Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

What Time is it Mr. Wolf?

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

What Time is it Mr. Wolf? Empty
PostSubject: What Time is it Mr. Wolf?   What Time is it Mr. Wolf? EmptyMon Mar 31, 2008 9:19 pm

Things are quite frankly bad enough with clocks going back and forwards and all over the shop. I notice that time on machinenation has remained on (in?) Winter-time.

While I salute the brave stab at sanity in a world dominated by industrial notions of time-efficiency (it was either the rich people wanting more daylight to play golf or German industrialists during the first war, it was NOT the farmers so don't blame them. Blame M. O'Leary if you must) perhaps it should have been made more widely know that we were remaining an hour behind. I happen to be late now in 'Summer time'. I bid ye adieu.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What Time is it Mr. Wolf?   What Time is it Mr. Wolf? EmptyMon Mar 31, 2008 10:16 pm

This avenue of venting is a great idea. It is hard to know what time it is when the change the time here a few weeks ahead of there. I believe there are some places on a half hour difference
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What Time is it Mr. Wolf?   What Time is it Mr. Wolf? EmptyMon Mar 31, 2008 11:45 pm

Can't you do this independently on your own profile? I remember doing something similar on P.ie.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: What Time is it Mr. Wolf?   What Time is it Mr. Wolf? EmptyMon Mar 31, 2008 11:48 pm

Time check 21:48
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What Time is it Mr. Wolf?   What Time is it Mr. Wolf? EmptyMon Mar 31, 2008 11:50 pm

EvotingMachine0197 wrote:
Time check 21:48

And it's now 21:51 and it's near enough to my time, it's been fixed. Praise the Lord!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What Time is it Mr. Wolf?   What Time is it Mr. Wolf? EmptyMon Mar 31, 2008 11:52 pm

I just went in as AuditorGeneral and changed my own time through Profile>>Preferences>> Time

This would mean you, youngdan, should be able to change the time to suit yourself. Does everyone have to do it for theirselfs?
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: What Time is it Mr. Wolf?   What Time is it Mr. Wolf? EmptyMon Mar 31, 2008 11:52 pm

21:51

You can change the Tme settimgs in your user profile. Scroll down and set it to GMT+1 Hour.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What Time is it Mr. Wolf?   What Time is it Mr. Wolf? EmptyMon Mar 31, 2008 11:54 pm

How did ya clean the windscreen?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What Time is it Mr. Wolf?   What Time is it Mr. Wolf? EmptyMon Mar 31, 2008 11:54 pm

EvotingMachine0197 wrote:
21:51

You can change the Tme settimgs in your user profile. Scroll down and set it to GMT+1 Hour.

I did that in P.ie as well agus tá mé ceart go leor. It appeals to my libertarian self that people do it of their own accord and that it is their own responsibility if they lose out on the time or are generally discomfited by this. Don't intervene, Auditor #9 or EvotingMachine0197. Laissez faire!
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: What Time is it Mr. Wolf?   What Time is it Mr. Wolf? EmptyMon Mar 31, 2008 11:56 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
How did ya clean the windscreen?

I didn't. It must have cleaned itself. Shocked
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What Time is it Mr. Wolf?   What Time is it Mr. Wolf? EmptyTue Apr 01, 2008 6:36 pm

For a second, I thought this thread was a dig at me, but no. (Wolf being my family's surname, though not mine, my friends always wanted to play this game at my birthday parties at be chased by a real Mr Wolf.)

Who says I'm paranoid!?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What Time is it Mr. Wolf?   What Time is it Mr. Wolf? EmptyTue Apr 01, 2008 7:53 pm

I noticed my clock was an hour slow. I've jsut fixed it and now I'm up to date. I advise everyone else to do similarly.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What Time is it Mr. Wolf?   What Time is it Mr. Wolf? EmptyTue Apr 01, 2008 8:21 pm

To digress slightly, does anyone know which 'time' is closer to astronomical time?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What Time is it Mr. Wolf?   What Time is it Mr. Wolf? EmptyTue Apr 01, 2008 9:05 pm

905 wrote:
To digress slightly, does anyone know which 'time' is closer to astronomical time?
What is astronomical time?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What Time is it Mr. Wolf?   What Time is it Mr. Wolf? EmptyTue Apr 01, 2008 9:22 pm

Astronomical time is when our notions of time coincide with astronomy, you know what I man? A year in astronomical terms is 365 days AND five hours and 48 minutes.

Properly speaking, Midday is when the sun is supposed to be at its highest point. I assume that in some one of the 'times', such an event occurs at Greenwich.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What Time is it Mr. Wolf?   What Time is it Mr. Wolf? EmptyTue Apr 01, 2008 11:36 pm

My old sleeping clock is banjaxed and to be honest, I can't tell whether it's day or night -or what day or what night. Having got the unexpected pleasure of finishing a job early today, I came home for a snooze on a sunny couch at four o'clock and woke up after eight thinking I had to get up for Wednesday's job. I had more sleep this afternoon than I had last night.

My brain is going soft. Sleep

It is still Tuesday, isn't it?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What Time is it Mr. Wolf?   What Time is it Mr. Wolf? EmptyTue Apr 01, 2008 11:45 pm

Kate P wrote:

It is still Tuesday, isn't it?

No, it's Thursday. We had to sedate you for reckless behaviour.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What Time is it Mr. Wolf?   What Time is it Mr. Wolf? EmptyTue Apr 01, 2008 11:51 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
905 wrote:

It's the amount of time needed by HSE management to decide to do something. I do not know the term for the amount of time needed by them to actually do something. The term may not have been coined yet, because most of our descriptive words spring from reality or potential reality. Anyone?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What Time is it Mr. Wolf?   What Time is it Mr. Wolf? EmptyWed Apr 02, 2008 12:00 am

Helium Three wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:
905 wrote:

It's the amount of time needed by HSE management to decide to do something. I do not know the term for the amount of time needed by them to actually do something. The term may not have been coined yet, because most of our descriptive words spring from reality or potential reality. Anyone?

Hmm...how about kalpas, from the Upanishads? Each kalpa is 8.64 trillion years - but the best bit is that kalpas are cyclical, so one never actually goes forwards.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What Time is it Mr. Wolf?   What Time is it Mr. Wolf? EmptyWed Apr 02, 2008 12:30 am

That is a strong contender for sure. Hard to imagine a better one. But then this site has some very knowledgable posters....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What Time is it Mr. Wolf?   What Time is it Mr. Wolf? EmptyWed Apr 02, 2008 12:37 am

ibis wrote:
Helium Three wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:
905 wrote:

Hmm...how about kalpas, from the Upanishads? Each kalpa is 8.64 trillion years - but the best bit is that kalpas are cyclical, so one never actually goes forwards.

The author worked in the Irish public service Question
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What Time is it Mr. Wolf?   What Time is it Mr. Wolf? EmptyWed Apr 02, 2008 12:47 am

Not many people know that cactus flower.

Herself and Flann O'Brian were contemporaries.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What Time is it Mr. Wolf?   What Time is it Mr. Wolf? EmptyWed Apr 02, 2008 12:56 am

cactus flower wrote:
ibis wrote:
Helium Three wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:
905 wrote:

The author worked in the Irish public service Question

The author of the Upanishads? Possibly the Harappan civil service.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What Time is it Mr. Wolf?   What Time is it Mr. Wolf? EmptyWed Apr 02, 2008 1:07 am

There were reciprocal service arrangements in place between the Irish and the Indian civil service that went back a very long time. Not many people remember that these days. Even lowly ranked established civil servants in both places (quantum mechanics crops up in this story too but I digress) knew intuitively that time and rubber bands shared phenomenal properties of elasticity.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What Time is it Mr. Wolf?   What Time is it Mr. Wolf? EmptyWed Apr 02, 2008 1:11 am

Helium Three wrote:
There were reciprocal service arrangements in place between the Irish and the Indian civil service that went back a very long time. Not many people remember that these days.

Well, no, they wouldn't...the invention of writing, for example, will have swept many of the old-timers away.

Helium Three wrote:
Even lowly ranked established civil servants in both places (quantum mechanics crops up in this story too but I digress) knew intuitively that time and rubber bands shared phenomenal properties of elasticity.

Hmm...I wonder if meetings have identifiable event horizons?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What Time is it Mr. Wolf?   What Time is it Mr. Wolf? Empty

Back to top Go down

What Time is it Mr. Wolf?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next