Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Planned Obsolescence - False Demand or Economy Driver?

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

Planned Obsolescence - False Demand or Economy Driver? Empty
PostSubject: Planned Obsolescence - False Demand or Economy Driver?   Planned Obsolescence - False Demand or Economy Driver? EmptySun Feb 08, 2009 1:12 pm

Pax suggested...

Quote :
What would be just as good, is an end-planned-obsolescence thread.

Planned obsolescence creates a false increase in demand instead of instilling robustness into products.

Ard Taoiseach (predictably!) replied

Quote :
Boo! It ensures a continuous supply of economic growth, profit and advancement.

evercloserunion chipped in

Quote :
It also widens the gap in the quality of life between the rich and the poor.

All lifted from The Recession Shopping Thread

Kate P added just now

Quote :
Agghhh - the waste, the waste - the disposal problems, the mindset that infects other purchases...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Planned Obsolescence - False Demand or Economy Driver?   Planned Obsolescence - False Demand or Economy Driver? EmptySun Feb 08, 2009 1:22 pm

Planned obsolescence is environmentally intolerable as it uses a lot of precious and also toxic materials that end up in landfill.

The profit system is a bit of a catastrophe, in my view.

How about we all produced less, used less and had a shorter working week instead ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Planned Obsolescence - False Demand or Economy Driver?   Planned Obsolescence - False Demand or Economy Driver? EmptySun Feb 08, 2009 2:05 pm

cactus flower wrote:
Planned obsolescence is environmentally intolerable as it uses a lot of precious and also toxic materials that end up in landfill.

How about we all produced less, used less and had a shorter working week instead ?
Think of all the people who work in the recycling industry - times are bad enough without wanting to add all of them to the dole queues :-) Also, green economics is potentially really interesting - I'd hate to see it being strangled at birth. 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Planned Obsolescence - False Demand or Economy Driver?   Planned Obsolescence - False Demand or Economy Driver? EmptySun Feb 08, 2009 2:46 pm

Paul R wrote:
cactus flower wrote:

Think of all the people who work in the recycling industry - times are bad enough without wanting to add all of them to the dole queues :-) Also, green economics is potentially really interesting - I'd hate to see it being strangled at birth.

WHAT!

Better to have goods that do not need recycled, goods that last. Washing machines, freezers and the like could easily be built to last. In any case I thought that re-use was better than recycle. Also think of the jobs in repair, if the goods were made in a manner that repair was economically possible, all local jobs to!

Transporting rubbish around and rubbish generally is inefficiency. If you want to see economies where nothing is wasted and recycling really works you end up in some 3rd world hell hole with children collecting bags of paper and plastic.

Better to have more expensive durable goods and either shorter working weeks or more services in the economy.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Planned Obsolescence - False Demand or Economy Driver?   Planned Obsolescence - False Demand or Economy Driver? EmptySun Feb 08, 2009 11:24 pm

Zorg: "Father - you're so wrong ! Let me explain... "