Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

The Enneagram

Go down 
AuthorMessage

The Enneagram Empty
PostSubject: The Enneagram   The Enneagram EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 1:04 am

A friend of mine recently introduced me to the Enneagram. For anyone who hasn't heard of it, this is a classification of personality types which apparently is thousands of years old, originating in Sufism or something even older. According to the Enneagram there are nine basic personality types each of which has elements of some of the others. At first I thought it was probably a load of new age bs, but now I'm completely hooked on it. The best online source of information that I've discovered is the Enneagram Institute website.

The Enneagram theory has been bagged and adapted for many different perspectives, uses and motives but the basic theory is still very compelling imo.

You do need to give it a bit of thought and indepth reading to really get it - at which point you may well still say its a crock, but it'd be fun maybe to do some personality analyses and general chat about what makes us all who we are.

http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/
Back to top Go down

The Enneagram Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Enneagram   The Enneagram EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 1:31 am

I was just talking about this the other day, and wondering if I could find somewhere online to get a test...

thanks.

Type 1 Type 2 Type 3 Type 4 Type 5 Type 6 Type 7 Type 8 Type 9

Back to top Go down

The Enneagram Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Enneagram   The Enneagram EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 1:35 am

It'll probably go back to normal after I take my schizophrenia pills

thanks yeah right

The Enneagram Temp66
Back to top Go down

The Enneagram Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Enneagram   The Enneagram EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 2:20 am

So you're a 9 then Audi?

Last edited by Aragon on Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

The Enneagram Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Enneagram   The Enneagram EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 2:23 am

Aragon wrote:
So your a 9 then Audi?

I was pushing for the 9 but turns out I'm either a 4 or a 6. A psycho or a superhero-problem solver. How I find out which exactly I don't know but I'd say it has something to do with the moon. How about you

What are you ?
Back to top Go down

The Enneagram Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Enneagram   The Enneagram EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 2:38 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
Aragon wrote:
So your a 9 then Audi?

I was pushing for the 9 but turns out I'm either a 4 or a 6. A psycho or a superhero-problem solver. How I find out which exactly I don't know but I'd say it has something to do with the moon. How about you

What are you ?

From my extremely limited knowledge of you I'd say you're a 6 with a strong 9 influence which is exactly what the enneagram would say of a 'healthy' six. However, on your 'stress arrow', a 6 would be heading for the more negative side of what a 3 is - and I dont get that from you at all via this board - but ya never can tell!

I'm a 7.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

The Enneagram Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Enneagram   The Enneagram EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 2:50 am

Before I read the thread, is this more fruitcake American shite ?
Back to top Go down

The Enneagram Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Enneagram   The Enneagram EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 2:56 am

EvotingMachine0197 wrote:
Before I read the thread, is this more fruitcake American shite ?

It could be EVM - but I'm allergic to that sort of stuff usually but unless I've gone gaga without noticing it, I really think this thing has something going for it. Fruitcake American shite is exactly what I strongly suspected it would be before I got into it.
Either way, have a go at it and see what you can make of it yourself?
Back to top Go down

The Enneagram Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Enneagram   The Enneagram EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 3:56 am

Type 1 Type 2 Type 3 Type 4 Type 5 Type 6 Type 7 Type 8 Type 9

A six - the same as richard Nixon. I'm off to lie down and think about it for a while!
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

The Enneagram Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Enneagram   The Enneagram EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 4:12 am

Why should I take part in this when nobody bothered to make an effort on my mini electronics quiz ?
Back to top Go down

The Enneagram Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Enneagram   The Enneagram EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 11:00 am

I'm a four. Did a course on this a couple of years ago and found it fascinating. Tend more to 5 than three.

Can't tell you the sickening feeling that came over me when I realised that while being unique, I'm not unique at all.
Back to top Go down

The Enneagram Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Enneagram   The Enneagram EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 11:47 am

Type Five
The Investigator

The perceptive, cerebral type. Fives are alert, insightful, and curious. They are able to concentrate and focus on developing complex ideas and skills. Independent, innovative, and inventive, they can also become preoccupied with their thoughts and imaginary constructs. They become detached, yet high-strung and intense. They typically have problems with eccentricity, nihilism, and isolation. At their Best: visionary pioneers, often ahead of their time, and able to see the world in an entirely new way.
Back to top Go down

The Enneagram Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Enneagram   The Enneagram EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 12:06 pm

Whilst I'd not be a fan of enneagrams I did the test anyway:

Type Eight in Brief
The Challenger
Eights are self-confident, strong, and assertive. Protective, resourceful, straight-talking, and decisive, but can also be ego-centric and domineering. Eights feel they must control their environment, especially people, sometimes becoming confrontational and intimidating. Eights typically have problems with their tempers and with allowing themselves to be vulnerable. At their Best: self-mastering, they use their strength to improve others' lives, becoming heroic, magnanimous, and inspiring.
Back to top Go down

The Enneagram Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Enneagram   The Enneagram EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 1:45 pm

Why should I take part in this when nobody bothered to make an effort on my mini electronics quiz ?

EVM - I'm really sorry - what forum is it in? Are you in a sulk? Smile

Edit: Forgot to add summary of a seven:

Type Seven in Brief

Sevens are extroverted, optimistic, versatile, and spontaneous. Playful, high-spirited, and practical, they can also misapply their many talents, becoming over- extended, scattered, and undisciplined. They constantly seek new and exciting experiences, but can become distracted and exhausted by staying on the go. They typically have problems with impatience and impulsiveness. At their Best: they focus their talents on worthwhile goals, becoming appreciative, joyous, and satisfied.

Kate P as a 4

Type Four in Brief

Fours are self-aware, sensitive, and reserved. They are emotionally honest, creative, and personal, but can also be moody and self-conscious. Withholding themselves from others due to feeling vulnerable and defective, they can also feel disdainful and exempt from ordinary ways of living. They typically have problems with melancholy, self-indulgence, and self-pity. At their Best: inspired and highly creative, they are able to renew themselves and transform their experiences.

Last edited by Aragon on Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

The Enneagram Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Enneagram   The Enneagram EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 1:50 pm

Aragon wrote:

EVM - I'm really sorry - what forum is it in? Are you in a sulk? Smile
He's telling half-truths. I answered half those questions half right.
Back to top Go down

The Enneagram Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Enneagram   The Enneagram EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 1:53 pm

Eh, free personallity tests? Where have I heard that before? Am I joining the wrong dots here, people?
Back to top Go down

The Enneagram Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Enneagram   The Enneagram EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 1:56 pm

coc wrote:
Eh, free personallity tests? Where have I heard that before? Am I joining the wrong dots here, people?

What do you mean COC?
Back to top Go down

The Enneagram Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Enneagram   The Enneagram EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 1:58 pm

Aragon wrote:
coc wrote:

What do you mean COC?

http://www.scientology.org/
Back to top Go down

The Enneagram Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Enneagram   The Enneagram EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 2:29 pm

unaligned wrote:
Aragon wrote:
coc wrote:

What do you mean COC?

[url=http://www.scientology.org/
http://www.scientology.org/[/quote[/url]]

This has nothing to do with scientology - the enneagram was thunk up by a very early form of Buddhism - its used all over the place - by people right across social, political, economic and religious spectrums.

How do the different Enneagram types get on?

http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/matrix.asp
Back to top Go down

The Enneagram Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Enneagram   The Enneagram EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 2:31 pm

[quote="Aragon"]
unaligned wrote:
Aragon wrote:
coc wrote:

What do you mean COC?

http://www.scientology.org/[/quote]

This has nothing to do with scientology - the enneagram was thunk up by a very early form of Buddhism - its used all over the place - by people right across social, political, economic and religious spectrums.

Yeah I know, I think that's what coc was alluding to.

I'm a 6. Some interesting stuff in the descriptions I must say.
Back to top Go down

The Enneagram Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Enneagram   The Enneagram EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 2:58 pm

[quote="unaligned"]
Aragon wrote:
unaligned wrote:
Aragon wrote:
coc wrote:

What do you mean COC?

My other half is a six too and the compatibility assessment between 6 and 7 is just about spot on!
Back to top Go down

The Enneagram Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Enneagram   The Enneagram EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 3:03 pm

[quote="Aragon"]
unaligned wrote:
Aragon wrote:
unaligned wrote:
Aragon wrote:
coc wrote:

What do you mean COC?

My other half is a six too and the compatibility assessment between 6 and 7 is just about spot on!

I'll get my significant other to do it and report back.
Back to top Go down

The Enneagram Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Enneagram   The Enneagram EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 3:40 pm

For people who can't be arsed to go to the website the basic idea is as follows:

There are 9 types of personality divided into three triads 8,9 & 1s are in the 'Gut' triad:

Quote :
Gut-people center their awareness in the underbelly, where they filter reality instinctively, spontaneously, intuitively, in the "raw material" of existence. They are direct, territorial, concerned with power, ruled by aggression, may be troubled by ethical self-doubts and self-blame

2,3 & 4 are 'Heart' people

Quote :

[b]Heart-people
have their body center in the heart and circulatory system. They are relationship-oriented, toward intersubjectivity, and their domain is subjective feelings. Concerned with what others think of them, image and prestige, they see themselves as being for others, often believing they know what's best for them. They dislike being alone, may feel sad, inadequate, and ashamed.

5,6 & 7s are 'Head' people

Head-people have body center in the brain and nervous system. They withdraw to reflect, to apprehend the situation, understand the pattern of events and their place within it. Detached from their emotions, methodical and orderly, they are ruled by the need to understand the puzzle of life, know where all the pieces fit. Their apparent objectivity and conviction may mask inward feelings of isolation, confusion, loss of meaning, anxiety.8

Each of the 9 basic types in summary:

TYPESELF
PASSIONVIRTUENARCISSISTIC TRAPAVOIDSSPEAKING STYLE
I am
right
AngerSerenityPerfectionVexationTeaching,
moralizing
I
help
PrideFreedomServiceNeedFlattering,
advising
I am
successful
DeceitTruthfulnessEfficiencyFailureWooing,
inspiring
I am
different
EnvyEquanimityAuthenticityOrdinarinessLyrical,
lamenting
I see
through
GreedDetachmentKnowledgeEmptinessExplaining,
systematizing
I do my
duty
FearCourageSecurityDevianceWarning,
limiting
I am
happy
Gluttony,
over-
indulgence,
charlatanry
SobrietyIdealismPainGarrulous,
story-telling
I am
strong
LustSimplicityJusticeWeaknessChallenging,
unmasking
I am
content
Indolence,
laziness,
accidia
DiligenceSelf-
abasement
ConflictMonotonous
rambling

In addition to the above, each type has elements of 4 other personality types. Each has side to side elements - or 'wings' in each of the neighbouring number personalities - as a 7,eg, I tend toward 8 but have a little of 6 too - for some 7s it will lean the other way. Each person also has a forwards and backwards tendency to elements of opposing and confirming personalities - e.g. on the positive side I go towards the best of 5 (analytical, stuidious etc) while if under stress I revert to the more negative elements of 1 - angry, didactic etc. But sure, nobody ever noticed that here, I'd say. ;-)

Psychologists are very scornful of the whole thing, naturally. This highly unscientific encroachment on their territory! Nothing the professionals hate so much as seeing people doing things for themsevles!
[/b]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Enneagram Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Enneagram   The Enneagram Empty

Back to top Go down

The Enneagram
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Machine Nation  :: Welcome and Chat :: Chatter-
Jump to: