Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet


Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton
 
PortalPortal  HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Share | 
 

 Fish, Friday.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Fish, Friday.   Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:11 pm

It's Friday; am I the only one that still eats fish today?
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Fish, Friday.   Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:24 pm

Nope, to my shame - I had a big old pork chop today and curried noodles..

Is it a religious thing - you not eating fish?
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Fish, Friday.   Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:28 pm

It's a habit thing. I've had a plate of chicken wings myself today, but when I go home it's smoked fish.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Fish, Friday.   Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:32 pm

Had a Spar deli tuna roll this morning. uhh.Does that count as fish?
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Fish, Friday.   Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:00 pm

Fish for dinner....most Fridays.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Fish, Friday.   Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:26 pm

I don't eat much meat anyway but I had fish today as I do several times a week. I make an effort to eat fish on Friday but not for any currently held religious belief. As a nation we don't eat enough fish at all.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Fish, Friday.   Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:08 pm

Kate P wrote:
I don't eat much meat anyway but I had fish today as I do several times a week. I make an effort to eat fish on Friday but not for any currently held religious belief. As a nation we don't eat enough fish at all.

I do try to eat as little fish as possible...
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Fish, Friday.   Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:27 pm

Had a can of sardines with Bread and cheese for breakfast - dont ask - old habit from the time I lived in and around the Med that has stayed with me

Kalamari soup for lunch

have no idea what Im having for dinner yet - absolutely bolloxed - that Creighton one dragged me the length and breath of Sandymount this evening advertising the Lisbon gig in the Stillorgan Park Hotel on Monday at 8pm.

Im thinking mushrooms scallions tomatoes and cheese on toast.


Last edited by Edo on Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:28 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling!)
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
avatar

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Fish, Friday.   Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:27 pm

Chips and Beer. It's Friday.

Edo, I love sardines, and always keep a can or two in the press for emergencies. Trouble is, when I open one up, everyone else in the house legs it. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Fish, Friday.   Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:34 pm

Edo wrote:
Had a can of sardines with Bread and cheese for breakfast - dont ask - old habit from the time I lived in and around the Med that has stayed with me

Kalamari soup for lunch

have no idea what Im having for dinner yet - absolutely bolloxed - that Creighton one dragged me the length and breath of Sandymount this evening advertising the Lisbon gig in the Stillorgan Park Hotel on Monday at 8pm.

Im thinking mushrooms scallions tomatoes and cheese on toast.






Was that nice, Edo?
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Fish, Friday.   Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:39 am

Kate P wrote:
As a nation we don't eat enough fish at all.
Matronising eh? I was under the impression that fish were becoming the fur coat of the food industry, what with all that overfishing.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Fish, Friday.   Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:08 pm

'Matronising - I like that word!

We have a very narrow appetite for fish which consists of (latterly) salmon and cod - which is badly over-fished. And some nicely dyed, frozen (warning- do not re-freeze) coley or haddock. That's it.

Historically we've been a nation that doesn't eat a lot of fish. My own butcher only has fish on Thursday afternoon and Friday. The Japanese, as an island nation, eat anything that comes out of the sea while we are considerably fussier. There'd be less overfishing if we had a more inclusive appetite. Still, it's very peculiar that historically, on this island nation, fish has been the poor second cousin to meat.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Fish, Friday.   Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:18 pm

Kate P wrote:
'Matronising - I like that word!

We have a very narrow appetite for fish which consists of (latterly) salmon and cod - which is badly over-fished. And some nicely dyed, frozen (warning- do not re-freeze) coley or haddock. That's it.

Historically we've been a nation that doesn't eat a lot of fish. My own butcher only has fish on Thursday afternoon and Friday. The Japanese, as an island nation, eat anything that comes out of the sea while we are considerably fussier. There'd be less overfishing if we had a more inclusive appetite. Still, it's very peculiar that historically, on this island nation, fish has been the poor second cousin to meat.

Indeed - but then some people will eat anything in the name of science.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Fish, Friday.   Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:43 pm

ibis wrote:
Indeed - but then some people will eat anything in the name of science.
Is the Japanese fish diet based on science? They like whales too. Sushi is the best fast food and yummy yum yum with the green mustard stuff and soy sauce. I used to haunt Yammamori Noodles in Dublin, never Wagamamma..
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Fish, Friday.   Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:43 pm

Actually, the more I look at that....the Irish aren't great fish-eaters, and have a very small fleet. Our contribution to the over-fishing (both as consumers and harvesters), while not negligible, is in the penny place compared to the over-fishing done by nations who do eat a far wider range than us, so I rather doubt the relevance of that to the problem.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Fish, Friday.   Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:45 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
ibis wrote:
Indeed - but then some people will eat anything in the name of science.
Is the Japanese fish diet based on science? They like whales too. Sushi is the best fast food and yummy yum yum with the green mustard stuff and soy sauce. I used to haunt Yammamori Noodles in Dublin, never Wagamamma..

Whale is not very interesting - a bit like heavily gravied beef, if that makes sense. Sushi I haven't come around to at all, although my daughter is a big fan.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Fish, Friday.   Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:15 pm

Quote :
the green mustard stuff
wasabi?

Cookie Monster put me onto Wagamamma and I quite like the broth. It's not a pleasant place to eat alone though - and I eat alone quite a lot. Yammamori I haven't looked into. Sushi I haven't gotten around to.

The Japanese diet of fish is based, I would surmise, on the fact that there's quite a lot of it around. Rather like we took to the spud - cheap and plentiful.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Fish, Friday.   Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:39 pm

Yammamori is across from Hogans or is it Brogans or Grogans? There is a nice busy noisy atmosphere in there like a busy fast food place. And the broth and udon noodles ... wasabi exactly.

How does a child get into sushi ibis? The best fast food there is...
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Fish, Friday.   Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:09 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
Yammamori is across from Hogans or is it Brogans or Grogans? There is a nice busy noisy atmosphere in there like a busy fast food place. And the broth and udon noodles ... wasabi exactly.

How does a child get into sushi ibis? The best fast food there is...

In the case of my daughter, by putting it in front of her and saying "try this, it's delicious".
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Fish, Friday.   Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:16 pm

I love fish but I really don't eat enough of it.

I love a bit of John Dory, but it's VERY expensive here, if you can get it at all.
Also lemon sole.. oooh fishy baby!

I love sushi too. Mmmmmm, I must have some fish this week.

But I hate, hate HATE salmon. Euuuwwww.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Fish, Friday.   Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:31 pm

ibis wrote:
some people will eat anything in the name of science.

How about this for scientific eating, from Down Under by Bill Bryson:
Quote :
A nineteenth century naturalist named Gerard Krefft ... in 1857 caught two very rare pig-footed bandicoots. Unfortunately for science and for the bandicoots, Krefft soon afterwards grew hungry and ate them. They were, as far as anyone can tell, the last of the species. Certainly none has been seen since. Krefft, incidentally, was later appointed head of the Australian Museum in Sydney, but was invited to seek alternative employment when it was discovered that he was supplementing his income by selling pornographic postcards. I am sure there must be a moral in there somewhere
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Fish, Friday.   Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:52 pm

cookiemonster wrote:
I love fish but I really don't eat enough of it.

I love a bit of John Dory, but it's VERY expensive here, if you can get it at all.
Also lemon sole.. oooh fishy baby!

I love sushi too. Mmmmmm, I must have some fish this week.

But I hate, hate HATE salmon. Euuuwwww.

Lemon sole is great - it cooks while you're looking around you.

Nigel Slater has a fabulous recipe for salmon. I do the food for all the family communions, funerals, parties and general gigs (even did most of a wedding once) and even people who hate salmon love this.

Get the fishmonger to open one side of a whole salmon and gut it. I get him to take out the backbone too because even the kids like this - and take off the head - because even the kids don't like that.

Rinse the fish, pat it down well with kitchen paper. Put lots of dill (fresh, big fat fronds, not powdery shrivels of dried stuff) and half a dozen bay leaves inside. Smear the outside with butter and press in lashings of roughly crushed salt and black pepper. Bake in tinfoil - I don't remember for how long but it's not very long.

Crusty white bread or brown, creme fraiche and capers and, as the original Kate P used to say "you wouldn't call the Queen your aunt."

If only good salmon wasn't so expensive... (costs me a fortune through my butcher and I don't like buying it from the supermarket where is provenance is hard to establish - though I do buy it in summer when Tesco have whole salmon on offer and close my eyes and fill the freezer Embarassed I figure it's a sin to let it go to waste. Poor fishies dying in vain.)
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
avatar

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Fish, Friday.   Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:58 pm

Baked smoked Coley mixed in with mashed potatoes, accompanied by fresh or mushy peas. Nob of butter and 4 turns of black pepper on top.

Simply stunning. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Fish, Friday.   Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:55 pm

(frozen) wild salmon, Helman's and spring onion mash potato, steamed frozen broccoli and a glass of white wine. Life is good.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Fish, Friday.   Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:21 am

For my sins I had canned chicken soup today. It's the wateriest stuff on the go, I actually drank it from th bowl.

The sooner my mother comes back from her cruise the better.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Fish, Friday.   

Back to top Go down
 
Fish, Friday.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Woman of God dreaming of little fish
» I tried to resuscitate my fish.
» Cauliflower & Fish bake
» My Good Friday Labyrinth Walk (short short story)
» terrorist fish. washing machines and ovens

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Machine Nation  :: Welcome and Chat :: Gardening and Cookery-
Jump to: