Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Online Legal Resources

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Online Legal Resources Empty
PostSubject: Online Legal Resources   Online Legal Resources EmptyMon Feb 16, 2009 10:56 pm

Are there any useful online legal resources Machinists would recommend? The text of the Bunreacht is freely available and I've seen our laws can be accessed here. But is there a more analytic resource available that would allow one to, for example, search case law for judgements or rulings that interpret the laws and constitution? For instance, how would I determine if Article 9.3 of Bunreacht na hÉireann had ever been at issue if any laws were challenged on the foot of it (apart from retaining the services of a wig, of course).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Online Legal Resources   Online Legal Resources EmptyMon Feb 16, 2009 11:00 pm

The best way to reference specific laws is to check digests or relevant text books.

You could also do a phrase or boolean search of recent Irish caselaw on www.bailii.org, www.courts.ie or on www.irlii.org.

Beyond that you are looking at shelling out some serious cash for justis or westlaw or lexis or something like that.

If you are a student you are laughing of course as the law sections of the main universities have everything you need.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Online Legal Resources   Online Legal Resources EmptyMon Feb 16, 2009 11:35 pm

Bailii is a great resource. UCC have quite alot of resources on their site. You can get all the Irish Statutebook on a combination of irishstatutebook.ie and oireachtas.ie (for the latest stuff). As Zhou says, to get onto lexus or justis is expensive... so those of us with access to college libraries are greatly blessed to have it. A personal subscription to Lexus is over a grand a year I think.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Online Legal Resources   Online Legal Resources EmptyTue Feb 17, 2009 12:00 am

Ta for that lads - alas I am not a student, but that bailli site looks good for starters.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Online Legal Resources   Online Legal Resources EmptyTue Feb 17, 2009 12:27 am

johnfás and Zhou said it all really, there's not much more you can find online for free. Up-to-date textbooks really are the best way to find out if and how a given law has been treated by the courts, unfortunately you're unlikely to find many of them for free of course.

If it's legal discussion and analysis you're after the blawgosphere is rich and diverse, and can also help in keeping one up-to-date on the law. There are many out there, but depending on your area of interest there may be one or two I could recommend (unfortunately I don't know of any Irish constitutional law blogs).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Online Legal Resources   Online Legal Resources Empty

Back to top Go down

Online Legal Resources
Page 1 of 1