side and linux on the other. You'll have the option at boot up time to choose orange or green it's called a duel boot.

We should split this off into an install linux on your computer thread...
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Computer Candy   Tue May 06, 2008 3:14 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
When you eventually, after a referendum, install a linux OS then it will automatically partition your disk for you and keep windows on one side and linux on the other. You'll have the option at boot up time to choose orange or green it's called a duel boot.

We should split this off into an install linux on your computer thread...

Oh, so it does this for you. Nifty, I suppose, then, it's like the UN in Cyprus.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Computer Candy   Tue May 06, 2008 3:16 am

Laughing
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Computer Candy   Tue May 06, 2008 3:17 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
Laughing

I'm glad I've made you laugh. It's a return for the jollies on the Broadband thread.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Computer Candy   Tue May 06, 2008 4:23 pm

Nobody on Ubuntu 8.04?
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Computer Candy   Tue May 06, 2008 5:29 pm

eoinmn wrote:
Nobody on Ubuntu 8.04?
No, are you? If I had a third partition I'd put it there in a shot but only two at the moment I'm afraid, and only one pc too. I'm quite nervous to do it as it took me weeks to get the wifi working although I'm a lot more familiar with the system now. I had to do niggly little things because ALSA wasn't behaving as it should but not much else though actually nothing else. I'd hate it if Hardy Heron fecked my settings up. If you've done it let us know.

Does anyone have a clue about turning your OS into a streaming box? There are a few programs - icecast is one - where you can basically make your pc into a radio station. Your fans can then log on to your playlist remotely and listen to your music. I've had little success with this so far however (not a lot of persistence or time) as some of these programs require dependencies and require compiling with dependent libraries etc. and also require switching off the firewall

Which is why I'd love another laptop just to prick around with ...

Next computer I get it'll be half a dozen partitions with half a dozen different distros. I had three on this originally but can't split the existing two down any further for some reason I haven't looked into fully.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Computer Candy   Tue May 06, 2008 7:17 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:


Next computer I get it'll be half a dozen partitions with half a dozen different distros. I had three on this originally but can't split the existing two down any further for some reason I haven't looked into fully.

Would each distro be used for each partitioned space on your hard drive? Is that the idea?
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Computer Candy   Tue May 06, 2008 9:16 pm

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:


Next computer I get it'll be half a dozen partitions with half a dozen different distros. I had three on this originally but can't split the existing two down any further for some reason I haven't looked into fully.

Would each distro be used for each partitioned space on your hard drive? Is that the idea?
Yes. It's like having a number of different computers when you partition drives except you can't use them simultaneously. Well .. you can boot up linux and then run windows as a program inside it so you can have both at once. I don't know what the limit on hard drive partitions is but I'd love to find out. SuSe, BSD, Sun .... ah yes, bring em on.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Computer Candy   Tue May 06, 2008 11:39 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:


Next computer I get it'll be half a dozen partitions with half a dozen different distros. I had three on this originally but can't split the existing two down any further for some reason I haven't looked into fully.

Would each distro be used for each partitioned space on your hard drive? Is that the idea?
Yes. It's like having a number of different computers when you partition drives except you can't use them simultaneously. Well .. you can boot up linux and then run windows as a program inside it so you can have both at once. I don't know what the limit on hard drive partitions is but I'd love to find out. SuSe, BSD, Sun .... ah yes, bring em on.

So, in effect, the computer has multiple personalities? Again, with my single Windows XP, I feel like a troglodyte.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Computer Candy   

Back to top Go down
 
Computer Candy
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next
 Similar topics
-
» kitten-AGAIN..two sides to a marriage and making a deal regarding candy?
» Queen Elizabeth angry guards for stealing nuts Buckingham Palace
» Eye Candy
» Delicious ' Junk food ' recommendations ( Cake, doughnuts, pastry, candy, etc )
» Fiona Barnett Candy Girl Documentary Part 1 of 2 / Satanic Ritual Abuse - TW

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Machine Nation  :: Machine Nation :: Science, Technology, Engineering, Computers-
Jump to: