Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

The Irish Language's Last Hope?

Go down 
AuthorMessage

The Irish Language's Last Hope? Empty
PostSubject: The Irish Language's Last Hope?   The Irish Language's Last Hope? EmptyThu Apr 03, 2008 8:03 pm

Due to a conflict of schedules I haven't seen Des Bishop's new programme 'In the Name of the Fada'. Is it any good?

From what I hear about the show, Des Bishop is the best thing to happen to the language ever. Which means it's very good or the lingo's in a worse state than we thought.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Irish Language's Last Hope?   The Irish Language's Last Hope? EmptyThu Apr 03, 2008 8:23 pm

Watch it on the internet below - must do that myself. SeathrúnCeitinn and myself started a thread on it in Tús Maith - called Tachráin ar fud a Ghriosaigh. It got neglected though, that thread.

http://www.rte.ie/tv/inthenameofthefada/watchtheshow.html
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Irish Language's Last Hope?   The Irish Language's Last Hope? EmptyFri Apr 04, 2008 3:43 pm

905 wrote:
Due to a conflict of schedules I haven't seen Des Bishop's new programme 'In the Name of the Fada'. Is it any good?

From what I hear about the show, Des Bishop is the best thing to happen to the language ever. Which means it's very good or the lingo's in a worse state than we thought.

Better Des than Eamon O'Cuiv. Des actually shows a living language rather than demands that we respect it and translate stuff into it...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Irish Language's Last Hope?   The Irish Language's Last Hope? EmptyFri Apr 04, 2008 4:07 pm

Victor Meldrew wrote:
905 wrote:

Better Des than Eamon O'Cuiv. Des actually shows a living language rather than demands that we respect it and translate stuff into it...

Ah but he does. Jump around by house of pain.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Irish Language's Last Hope?   The Irish Language's Last Hope? EmptyFri Apr 04, 2008 4:55 pm

Just heard a punter on Joe Duffy complaining about not being able to have his name and address in Irish with Ulster Bank. Duffy ended the complaint with the response that he didn't know what he could do about it. Spent more time giving out about the amount of money wasted on translators in the European Parliament. Truely sick of this attitude and accusations of pettiness against Irish speakers. Seems to be the same with Pat Kenny. Always trying to bring his own prejudices to bear on this particular topic and seeking out the most negative angle. Sneer , sneer, sneer.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Irish Language's Last Hope?   The Irish Language's Last Hope? EmptyFri Apr 04, 2008 5:05 pm

Sometimes the Irish movement bring it on themselves. The recent case where health warnings on tobacco products have to be in Irish as well as English is an example of pushing a principal too far, in my opinion. There aren't any monolingual Irish-speakers left are there?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Irish Language's Last Hope?   The Irish Language's Last Hope? EmptyFri Apr 04, 2008 5:08 pm

905 wrote:
Sometimes the Irish movement bring it on themselves. The recent case where health warnings on tobacco products have to be in Irish as well as English is an example of pushing a principal too far, in my opinion. There aren't any monolingual Irish-speakers left are there?

Well I certainly know people who have to translate with some effort from Irish into English in their heads. My grandmother had "Good Welsh and Fluent English".
This would go for plenty of people on the western seaboard. And they may only have mastered writing and reading in Irish ( older generation ).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Irish Language's Last Hope?   The Irish Language's Last Hope? EmptyFri Apr 04, 2008 5:14 pm

905 wrote:

Why would that reflect badly on the Irish language movement? What problem could you possibly have with a harmless warning on a harmful product?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Irish Language's Last Hope?   The Irish Language's Last Hope? EmptyFri Apr 04, 2008 5:14 pm

905 wrote:

There are a few in fairness. I think this referred more to parity of esteem. Not to mention the fact that it was an eu directive that the warnings should be made in all official languages. It was therefore a breach not to impliment the ruling.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Irish Language's Last Hope?   The Irish Language's Last Hope? EmptyFri Apr 04, 2008 5:16 pm

SeathrúnCeitinn wrote:
Just heard a punter on Joe Duffy complaining about not being able to have his name and address in Irish with Ulster Bank. Duffy ended the complaint with the response that he didn't know what he could do about it. Spent more time giving out about the amount of money wasted on translators in the European Parliament. Truely sick of this attitude and accusations of pettiness against Irish speakers. Seems to be the same with Pat Kenny. Always trying to bring his own prejudices to bear on this particular topic and seeking out the most negative angle. Sneer , sneer, sneer.

In similar scenarios, every argument made about the language on P.ie always seems to be reduced to the bloody compulsory curriculum. Even then, few are willing to realise the benefits of bilingualism, saying it is irrelevant to the discussion.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Irish Language's Last Hope?   The Irish Language's Last Hope? EmptyFri Apr 04, 2008 5:19 pm

cactus flower wrote:
905 wrote:

Well I certainly know people who have to translate with some effort from Irish into English in their heads. My grandmother had "Good Welsh and Fluent English".
This would go for plenty of people on the western seaboard. And they may only have mastered writing and reading in Irish ( older generation ).

Well, in that case...

There was a sketch show on Network 2 a while ago called Stew. One of the gags was a Gaeilgeoir going round taking down warning signs in English and putting the blame of any accidents on the inability of the victim to speak Irish. This affair sounded like it was lifted straight out of that show.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Irish Language's Last Hope?   The Irish Language's Last Hope? EmptyFri Apr 04, 2008 5:20 pm

riadach wrote:

In similar scenarios, every argument made about the language on P.ie always seems to be reduced to the bloody compulsory curriculum. Even then, few are willing to realise the benefits of bilingualism, saying it is irrelevant to the discussion.

I hate to be a pain, but I did ask you to ignore pauriceenjack. But you took the bait every time. No
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Irish Language's Last Hope?   The Irish Language's Last Hope? EmptyFri Apr 04, 2008 5:25 pm

905 wrote:
riadach wrote:

I hate to be a pain, but I did ask you to ignore pauriceenjack. But you took the bait every time. No

I'm not speaking about pauriceenjack.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Irish Language's Last Hope?   The Irish Language's Last Hope? EmptyFri Apr 04, 2008 5:31 pm

905 wrote:
riadach wrote:

Maybe if there wasn't such a prevalent sneering attitude in the English speaking media towards the language, then objections such as the man had on the Joe Duffy show wouldn't be viewed as pedantic or fanatical. I'm all too aware of how some irish language supporters come across but you'll meet them in any language. Most of the stereotypes portrayed in the press and on politics .ie are like Peig, long dead.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Irish Language's Last Hope?   The Irish Language's Last Hope? Empty

Back to top Go down

The Irish Language's Last Hope?
Page 1 of 1