Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Ubuntu Operating System

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

Ubuntu Operating System - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ubuntu Operating System   Ubuntu Operating System - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 16, 2008 10:52 pm

Is there a Live and full install CD Shocked

I can't remember because I just went for the full download at the time because I wanted it because I was SICK of Vista. The CD I downloaded booted from itself and I then installed it afterwards after having a quick six-minute look.

They say the old computers work better actually - ubuntu is very economical and scabby with your memory . All round it runs faster although you won't notice this so much with the live CD.

Do you know how to change the BIOS sequence already ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ubuntu Operating System   Ubuntu Operating System - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 16, 2008 11:40 pm

i couldn't get into the bios in the first place in the old computer :/... i was banging f everythings and delete like a mad thing but alas those windows kept coming up Sad

there was an option on the cd to 'help me boot' or something like that... it installed someting small and now when i boot up the old computer it gives the option of windows or ubuntu (which i assume doesn't work without the live cd), even if i don't have the cd in Sad

maybe they're not seperate cds cos i was able to use it like a live cd there but there's the option to install it as well...

incidently, it's gives an option to install it alongside windows, without the need for a partition - would that mean a kind of set up thing like where you pick which os to boot when you start the computer?

it was running very slow off the cd (the computer's shite anyway) so i'm going to have a craic off it with my good computer... wont install it or ettin yet but at least i know i can use it as a live cd.... i just hope it doesn't put up that option thing of where i have to choose which os i want at the start incase i don't want to install it and just leave it with windows
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ubuntu Operating System   Ubuntu Operating System - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 17, 2008 12:06 am

had a go off it there, slow enough but i'd imagine it's just cos of it running off a cd. i like the idea of being able to have the two systems without needing to mess around with partitioning the drive or whatever...

Quote :
I can't remember because I just went for the full download at the time because I wanted it because I was SICK of Vista.

sell it to me, why should i ubuntu it up from now on?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ubuntu Operating System   Ubuntu Operating System - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 17, 2008 12:29 am

Ah well done and congratulations. What do you think of it besides being slow ?

The brown background is fairly disgusting isn't it ?

The next thing you need to know: Applications/Accessories/Terminal..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ubuntu Operating System   Ubuntu Operating System - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 17, 2008 12:39 am

Quote :
incidently, it's gives an option to install it alongside windows, without the need for a partition - would that mean a kind of set up thing like where you pick which os to boot when you start the computer?

I've always used the partition editor to do it manually so I'm not sure how automated that option is up there. My computer has about 6 different partitions on it with several different OSes. I only use ubuntu though but I had to do it to see how and if it would work. It does.

After partitioning you get a menu at the start on boot-up with options of the OSes on your system to choose from.

Even from ubuntu, your windows files wil be visible to you on the brown desktop after install. That doesn't happen from Windows I can tell you.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ubuntu Operating System   Ubuntu Operating System - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 17, 2008 3:37 am

Well, how did you get on ? Do you still have two computers or do you now have three ?

At least your internet connection is working ... a good sign.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ubuntu Operating System   Ubuntu Operating System - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 17, 2008 3:45 am

haha ya it's a bit manky alright.... and not even a load of unclicked destop icons to cover it up Razz it's hard to tell like, i suppose it's very windows-looking like... i take it ubuntu's kind of the 'accessible' linux but i'd have liked it to look a bit different... but i've only ever used windows really so i'm not sure what i was expecting

it's nice though, i think i'll install it if i can do it and keep windows (i don't have the vista cd so here's hoping nothing goes wrong Very Happy)

the firefox on it is as Béarla but i'm sure that can be sussed... the internet didn't work when i used the live cd but i'd imagine it can be sorted as well.

all in all i like how it looks though, i've only ever heard good things about Linux but until now put it down as something you'd only use if you knew what you were doing with computers... ubuntu seems very accessible though, and if i'm able to keep windows for anything that would otherwise have a compatibility problem then all's good in the hood Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ubuntu Operating System   Ubuntu Operating System - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 17, 2008 3:46 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
Well, how did you get on ? Do you still have two computers or do you now have three ?

oh na, still on vista now, going to have a wack at it now i'd say

now that you're here though... how difficult would it be to set up a partition if i'm uneasy about the auto installation?
i could be certain then of keeping windows ya?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ubuntu Operating System   Ubuntu Operating System - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 17, 2008 3:49 am

and the beauty of it is that if i make a hames of it and only have ubuntu then... i can't get online to come on here to give out Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ubuntu Operating System   Ubuntu Operating System - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 17, 2008 3:54 am

BuachaillBeo wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:

now that you're here though... how difficult would it be to set up a partition if i'm uneasy about the auto installation?

Absolutely you'll keep windows if it gets set up right which is not so hard. You can read the screens to me if you like and I'll help you make the selections. I've never pressed the Auto config button so I can't tell you what it does. I'd suggest being over-cautious and de-fragging your Windows hard-drive first though, although I've a feeling ubuntu defrags windows as you install ubuntu - I wouldn't be surprised.

But yeah you'll keep Windows. Go on, press the 'install' button on the brown desktop ... it won't kill ya ... What a Face

edit:

If you make a hames of it ? Don't you have a second computer that you're experimenting on ? If you do it on the one you're using I wouldn't be able to talk you through the screens or anything in case you had a query. Don't you have two computers ? Try it on the one you don't want first.

I'd hate for you not to be able to come on here and not complain .. Sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ubuntu Operating System   Ubuntu Operating System - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 17, 2008 4:14 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
BuachaillBeo wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:

Absolutely you'll keep windows if it gets set up right which is not so hard. You can read the screens to me if you like and I'll help you make the selections. I've never pressed the Auto config button so I can't tell you what it does. I'd suggest being over-cautious and de-fragging your Windows hard-drive first though, although I've a feeling ubuntu defrags windows as you install ubuntu - I wouldn't be surprised.

But yeah you'll keep Windows. Go on, press the 'install' button on the brown desktop ... it won't kill ya ... What a Face

edit:

If you make a hames of it ? Don't you have a second computer that you're experimenting on ? If you do it on the one you're using I wouldn't be able to talk you through the screens or anything in case you had a query. Don't you have two computers ? Try it on the one you don't want first.

I'd hate for you not to be able to come on here and not complain .. Sad

the second one only ever worked with the internet on dial up. a laptop that doesn't recognise it's battery anymore and only works by plugging it into the mains, and making sure the power supply line input into the actual computer kept pressured from the left... it's seen better days like Razz so i wont be able to on the nation and work away with the installation unfortunately. i went for a full install there but exited out when it asked about how to partition the drive, which i wasn't sure what i should've done. am looking at the options on the disk from windows now and here's what i must've been thinking of - apparently i can install and remove it from within windows as a normal program. it doesn't need a separate partition but i'll have to give up on my dream of having a 'hibernate' option in ubuntu, and disk performance will be 'slightly reduced' compared to the other... i think it's my best option considering so i'm going to do that now... i can always sort it out properly if it gets to the stage where i only use ubuntu and am getting the new version or whatever...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ubuntu Operating System   Ubuntu Operating System - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 17, 2008 4:20 am

Have you got XP or Vista ? In Vista you can go in and partition your disk there first if you're afraid of doing it through ubuntu. It's scary the first time to see all that stuff you haven't seen before.

If you click on the Vista Stat button, hover your mouse over 'My Computer' or 'Computer' and right click - you should see a disk maintenance option there ...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ubuntu Operating System   Ubuntu Operating System - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 17, 2008 4:21 am

It's called disk manager I'm sure.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ubuntu Operating System   Ubuntu Operating System - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 17, 2008 4:25 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
It's called disk manager I'm sure.

ya it's vista. ok so what should i do? i have two partitions as it is, the main one, and then one that's HP_Recovery or something like that... i imagine i could get it all back from that if everything went tits up. how much would i need to split into the new one so to get enough to install ubuntu? and i use could still belt away with all 3 while in it then ya? the only thing that put me off was when i was in the installion it said something like

partition 1 = 97%
partition 2 = 3%
to
ubuntu = 100%

click next

or something like that Surprised
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ubuntu Operating System   Ubuntu Operating System - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 17, 2008 4:56 am

Yeah that sounds frightening alright.

You have two Vista partitions or drives ? Sometimes people have a D: drive.

What's the size of your hard drive ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ubuntu Operating System   Ubuntu Operating System - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 17, 2008 5:17 am

Anyway better hit the hay.

I suggest you have a poke around in that place in Windows anyway first -

Start/Right-click Computer/Manage/Disk Management

You should see a kind of map of your hard drive there below - mine has Disk0 Basic 74GB etc. and then a breakdown of the partitions. Yours might be just one big partition on drive 0. Right-click on the partition box just to the right there and have a look at the options you're given. One of them should be 'Shrink Volume' .... I'll leave you with that thought.

p.s. don't do anything unless you're absolutely sure ..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ubuntu Operating System   Ubuntu Operating System - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 17, 2008 5:26 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
p.s. don't do anything unless you're absolutely sure ..

greetings from ubuntu! Surprised
ya i went with the safer option of keeping it in c: without partitioning... only time will tell if the performance will be lacking because of this but everything's ok otherwise... just trying to get used to firefox in english now Sad but all shall be recified.

thanks to yourself and coc for the advice and sure i'll let ye know how it goes!

johnfæs (right must fix that key to give me a fada instead of a æ anyway....) sorry for stealing your thread but i promise to give you a full review in return!

night all!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ubuntu Operating System   Ubuntu Operating System - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 17, 2008 5:39 am

Good on you - you're spreading the good stuff around

unix is the worlds most prevalent computer virus you know - a giant yoke which takes over your machine

you can get ubuntu in irish now you know by installing a language package. Good night, welcome to the revolution and keep us informed as to your opinions and the performance of your machine.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ubuntu Operating System   Ubuntu Operating System - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 17, 2008 5:55 am

Hey I found this nice site for you in case you want to do it the other way
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installing

It's got a good visual walkthrough by the looks of it - I've put a couple of the scarier screenshots below. I usually do in manually but he does it guided/resize - looks fairly user-friendly even though wtf does it mean SCSI sda partition .. ?? It looks like you can resize by dragging that little yellow thing .. handy if you can. And it looks pretty self-explanatory too.

Ubuntu Operating System - Page 2 Installinghardyplus10

Ubuntu Operating System - Page 2 Installinghardyplus11
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ubuntu Operating System   Ubuntu Operating System - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 17, 2008 10:13 am

I have Linte liombo and Eireaball spideoige in the room

Both have your photo on the cover

And there I was looking for a tech strand

BuachaillBeo wrote:
i couldn't get into the bios in the first place in the old computer :/... i was banging f everythings and delete like a mad thing but alas those windows kept coming up Sad

there was an option on the cd to 'help me boot' or something like that... it installed someting small and now when i boot up the old computer it gives the option of windows or ubuntu (which i assume doesn't work without the live cd), even if i don't have the cd in Sad

maybe they're not seperate cds cos i was able to use it like a live cd there but there's the option to install it as well...

it was running very slow off the cd (the computer's shite anyway) so i'm going to have a craic off it with my good computer... wont install it or ettin yet but at least i know i can use it as a live cd.... i just hope it doesn't put up that option thing of where i have to choose which os i want at the start incase i don't want to install it and just leave it with windows
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ubuntu Operating System   Ubuntu Operating System - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 17, 2008 1:04 pm

erigena wrote:

Ubuntu Operating System - Page 2 39-51

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Se%C3%A1n_%C3%93_R%C3%ADord%C3%A1in

Idea
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ubuntu Operating System   Ubuntu Operating System - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 17, 2008 4:10 pm

erigena wrote:

Ya i was bit of a world-class poet in my time alright... now i get by with trying to install linux Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ubuntu Operating System   Ubuntu Operating System - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 17, 2008 4:13 pm

thanks for photos audi.. i think i came across that program when i was sauntering around on the live cd... the one i had to use while trying to install was different though.. it didn't have windows or ubuntu running like so you know yourself, anything that can only reach 256 colours at the maximum and it asks you to make system-wide changes you'd be weary like... see the thing is now that i don't know if i could do the above with the way it's been set up... both windows and ubuntu are on c:, do i'm not sure if i can even partition it to seperate them now :S
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ubuntu Operating System   Ubuntu Operating System - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 17, 2008 6:58 pm

BuachaillBeo wrote:
thanks for photos audi.. i think i came across that program when i was sauntering around on the live cd... the one i had to use while trying to install was different though.. it didn't have windows or ubuntu running like so you know yourself, anything that can only reach 256 colours at the maximum and it asks you to make system-wide changes you'd be weary like... see the thing is now that i don't know if i could do the above with the way it's been set up... both windows and ubuntu are on c:, do i'm not sure if i can even partition it to seperate them now :S

I'm just not aware of that set up I'm afraid but it sounds very helpful if you're uninitiated in disk partitioning, swap space, master boot records drunken

The first time I installed Linux was in 1999 on a pc - Redhat 6 and I read up on partitioning and all that stuff for a month beforehand. I got really stuck using a DOS program FDISK but in the end I gambled on a patitition-delete option and it worked. I had created a new partition but it needed to be 'deleted' or formatted or something. I had had my pc about a week only so I wasn't losing anything. The more shite you have on it the harder it is to muck around with it.

Is it wireless and is it working ok ? How do you find it overall so far ? You can convert it to Irish completely too - maybe there could be some mistakes in there that you could end up correcting Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ubuntu Operating System   Ubuntu Operating System - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 17, 2008 8:31 pm

Ya i've thrown it into Irish but I say I'll be switching to and from while I'm getting used to it... it's good, it doesn't seem to jam up as much as windows and it's working a bit better. just one or two things i need to sort out - i can't use desktop effects because the nvidia driver things makes the top bar go different colours when i hover over it... i think i've to go into sound properties each time i load up to bring up some level so that the volume works... other than that it seems to be running well Smile

one thing though is that i can't seem to get into my files that are available to me in windows... maybe it's something to do with the fact i didn't partition but my filesystem says i've 5gigs free (i've 19 in windows) and i can't get into the drive from the root to find any of my files.... can that be sorted do you have any idea? it'd be a pain if i couldn't get into them like..

for basic internet browsing and such though i'd even say now i'd be more inclined to use ubuntu, there's just less bollocks with it like!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ubuntu Operating System   Ubuntu Operating System - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Ubuntu Operating System
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next