Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Thursday June 12th - Referendum

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Thursday June 12th  - Referendum Empty
PostSubject: Thursday June 12th - Referendum   Thursday June 12th  - Referendum EmptyWed Apr 02, 2008 10:28 pm

Its on.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thursday June 12th - Referendum   Thursday June 12th  - Referendum EmptyThu Apr 03, 2008 10:06 am

Didn't ibis post this exact date on another thread? Very prescient...

I didn't think that Bertie would go until after the referendum but I imagine that his absence from the Lisbon scene now will disenfranchise a whole tranche of voters who felt that a vote against Lisbon is a vote against Bertie.

Peter Sutherland vs Mary Lou in Dublin Castle at 11.30 today - still making up my mind about whether to go along. It's the debate that Declan Ganley pulled out of. Should be entertaining to hear SF talk economics though, it's not their strong suit.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thursday June 12th - Referendum   Thursday June 12th  - Referendum EmptyThu Apr 03, 2008 10:11 am

Looks interesting all right - sorry to be missing it.

It may be that BA's departure was influenced in part by being seen to be a liability for the Yes vote, but he was so quiet about the whole thing I am not sure people were making much a connection anyway.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thursday June 12th - Referendum   Thursday June 12th  - Referendum EmptyThu Apr 03, 2008 10:25 am

cactus flower wrote:
Looks interesting all right - sorry to be missing it.

It may be that BA's departure was influenced in part by being seen to be a liability for the Yes vote, but he was so quiet about the whole thing I am not sure people were making much a connection anyway.

Indeed.

I wonder whether the FF machine had been waiting (consciously or not) for something like this to happen before they crank into action.

But I do think there is a cohort of people out there who were basing their anti-Lisbon sentiments on a dislike of Bertie and what he stands for - there are a few of them on p.ie.

Will they feel obliged now to read the document - or at least familiarise themselves with it - before taking a new stance on it? Hmmm.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thursday June 12th - Referendum   Thursday June 12th  - Referendum EmptyThu Apr 03, 2008 10:29 am

Now you've got me. I have been waiting to read too. What is the recommended version? Has any reliable on line consolidation been done ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thursday June 12th - Referendum   Thursday June 12th  - Referendum EmptyThu Apr 03, 2008 10:36 am

That's the $64,000,000 question.

I've printed off the one that's linked to reformtreaty.ie - a scandalous waste of hundreds of single sided pages. There are consolidated versions but I think that the numbering may differ. Certainly I've heard people call the same article by different numbers through reading different versions. Mine is not a consolidated version, by the way.

I do understand that there will be an official one - but not for at least another couple of weeks. I'll check with the Forum on Europe people today - if I make it.

It's not fun reading.

ibis will know better.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thursday June 12th - Referendum   Thursday June 12th  - Referendum EmptyThu Apr 03, 2008 11:35 am

Well, the official EU PDF version is due out on the 15th of this month! Paper copy on the 9th May.

Last edited by ibis on Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thursday June 12th - Referendum   Thursday June 12th  - Referendum EmptyThu Apr 03, 2008 3:08 pm

Is that the same Sutherland who was a modest attorney general but suddenly was worth over 1000 million dollars.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thursday June 12th - Referendum   Thursday June 12th  - Referendum EmptyThu Apr 03, 2008 6:54 pm

youngdan wrote:
Is that the same Sutherland who was a modest attorney general but suddenly was worth over 1000 million dollars.

The very man. Wow is he arrogant!

The speech he provided to the press people - everyone got a copy - was very different to what he actually said. Those who went to find out about the economic implications of the treaty were sorely disappointed. It turned into a pretty nasty and personalised debate because Sutherland ignored his brief and launched an attack (as opening speaker before he even heard what ML had to say!) at the No side for having the temerity to say no.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thursday June 12th - Referendum   Thursday June 12th  - Referendum Empty

Back to top Go down

Thursday June 12th - Referendum
Page 1 of 1