Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Has your lifestyle changed yet?

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

Has your lifestyle changed yet? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Has your lifestyle changed yet?   Has your lifestyle changed yet? - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 06, 2009 2:03 pm

On a bright note it would seem that the mood of acquaintances is improving and that some are starting to consider planning ahead.

Property may be stagnant but the reason is now as much to do with there being no effective market due to lack of mortgages as anything else. Also rental property is in strong demand provided it is soundly constructed and of reasonable size. This is UK related.

I have been very busy recently providing a service for those with property that want to stabilise their position and get some return. With the massive reductions in interest rates it now means that rentals cover loans plus more than a good profit. How that will feed through in the long term is another matter, but this is starting to turn which would mean recovery early 2011.

There is a window for getting building work done very competitively. Builders right now are pricing very keenly, this will last into 2010 but as we approach 2011 the amount of tenders will increase and so wil prices.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Has your lifestyle changed yet?   Has your lifestyle changed yet? - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 06, 2009 2:51 pm

Squire wrote:
On a bright note it would seem that the mood of acquaintances is improving and that some are starting to consider planning ahead.

Property may be stagnant but the reason is now as much to do with there being no effective market due to lack of mortgages as anything else. Also rental property is in strong demand provided it is soundly constructed and of reasonable size. This is UK related.

I have been very busy recently providing a service for those with property that want to stabilise their position and get some return. With the massive reductions in interest rates it now means that rentals cover loans plus more than a good profit. How that will feed through in the long term is another matter, but this is starting to turn which would mean recovery early 2011.

There is a window for getting building work done very competitively. Builders right now are pricing very keenly, this will last into 2010 but as we approach 2011 the amount of tenders will increase and so wil prices.
Shush!! you happy chappy, we'll not have that class of talk around here.
On a bright note indeed. How very dare you.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Has your lifestyle changed yet?   Has your lifestyle changed yet? - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 06, 2009 3:36 pm

tonys wrote:

Ah sure not everyone is so pessimistic. They just tend to shout louder. Provided I remain healthy I am quietly confident of still being around in 50 years time and consider it likely that I will, at that stage, have experienced many economic cycles both upwards and downwards. I suppose that is the kind of confidence you can have when you don't have debts or a mortgage though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Has your lifestyle changed yet?   Has your lifestyle changed yet? - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 06, 2009 4:00 pm

tonys wrote:
Squire wrote:

I don't think the good Squire can be posting from our jurisdiction, tonys. There's not a bucket of cement mixed in our Parish since Christmas.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Has your lifestyle changed yet?   Has your lifestyle changed yet? - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 06, 2009 4:12 pm

tonys wrote:
Squire wrote:

Rental property here is ten a penny. There are, as I've mentioned before I'm sure, more than 210K empty houses in Irealnd - most of them newbuild houses built by property developers who cared nothing for whether there were customers for them or the ruination of huge swathes of lovely countryside.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Has your lifestyle changed yet?   Has your lifestyle changed yet? - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 06, 2009 5:24 pm

cactus flower wrote:
I don't think the good Squire can be posting from our jurisdiction, tonys. There's not a bucket of cement mixed in our Parish since Christmas.

I am not known for my euphoric outbursts, but I tell you mood is starting to change. On the development side of things I would be way ahead of any general recovery. The cement won't be mixed on anything I do this side of Autumn 2010 at the earliest. Basically I put together proposals for developments and attract other investment. That way I possibly get a good return and spread the risk. It is a form of leveraging up.

The trick is to see an opportunity that others perhaps don't, get the land at a competitive price and obtain competitive tenders. I can tell you that right now I have Architects approaching me offering to do work at risk and good building contractors willing to sell their mothers into slavery for work. Is this going to get any more competitive, I don't think so. You can't have people working for nothing. To me that is not right and creates all sorts of potential problems. Someone going bankrupt is the last thing you want and if they are part of your network and reliable then you are also the poorer by their demise.

Imagine you had borrowed say £1,000,000 at 7% and are now paying 2.25% all of a sudden you are not bleeding to death. So if you bought say 5 properties and were renting at say 500 a month then basically you are covered and can sit and wait. Execution postponed and spiralling downward glide on that front has bottomed. Rising unemployment is the next threat.

With regards rental, from what I hear and know there is a strong enough demand as people cannot get mortgages or are waiting in the hope of further price reductions. However as I keep saying location and quality are essential. No one is going to rent a hovel in the back end of no where.

I am now really busy and there is a growing air of confidence about. That is my observation and I still think further falls in the FTSE and DOW etc are likely, but we may be starting to bottom out. Mood is everything.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Has your lifestyle changed yet?   Has your lifestyle changed yet? - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 06, 2009 9:25 pm

I'm running around Dublin trying to find an ATM that will let me take out the remaining €10 I have in my account so I can take a bus home to Wexford so I will at least be able to eat this weekend. I'm only stopping in here so I can use meteor.ie to text the mother and let her know I'm coming home as I've no credit and no hope of being able to afford any any time soon. And I'm supposed to be taking my girlfriend for a meal in Galway in a week!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Has your lifestyle changed yet?   Has your lifestyle changed yet? - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 06, 2009 9:27 pm

Try the Ulster Bank ones.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Has your lifestyle changed yet?   Has your lifestyle changed yet? - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 06, 2009 9:29 pm

No avail from the UB in Connolly. I'm in the PC lab in Trinity at the mo so the BoI one down by the Buttery should sort me out. Won't cover the full ticket mind so there will be some fleecing involved.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Has your lifestyle changed yet?   Has your lifestyle changed yet? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Has your lifestyle changed yet?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2