Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

The Prisoner : The significance of the big bubblegum

Go down 
AuthorMessage

The Prisoner : The significance of the big bubblegum Empty
PostSubject: The Prisoner : The significance of the big bubblegum   The Prisoner : The significance of the big bubblegum EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 2:24 am

The Prisoner : The significance of the big bubblegum DisagreementHierarchy-1

Auditor #9 wrote:
"It's still working" I would say is a relative statement. Working for whom? There are a lot of businesses goign out of business - they might have overstretched themselves during the Boom .... I'd imagine a lot of businesses who don't have plenty of shekels in the coffers won't survive too easily in this climate. Not that that's so bad because you see a lot of established places fretting less than others.

That triangle is ALL our friend my friend - if you see imperfections in it perhaps you should check your eyeball for a mote Wink
"I am not a number, I am a free man!" Patrick McGoohan's character Number Six shouted at the "triangle" at the beginning of every episode of The Prisoner and you know I think he was right.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Prisoner : The significance of the big bubblegum   The Prisoner : The significance of the big bubblegum EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 2:28 am

tonys wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:
"It's still working" I would say is a relative statement. Working for whom? There are a lot of businesses goign out of business - they might have overstretched themselves during the Boom .... I'd imagine a lot of businesses who don't have plenty of shekels in the coffers won't survive too easily in this climate. Not that that's so bad because you see a lot of established places fretting less than others.

That triangle is ALL our friend my friend - if you see imperfections in it perhaps you should check your eyeball for a mote Wink
"I am not a number, I am a free man!" Patrick McGoohan's character Number Six shouted at the "triangle" at the beginning of every episode of The Prisoner and you know I think he was right.

Do you regularly feel chased down by a big man-sized bubble of chewing gum which threatens to squash the wind out of you against a wall ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Prisoner : The significance of the big bubblegum   The Prisoner : The significance of the big bubblegum EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 2:42 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
tonys wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:

Do you regularly feel chased down by a big man-sized bubble of chewing gum which threatens to squash the wind out of you against a wall ?
The bubble was symbolic of the claustrophobic effect of the mob, of the price to be paid for being an “insider”. If you want to be free, stay outside the cosy consensus and always, always, question & resist the received opinion of the chattering classes. That’s what Patrick always told me anyway, triangles be damned.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Prisoner : The significance of the big bubblegum   The Prisoner : The significance of the big bubblegum EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 2:53 am

tonys wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:
tonys wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:

The bubble was symbolic of the claustrophobic effect of the mob, of the price to be paid for being an “insider”. If you want to be free, stay outside the cosy consensus and always, always, question & resist the received opinion of the chattering classes. That’s what Patrick always told me anyway, triangles be damned.

The Bubble Gum went out and killed off those who strayed from the Party line tonys. It was like the Chief Whip or something.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Prisoner : The significance of the big bubblegum   The Prisoner : The significance of the big bubblegum EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 3:16 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
tonys wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:
tonys wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:

The Bubble Gum went out and killed off those who strayed from the Party line tonys. It was like the Chief Whip or something.
That, is a complete misreading of the entire bubble phenomenon.
You obviously haven’t done your “prisoner” weekend workshop.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Prisoner : The significance of the big bubblegum   The Prisoner : The significance of the big bubblegum EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 3:57 am

No it isn't tonys! It's been a while since I saw the Prisoner I admit but the nightmares are imprinted in my brain of seeing that Bubble squash the life out of good men - I used to see it all the time when I was a child down here in Clare.

Good men with the originality and the need for escape to new pastures just squashed out of them by a semi-organo mechanical half constructed, half bred, half evolved lifeform that deals mercilessly with those who stray even a bit from the party line.

It was almost as bad as those flying silver balls in Phantasm I.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Prisoner : The significance of the big bubblegum   The Prisoner : The significance of the big bubblegum EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 4:12 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
No it isn't tonys! It's been a while since I saw the Prisoner I admit but the nightmares are imprinted in my brain of seeing that Bubble squash the life out of good men - I used to see it all the time when I was a child down here in Clare.

Good men with the originality and the need for escape to new pastures just squashed out of them by a semi-organo mechanical half constructed, half bred, half evolved lifeform that deals mercilessly with those who stray even a bit from the party line.

It was almost as bad as those flying silver balls in Phantasm I.
The bubbles squashing was reserved exclusively for those who began to question the conventional wisdom, any kind of lateral thinking was nicht tolerated, verboten in the extreme. In other words Irish Times readers were as safe as houses.
Your memory plays the tricks on you, simples.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: The Prisoner : The significance of the big bubblegum   The Prisoner : The significance of the big bubblegum EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 4:14 am

I'll warn ye now. I'm going to watch this thread like a hawk. Wars were started over threads like this one.

So what's it about ? I've no time for bubblegum men.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Prisoner : The significance of the big bubblegum   The Prisoner : The significance of the big bubblegum EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 4:19 am

EvotingMachine0197 wrote:
I'll warn ye now. I'm going to watch this thread like a hawk. Wars were started over threads like this one.

Neither had Patrick, welcome aboard my friend.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: The Prisoner : The significance of the big bubblegum   The Prisoner : The significance of the big bubblegum EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 4:21 am

Who's Patrick then ? Is this the 1960's TV show ye'er on about ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Prisoner : The significance of the big bubblegum   The Prisoner : The significance of the big bubblegum EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 4:22 am

Spot on, Skippy.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: The Prisoner : The significance of the big bubblegum   The Prisoner : The significance of the big bubblegum EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 4:25 am

tonys wrote:
Spot on, Skippy.

Is this the Dr. something who killed his wife and the one armed man really did it ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Prisoner : The significance of the big bubblegum   The Prisoner : The significance of the big bubblegum EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 4:26 am

Do you not remember The Prisoner evm ? It was about a group of free men and women trapped in a world of arbitrary mediocrity and Governed systematically by a semi organic fungus-like entity which was capable of semi-intelligent thought generally based on certain rules which worked remarkably well.

Anyone who could not comply fully with those narrow stipulations would be squashed to death by a giant bubble which followed you around a garden.

It used to be on the night after Sapphire and Steel.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Prisoner : The significance of the big bubblegum   The Prisoner : The significance of the big bubblegum EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 4:32 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
Do you not remember The Prisoner evm ? It was about a group of free men and women trapped in a world of arbitrary mediocrity and Governed systematically by a semi organic fungus-like entity which was capable of semi-intelligent thought generally based on certain rules which worked remarkably well.

Anyone who could not comply fully with those narrow stipulations would be squashed to death by a giant bubble which followed you around a garden.

It used to be on the night after Sapphire and Steel.
Ah Jesus, them were the days, when you had just the one good programe a night to look forward to and look at us now, not even that.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: The Prisoner : The significance of the big bubblegum   The Prisoner : The significance of the big bubblegum EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 4:32 am

Nope.

I don't remember Saphire and Steel either. Whatever that was.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Prisoner : The significance of the big bubblegum   The Prisoner : The significance of the big bubblegum EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 4:36 am

Nope.

On what pray then do you base your political philosophy on if not “The Prisoner”
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Prisoner : The significance of the big bubblegum   The Prisoner : The significance of the big bubblegum EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 4:44 am

Maybe it was a satire on being married .... scratch

A big blob following you around the garden trying to kill you if you did something "wrong".

Feel free to mod my post anyone who can who finds it offensive but that's how it used to be with me and my late husband anyway ,.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: The Prisoner : The significance of the big bubblegum   The Prisoner : The significance of the big bubblegum EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 4:54 am

tonys wrote:
Nope.

On what pray then do you base your political philosophy on if not “The Prisoner”

The written and sung word of Freddie Mercury , you lunatic.

Only a madman would choose Prisoner over Freddie.

Prisoner people should be evicted from society forthwith.

I'm writing a Dáil question now....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Prisoner : The significance of the big bubblegum   The Prisoner : The significance of the big bubblegum EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 4:57 am

tonys wrote:
Nope.

The written and sung word of Freddie Mercury....
You could do worse and many do.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: The Prisoner : The significance of the big bubblegum   The Prisoner : The significance of the big bubblegum EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 5:01 am

It was my lesson in 'How you find out about stuff'

I'll never forget it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Prisoner : The significance of the big bubblegum   The Prisoner : The significance of the big bubblegum EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 5:15 am

Nope.I don't remember Saphire and Steel either. Whatever that was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gjHmEUiaxo
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Prisoner : The significance of the big bubblegum   The Prisoner : The significance of the big bubblegum EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 5:23 am

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Prisoner : The significance of the big bubblegum   The Prisoner : The significance of the big bubblegum EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 5:34 am

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Prisoner : The significance of the big bubblegum   The Prisoner : The significance of the big bubblegum EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 11:57 pm

For some reason I'm reminded of a Fintan O'Toole piece talking about Larry Goodman, where, despite being one of the richest and most influential men in Ireland, he considered himself an outsider and an ordinary bloke outside the circles of power because he listened to Foster and Allen tapes in his helicopter. I'm sure his employees are in no mistake as to who runs their world. It's an old trick - those who run the country often believe that they are doing so against the wishes of some smart fellas in Dublin with posh accents who they believe really run the place.

No wonder we're talking about the Prisoner here, after all, Number Six is really Number One.

The Prisoner : The significance of the big bubblegum Fo80810

It's not surprising that we're banjaxed when those who run the country suffer from cognitive dissonance on such a massive scale.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Prisoner : The significance of the big bubblegum   The Prisoner : The significance of the big bubblegum Empty

Back to top Go down

The Prisoner : The significance of the big bubblegum
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Machine Nation  :: Vibes and Scribes :: Print and Televisual Media, Firebrand Cinema-
Jump to: