Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

EU and Transparency

Go down 
AuthorMessage

EU and Transparency Empty
PostSubject: EU and Transparency   EU and Transparency EmptyFri Apr 04, 2008 11:50 pm

ibis wrote (on the Lisbon and Neutrality thread)
Quote :
True - the funny thing is that a favourite argument is sovereignty / national self-determination - by a government they don't trust, who are elected on not very different terms, and who are currently a whole lot less transparent than the EU.

I'm always fascinated by the assertion that the EU is more transparent than our national government. It is never qualified.

I'm sure Edo, cookiemonster and ibis will be able to explain what exactly it means.

Please and thank you. Smile
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: EU and Transparency   EU and Transparency EmptySat Apr 05, 2008 12:00 am

Ehhh, I seem to remember a rather dubious scandal 18 months ago where EU finance was all over the place due to a single entry accounting system. Despite the fact the everyone else uses a Double entry system. It took a long time for it to be exposed, and I think money got lost on paper.
(I stand corrected if I got this arseways)

Anyway, the point is, I don't see how they can be more transparent. It is a massive unknown bureaucracy.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: EU and Transparency   EU and Transparency EmptySat Apr 05, 2008 12:26 am

evm you are right on the basic point about the books being single entry - Marta Andriessen was the name of one whistleblower. A very mild-mannered person and a very professional EU employee. Then she started pointing out a few things that did not seem right, would not shut up about the situation and so was sacked in short order.

She - with others of courage - is mentioned here in a general discussion on whistleblowing.

Plenty more if you google her name, or that of Paul van Buitenen who was Internal Auditor at the Commission.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: EU and Transparency   EU and Transparency EmptySat Apr 05, 2008 1:32 am

Quote :
For years, one of UKIP's main lines of attack has been that "the
European Commission is so corrupt that its books have not been signed
off by the auditors for the last 12 years".

With this in mind
I'm looking forward to them giving a statement on this week's report
from the House of Lords, which finds "no evidence to support this
suggestion".

According to the Lords, the problems that have
prevented the auditors from signing off the books, comes not from
corruption but from other problems and an inadequate system of auditing
that gives an inaccurate, negative impression.

Sir John Bourn,
head of the UK National Audit Office, stated that he would not be able
to sign off the accounts of the UK Government should he have operated
the same system here.

The Lord's report calls upon the European Court of Auditors to:

-
Make a clear separation between the audit of the Commission's accounts
- which has always been positive - and the statement of assurance on
the regularity and legality of underlying transactions - which has
always been qualified in certain specific fields

- Give separate verdicts on each different category of spending, instead of one overall verdict

- Make a clear distinction between fraud and other kinds of irregularity, giving separate figures for each

- List member states which demonstrate poor management of EU funds

Little challenge - find the following information:

1a. voting record of your TD
1b. voting record of your MEP

2a. Heads and spending of EU agencies
2b. Heads and spending of Irish agencies

3a. Budget 2007 for the ECJ
3b. Budget 2007 for the Irish Supreme Court

4a. What plans the EU has for a Register of Lobbyists
4b. What plans the Irish government has for a Register of Lobbyists
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: EU and Transparency   EU and Transparency EmptySat Apr 05, 2008 2:15 am

Still stuck on questions 1a and 1b. I gather there is no official answer to 1a (trick question!) and I may eventually, in the swirl and mire that is eu-stuff, find the answer to 1b. I feel like a kid picking up coins at the bottom of the swimming pool... it has to be here somewhere...
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: EU and Transparency   EU and Transparency EmptySat Apr 05, 2008 2:18 am

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: EU and Transparency   EU and Transparency EmptySat Apr 05, 2008 12:33 pm

EvotingMachine0197 wrote:
Stuck on 1a. ??

[url=http://historical-debates.oireachtas.ie/en.toc.dail.html
http://historical-debates.oireachtas.ie/en.toc.dail.html[/quote[/url]]

I did check that out - but I wasn't (and still amn't) able to find out how many votes Brian Cowen, for example, participated in last year....

Am I missing something?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: EU and Transparency   EU and Transparency EmptySat Apr 05, 2008 5:18 pm

Has anyone even found a list of Irish agencies and quangos, never mind who heads them or how much they spend?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: EU and Transparency   EU and Transparency EmptySat Apr 05, 2008 6:04 pm

ibis wrote:
Has anyone even found a list of Irish agencies and quangos, never mind who heads them or how much they spend?

Where to start????
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: EU and Transparency   EU and Transparency EmptySat Apr 05, 2008 6:43 pm

For 2a you can start here. For Irish agencies....maybe when Enda publishes his list, if that's what he's doing?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: EU and Transparency   EU and Transparency EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 7:29 pm

not sure where to put this...

Fri. 18 April 2008:
Public Conference: The Treaty of Lisbon and the Irish Referendum: Perspectives and Reflections - Irish Society for European Law, Dublin
www.isel.ie/coming.htm
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: EU and Transparency   EU and Transparency EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 7:31 pm

Zhou_Enlai wrote:
not sure where to put this...

Fri. 18 April 2008:
Public Conference: The Treaty of Lisbon and the Irish Referendum: Perspectives and Reflections - Irish Society for European Law, Dublin
www.isel.ie/coming.htm

Any idea who is speaking? Technology and the privacy law looks interesting.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: EU and Transparency   EU and Transparency EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 7:34 pm

No idea.

Unfortunately the Technology and Privacy one looks like it was on yesterday!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: EU and Transparency   EU and Transparency EmptySat Apr 12, 2008 12:52 am

The information below comes from p.ie courtesy of RedRose of Cork. I've already registered for this - anyone else planning to go?

Quote :
This looks like being the best and most balanced line up to date

PUBLIC CONFERENCE ON THE TREATY OF LISBON
Friday, 18 April 2008
2.30 p.m. – 5.30pm

President’s Hall, Law Society of Ireland,
Blackhall Place, Dublin 7

THE TREATY OF LISBON AND THE IRISH REFERENDUM: PERSPECTIVES AND REFLECTIONS

The conference is open to all and is free of charge.
Solicitors'/Barristers’ CPD Allocation: 3 Hours Group Study

PROGRAMME

2.30pm - 2.40pm: Introductory Comments, Chairman Maurice Hayes

2.40pm - 3pm: “Reflections on the Treaty of Lisbon and the Irish Referendum” Peter Sutherland

3pm - 3.20pm: "Giving the EU the constitutional form of a State" Anthony
Coughlan

3.20pm - 3.30pm - Questions and Answers

3.30 - 3.50pm: "The Treaty of Lisbon: Intergovernmentalism Resurgent,
Constitutionalism Moribund?" Professor Michael Dougan

3.50pm - 4.10pm: [TOPIC TO BE CONFIRMED] Speaker from the Libertas Institute

4.10pm - 4.30pm- Tea break

4.30pm - 4.50pm: "The Treaty of Lisbon, the Consequences for Europe's
Smaller States" Mary Lou McDonald, MEP

4.50 - 5.10pm: "Interpreting the Treaty: The Court of Justice after
Lisbon" Dr Niamh Nic Shuibhne

5.10pm - 5.30pm - Questions and Answers

5.30pm: Closing remarks

SPEAKERS PROFILES:

Anthony Coughlan is Senior Lecturer Emeritus in Social Policy, Trinity College Dublin and Secretary of the National Platform

Michael Dougan is Professor of European Law, Jean Monnet Chair in EU law, Liverpool Law School

Mary Lou McDonald is an MEP and member of Sinn Féin.

Niamh Nic Shuibhne is Reader in EC Law, Director of Postgraduate Studies; School of Law, University of Edinburgh.

Peter Sutherland is Chairman of BP plc and a former EU Commissioner.

Speaker from the Libertas Institute. The Libertas Institute is a new European movement, that is opposing the ratification of the Treaty of Lisbon in Ireland.

As space is limited, you are requested to register in advance to reserve your place. All legal practitioners wishing to avail of CPD points should indicate this when registering to ensure that certificates of attendance can be collected on the day. To reserve your place and for further details, please contact: Dr. Elaine Fahey, Committee member, ISEL by email: elaine.fahey@dit.ie or telephone: (01) 402 7183.

The ISEL is grateful to the EU & International Affairs Committee of the Law Society of Ireland who are hosting the conference and a reception following the conference.

Last edited by Kate P on Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: EU and Transparency   EU and Transparency EmptySat Apr 12, 2008 1:02 am

Why do they always have these on during the day! Neutral
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: EU and Transparency   EU and Transparency EmptySat Apr 12, 2008 1:17 am

url=https://machinenation.forumakers.com/the-new-europe-forum-f30/water-privatisation-and-the-eu-t295-25.htm#6138
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: EU and Transparency   EU and Transparency EmptyWed Apr 23, 2008 4:11 pm

There was an effort on p.ie to create a consolidated comparison. Is that available anywhere?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: EU and Transparency   EU and Transparency Empty

Back to top Go down

EU and Transparency
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Machine Nation  :: Politics and Current News :: The Open Europe Forum-
Jump to: