Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet


Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton
 
PortalPortal  HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Share | 
 

 Base Eleven / J

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Base Eleven / J   Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:57 pm

EvotingMachine0197 wrote:

I know that looks like one extra, but I use base 11 counting.
Three quick points.

1. I hardly think predicting things specifically within your own control is in order, which at least 10 of yours are.

10. If you're using base 1011 to count, you need another symbol to represent the value 1001+1, or else you run the risk of confusing people. In base 1011, '10' represents the value 1011 and '11' represents 1100. (I'm using a binary base myself).

11. Why are you using base 1011? Most of us use base 1010 for ease of counting on our fingers - where are you getting your extra digit? On second thoughts, don't answer that!
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
avatar

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Base Eleven / J   Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:28 pm

coc wrote:
EvotingMachine0197 wrote:

I know that looks like one extra, but I use base 11 counting.
Three quick points.

1. I hardly think predicting things specifically within your own control is in order, which at least 10 of yours are.

10. If you're using base 1011 to count, you need another symbol to represent the value 1001+1, or else you run the risk of confusing people. In base 1011, '10' represents the value 1011 and '11' represents 1100. (I'm using a binary base myself).

11. Why are you using base 1011? Most of us use base 1010 for ease of counting on our fingers - where are you getting your extra digit? On second thoughts, don't answer that!

Well, yes 10 of them are under my own control, maybe even 11.

With regard to your point 10, I have modified the numbering on my predictions numbers 1010 and 1011 to indicate the correct numbering i.e. J and 10 respectively.

With regard to your point 11, I just borrow one .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Base Eleven / J   Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:40 pm

In base 11 ('eleven') surely eleven is A ?
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
avatar

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Base Eleven / J   Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:47 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
In base 11 ('eleven') surely eleven is A ?

Maybe in your base 11. Not in mine. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Base Eleven / J   Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:50 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
In base 11 ('eleven') surely eleven is A ?
Is a what?
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Base Eleven / J   Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:57 pm

tonys wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:
In base 11 ('eleven') surely eleven is A ?
Is a what?

Sorry, an 'A'

EVM you could've started at the end of the Alphabet or use the astronomical symbols on the gates in STARGATE

Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Base Eleven / J   Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:06 pm

Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Base Eleven / J   Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:10 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
tonys wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:
In base 11 ('eleven') surely eleven is A ?
Is a what?

Sorry, an 'A'
‘a’ f..king what?
Don’t you mess with me, slurryhead.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
avatar

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Base Eleven / J   Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:14 pm

Could you change the title. It's wrong. It should read Base 10 ('eleven'). Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Base Eleven / J   Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:31 pm

EvotingMachine0197 wrote:
coc wrote:
EvotingMachine0197 wrote:

I know that looks like one extra, but I use base 11 counting.
Three quick points.

1. I hardly think predicting things specifically within your own control is in order, which at least 10 of yours are.

10. If you're using base 1011 to count, you need another symbol to represent the value 1001+1, or else you run the risk of confusing people. In base 1011, '10' represents the value 1011 and '11' represents 1100. (I'm using a binary base myself).

11. Why are you using base 1011? Most of us use base 1010 for ease of counting on our fingers - where are you getting your extra digit? On second thoughts, don't answer that!

Well, yes 10 of them are under my own control, maybe even 11.

With regard to your point 10, I have modified the numbering on my predictions numbers 1010 and 1011 to indicate the correct numbering i.e. J and 10 respectively.

With regard to your point 11, I just borrow one .

Thanks EVM. That's much clearer now.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Base Eleven / J   Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:09 pm

tonys wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:
tonys wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:
In base 11 ('eleven') surely eleven is A ?
Is a what?

Sorry, an 'A'
‘a’ f..king what?
Don’t you mess with me, slurryhead.

Oops sorry for that again!
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, A, B ??? = base 'eleven' first 11 ('eleven') numbers.

EvotingMachine0197 wrote:
Could you change the title. It's wrong. It should read Base 10 ('eleven'). Smile

Base 10 (base two)
Base 10 (base ten)
Base 10 (base eight)
Base B (base eleven)

Just to check with you if that's right now ??
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Base Eleven / J   Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:35 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:

Oops sorry for that again!
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, A, B ??? = base 'eleven' first 11 ('eleven') numbers.

EvotingMachine0197 wrote:
Could you change the title. It's wrong. It should read Base 10 ('eleven'). Smile

Base 10 (base two)
Base 10 (base ten)
Base 10 (base eight)
Base B (base eleven)

Just to check with you if that's right now ??
I don't think so Auditor.

Base Two uses 0 - 1, Base Ten uses 0 -9, Base Eight uses 0 - 7 and Base Eleven uses 0 - J (Since EVM is the only person on the planet using Base Eleven he gets to choose the symbol for the value ten).

You're probably getting Base B from the more familiar hexadecimal system, but I don't think there's any logical reason to use that convention to describe a Base Eleven system. At his point, the thread title should probably read just 'Base Eleven', or at a stretch Base J. The term 'Base 10' is essentially meaningless unless it is obvious what base we're using, which we are here by the addition of 'eleven' in the title, but that of course just renders the '10' redundant. Is this clear?
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Base Eleven / J   Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:39 pm

Can there not be two base elevens - his and mine. A not J.

Thanks for clearing that one up too on the Base 11/Base 10 - 10 being 11 in base 11 (both elevenses there).

It's so clear now thanks bit of Jesus.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
avatar

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Base Eleven / J   Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:54 pm

I use A for 10(%d) when I count in Hex (%x), so I want to use J for 10%d when I count in base 11(%d).

Otherwise I get confused ...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Base Eleven / J   Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:56 pm

I see. Why don't you use G ?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Base Eleven / J   

Back to top Go down
 
Base Eleven / J
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Old members of 23 Base Workshop REME
» Imam Ali base air monitoring Iraqi airspace 21/12/2011
» Iran secretly building in Port Sudan military supply base for Syria, Hizballah
» Cost of parts: relay + base?
» RAOC STORES SECTION 23 BASE WORKSHOP REME

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Machine Nation  :: Machine Nation :: Science, Technology, Engineering, Computers-
Jump to: