Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Cork Hurlers

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Cork Hurlers Empty
PostSubject: Cork Hurlers   Cork Hurlers EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 1:21 pm

Gerald McCarthy has resigned because of death threats to him and abuse of his family.

The Cork Hurlers episode has sickened me altogether.

At a time when the country has big problems this is the kind of issue that motivates people to issues death threats. At a time when we are facing bankruptcy and a fight to survive a plethora of journalists are getting worked up about the Cork hurlers dispute.

Sport is surely the crack cocaine of the masses. These sports commentators and "fanatics" have gone overboard and grossly over-estimated the importance of these issues. Indeed, I believe that the hurlers, the journalists, Frank Murphy, the County Board delegates and even Gerald McCarthy have all grossly over-estimated their own importance and skill.

For my part, I will not go to another game involving Cork. They have eschewed the goals and aims of the GAA and made it subsidiary to their own goals and aims. All parties have felt the glory of winning, the thrill of power, the hubris of honours bestowed and all (save and except Gerald McCarthy perhaps) are seeking to turn the association to their own aims. If they want glory and honour for themselves and to be hero worshipped by the brain-washed fanatics then they can do it on somebody else's dollar.

I am all for player welfare and proper facilities and medical treatment and travel subsidies but if the GAA goes professional I won't attend any of those professional games.

Also, the fact that they are bringing in even more full time county secretaries shows just how stupid the GAA top brass are. If the Association runs itself as a professional profit making organisation then it cannot expect the county players to behave otherwise. Mickey Hart's criticism's of the Aussie Rules Series are also starting to ring true for me.
Back to top Go down

Cork Hurlers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cork Hurlers   Cork Hurlers EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 2:18 pm

Are you sure about the death threats? I heard that alleged on the news last night. Is it all so negative? What about the 3,000 decent club members who marched the other night? The players, who have behaved with dignity throughout, and were prepared to sacrifice their sporting careers?

I don't know anything about the ins and outs of the dispute, and who was right and wrong. If it is true about the death threats and abuse, shame on the idiots who made them. I wouldn't tar people generally with that brush.

I opposed the moves by Government to bring GAA into the control and obligation of public funding through my own club.
The independence of the GAA was its prime value. While government closed down sports and community facilities in the 1980s (FG and FF) the GAA was able to continue developing.

I agree with much of what you say otherwise Zhou.
Back to top Go down

Cork Hurlers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cork Hurlers   Cork Hurlers EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 2:22 pm

It's scandalous.

Quote :
McCarthy: I received death threats
11/03/2009 - 01:20:21

Gerald McCarthy has revealed that he has received death threats and made formal complaints to gardaí about them.

In a 1,000-word statement confirming his resignation as Cork senior hurling manager last night, the former All-Ireland winner felt he was left with no choice but to resign.

“I have decided to step down as manager of the Cork senior hurling team, effective immediately,” McCarthy said.

Despite his resignation, McCarthy is of the belief that this will not be end of the problems for Leeside hurling, but just the beginning.

“I am not, as some would have it, resigning 'for the good of Cork hurling'. In fact and without being presumptuous, I would regard my resignation in the current circumstances as being detrimental to Cork hurling in the long term.”

http://www.examiner.ie/breaking/sport/eyaucwcwausn/
Back to top Go down

Cork Hurlers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cork Hurlers   Cork Hurlers EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 2:32 pm

tbfrank, that resignation statement makes me understand why the players could not abide with working with him.
Back to top Go down

Cork Hurlers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cork Hurlers   Cork Hurlers EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 2:48 pm

Why - did you read it all ?

I don't know what's really going on I have to admit - issuing death threats is a bit much though. Although he 'says' he's getting death threats ... could be bullshetting
Back to top Go down

Cork Hurlers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cork Hurlers   Cork Hurlers EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 4:20 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:

I don't know what's really going on I have to admit - issuing death threats is a bit much though. Although he 'says' he's getting death threats ... could be bullshetting

Shame on me, I had not read it all. Embarassed I have now, and he says amongst other things that people stayed away from his mother's funeral (perhaps they felt that their presence would not have been wanted?) and that his son received a death thread aimed at him.

What strikes me about his statement is that everyone else is to blame for everything. I'd say the players will be relieved to be playing again. I do hope it all wasn't about money, as he suggests.
Back to top Go down

Cork Hurlers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cork Hurlers   Cork Hurlers EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 4:35 pm

cactus flower wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:

Shame on me, I had not read it all. Embarassed I have now, and he says amongst other things that people stayed away from his mother's funeral (perhaps they felt that their presence would not have been wanted?) and that his son received a death thread aimed at him.

What strikes me about his statement is that everyone else is to blame for everything. I'd say the players will be relieved to be playing again. I do hope it all wasn't about money, as he suggests.
That probably depends on who replaces McCarthy. I doubt Frank Murphy will take this reversal lying down.
Back to top Go down

Cork Hurlers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cork Hurlers   Cork Hurlers EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 4:47 pm

I don't know anything about the situation because I am not a GAA fan. However, I do have much experience playing and coaching in sport; regardless of the rights and wrongs of the situation I would not envy whoever takes over as manager. Entering a situation with that much player power in the dressing room is a toxic mix in sport. I would hazard a guess the whole thing won't be sorted until a fair number of the current squad move on.
Back to top Go down

Cork Hurlers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cork Hurlers   Cork Hurlers EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 4:50 pm

This has hit the very young...

Cork Hurlers Image001

*Frank Murphy has ruined my life*
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Cork Hurlers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cork Hurlers   Cork Hurlers Empty

Back to top Go down

Cork Hurlers