Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Poll- Should the Voting Age be Reduced to 16 Years ?

Go down 

Should the Age for Voting be Reduced from 18 to 16 ?
Yes
Poll-   Should the Voting Age be Reduced to 16 Years ? Vote_lcap40%Poll-   Should the Voting Age be Reduced to 16 Years ? Vote_rcap
 40% [ 6 ]
No
Poll-   Should the Voting Age be Reduced to 16 Years ? Vote_lcap60%Poll-   Should the Voting Age be Reduced to 16 Years ? Vote_rcap
 60% [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 15

Poll closed

AuthorMessage

Poll-   Should the Voting Age be Reduced to 16 Years ? Empty
PostSubject: Poll- Should the Voting Age be Reduced to 16 Years ?   Poll-   Should the Voting Age be Reduced to 16 Years ? EmptyMon Jan 26, 2009 9:17 pm

The Greens, Labour and SF are backing a young people's campaign for votes from the age of 16. Yes or No?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Poll- Should the Voting Age be Reduced to 16 Years ?   Poll-   Should the Voting Age be Reduced to 16 Years ? EmptyMon Jan 26, 2009 9:21 pm

cactus flower wrote:
The Greens, Labour and SF are backing a young people's campaign for votes from the age of 16. Yes or No?
I just voted twice, I demand a recount.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Poll- Should the Voting Age be Reduced to 16 Years ?   Poll-   Should the Voting Age be Reduced to 16 Years ? EmptyMon Jan 26, 2009 9:55 pm

Everybody do as tonys did, and all will be well.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Poll- Should the Voting Age be Reduced to 16 Years ?   Poll-   Should the Voting Age be Reduced to 16 Years ? EmptyMon Jan 26, 2009 10:53 pm

cactus flower wrote:
What class of scruple is this? For shame and you a green.

Anyway, how will anyone know what I did, unless of course they already know and if so, for how long do they know and what were they up to when they found out? I see dark clouds here…..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Poll- Should the Voting Age be Reduced to 16 Years ?   Poll-   Should the Voting Age be Reduced to 16 Years ? EmptyMon Jan 26, 2009 11:25 pm

tonys- the important thing is - did you vote the same way each time? Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Poll- Should the Voting Age be Reduced to 16 Years ?   Poll-   Should the Voting Age be Reduced to 16 Years ? EmptyMon Jan 26, 2009 11:31 pm

tonys wrote:
cactus flower wrote:
What class of scruple is this? For shame and you a green.

Anyway, how will anyone know what I did, unless of course they already know and if so, for how long do they know and what were they up to when they found out? I see dark clouds here…..

Vote early, and vote often, is our motto here tonys Very Happy

Plus, I have no shame and I'm not a Green.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Poll- Should the Voting Age be Reduced to 16 Years ?   Poll-   Should the Voting Age be Reduced to 16 Years ? EmptyWed Jan 28, 2009 3:35 pm

Christ imagine translating the concerns of the average 16 year old into political policy. Scary. Actually, what would be worst is trying to translate the concerns of a politically aware 16 year old into public policy. Childern tend to extremes.

Voted no needless to say
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Poll- Should the Voting Age be Reduced to 16 Years ?   Poll-   Should the Voting Age be Reduced to 16 Years ? EmptyWed Jan 28, 2009 3:45 pm

Tbh, have done a bit of work with children and teenagers on what they would do. The teen age group are almost exclusively interested in social issues (i.e. opportunities for mating meeting). The age group with the greatest interest in and grasp of long term issues is the 8-12 age group, who probably should run our governments.

I don't see why the teen aged should be let off though. They get away with enough as it is.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Poll- Should the Voting Age be Reduced to 16 Years ?   Poll-   Should the Voting Age be Reduced to 16 Years ? EmptyWed Jan 28, 2009 3:53 pm

I say give them the vote. Its not like they'll actually use it.

BTW, after the election in 2007 Ivan Yates noted that most young voters voted for Fianna Fail. I can't remember his definition of young, it may have been under 30.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Poll- Should the Voting Age be Reduced to 16 Years ?   Poll-   Should the Voting Age be Reduced to 16 Years ? EmptyWed Jan 28, 2009 4:39 pm

I voted no though its a small no. I think the responsibility just isnt there yet for most 16 year olds, but at the same time I think a young influence on the vote would be breath of fresh air.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Poll- Should the Voting Age be Reduced to 16 Years ?   Poll-   Should the Voting Age be Reduced to 16 Years ? EmptyWed Jan 28, 2009 4:46 pm

Respvblica wrote:
I voted no though its a small no. I think the responsibility just isnt there yet for most 16 year olds, but at the same time I think a young influence on the vote would be breath of fresh air.
Only if you can get the little buggers to brush their teeth on anything like a consistent basis.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Poll- Should the Voting Age be Reduced to 16 Years ?   Poll-   Should the Voting Age be Reduced to 16 Years ? EmptyWed Jan 28, 2009 8:26 pm

Respvblica wrote:
I think the responsibility just isnt there yet for most 16 year olds,

It just isn't there for most voters. That, stupidity and a lack of knowledge and interest are the fundamental weaknesses of democracy. It is a bit like Communism, it could only work properly in heaven. With that in mind might as well give 10 year olds the vote for all the difference it would make. Indeed I would sooner trust the judgement of many 11 year olds than I would their parents. Anyone for the 'longer summer holidays and ban all exams party'? Certainly beats the dangerous crap the adults tend to come up with.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Poll- Should the Voting Age be Reduced to 16 Years ?   Poll-   Should the Voting Age be Reduced to 16 Years ? Empty

Back to top Go down

Poll- Should the Voting Age be Reduced to 16 Years ?
Page 1 of 1