Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

The weather thread

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage

The weather thread - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 14, 2008 7:25 pm

It would probably taste like Turkish Delight. Icky.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 14, 2008 7:39 pm

There's only one way to find out...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 15, 2008 8:04 am

I slept on the couch last night - husband away and I hate going to bed without him. But the couch is under a big window and it's been the most amazing thing to watch the dawn break this morning because the clouds are huge and black and grey (like the darkest grey that was in the long packet of markers) - the sky had to brighten behind them. Very pretty.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 15, 2008 9:45 am

Cool and bright here, with small broken clouds
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 15, 2008 9:55 am

Yesterday in the west it was a stunning stunning day and looks like the same today - not a cloud in the sky. Good driving weather!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 15, 2008 10:33 am

Glorious here now too - still on the couch working away and soaking up the morning sun. It's one of those 'great to be alive' days.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 15, 2008 10:44 am

The sun is beating into the windows of the library, hopefully cheering up everyone inside here! I had a lovely stroll through a line of cherry blossom trees on the way in.

I also saw a business man and a taxi driver having a running, shouting battle down the slip way by the Montrose Hotel. Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 15, 2008 1:16 pm

This day is getting nicer and nicer looking out the window. Can't wait until 1 o'clock when I am meeting a friend for a sandwich. We'll sit on the grass if it is dry.

Any recommendations for what I should have in my sandwich on such a lovely day?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 15, 2008 1:19 pm

Do you actually want a sandwich or are you having one out of habit?

Maybe a salad and smoothie to bring on the sunshine?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 15, 2008 1:24 pm

You have posed a very probing question Kate. Certainly in the first question anyway.

However, I do have justifiable objections to the second suggestions. So far as I remember, you can not get nice smoothies in UCD. Things may have changed as I'm studying here somewhat illegally on a friend's library card. Secondly, I think if I opted for a salad I would receive ridicule from my masculine friends who most certainly will be having a sandwich, probably even on bad-for-you white bread.

Perhaps I could compromise and have some sort of wrap... I've never known what to order in relation to such delicacies though...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 15, 2008 1:28 pm

If there's an O'Briens you can get one with cucumber, sweetcorn, tuna -with or without mayonnaise - I'd go without and have lemon - which O'Briens did back in the day - but it's a bit dry - though if you're having a wrap, you're probably used to that .
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 15, 2008 4:04 pm

I had a pasta carbonara al fresco in the sunshine. Followed by a cup of tea and a Twix sitting by the lake. Very enjoyable.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 15, 2008 5:05 pm

johnfás wrote:
I had a pasta carbonara al fresco in the sunshine. Followed by a cup of tea and a Twix sitting by the lake. Very enjoyable.
Ah, jaysus! I'm just returning from lunchtime at the lake. I took advantage of the nice day to do a spot of reading.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 15, 2008 5:23 pm

TheBear wrote:
johnfás wrote:
Ah, jaysus! I'm just returning from lunchtime at the lake. I took advantage of the nice day to do a spot of reading.

A close encounter
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 15, 2008 10:10 pm

johnfás wrote:
TheBear wrote:
johnfás wrote:

A close encounter

How do ye know it's the same lake ? This a lake in UCD or something ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 15, 2008 10:14 pm

EvotingMachine0197 wrote:
johnfás wrote:
TheBear wrote:
johnfás wrote:

A close encounter

How do ye know it's the same lake ? This a lake in UCD or something ?

The very one
The weather thread - Page 2 260084041_c88da435f9

Although little known to many of those who have not attended UCD, there are in fact two lakes. The second one is along the little secret nature walk which is a very peaceful place to go for some space. I would imagine Bear was referring to the main lake though.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 15, 2008 10:25 pm

Wow, that is nice. Is that conducive to study, or does it make you want to go to the beach?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 15, 2008 10:28 pm

It can be very dreary on a wet day. But when it is sunny it is a glorious place to sit by and have some rest whether with friends or by yourself. I think it is a fantastic resource personally. Watching the seagulls, swans and ducks passing the day by is always enjoyable.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 15, 2008 10:46 pm

johnfás wrote:
It can be very dreary on a wet day. But when it is sunny it is a glorious place to sit by and have some rest whether with friends or by yourself. I think it is a fantastic resource personally. Watching the seagulls, swans and ducks passing the day by is always enjoyable.

Isn't it true that that lake will experience significant changes(ie, become smaller) under the re-vamping that is about to take place at UCD?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 15, 2008 10:53 pm

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
johnfás wrote:

Isn't it true that that lake will experience significant changes(ie, become smaller) under the re-vamping that is about to take place at UCD?

I believe so. Going by the initial plans for the campus they are also going to build some sort of canal/tributary/stream coming out of it heading back down towards the dual carraigeway.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 15, 2008 10:54 pm

The weather tomorrow(we hope!):

The weather thread - Page 2 Nat01_weather
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 15, 2008 10:55 pm

johnfás wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
johnfás wrote:

I believe so. Going by the initial plans for the campus they are also going to build some sort of canal/tributary/stream coming out of it heading back down towards the dual carraigeway.

There was an urban planners myth that the Lake was put there to discourage mass student demonstrations and riotious storming of the buildings
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 15, 2008 10:58 pm

cactus flower wrote:
johnfás wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
johnfás wrote:

There was an urban planners myth that the Lake was put there to discourage mass student demonstrations and riotious storming of the buildings

No, it was put there to remind smelly students to wash more often! Razz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 15, 2008 10:58 pm

cactus flower wrote:
johnfás wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
johnfás wrote:

Yea I've heard that... that it was originally meant to be a main square but that in the late sixties they decided against it. The same is said of the covered walkway which was apparently to protect against people lobbing stuff out of windows. Whatever the truth about it, it does provide good access around the campus when it is raining! A factual piece of information regarding the lake is that it is a resevoir for all the fire hydrants and sprinklers around campus. So if you ever see the water level dropping - run for it!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 15, 2008 10:59 pm

johnfás wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
johnfás wrote:

Really? Do you live on cmapus? Do you like the new plans? I'm not out in Belfield usually. Trinners and NUI Maynooth would be my more familiar stomping ground.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The weather thread   The weather thread - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

The weather thread
Page 2 of 40Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next