Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 20 ... 27  Next
AuthorMessage

If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 13 Empty
PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 13 EmptyTue Jan 27, 2009 1:16 pm

ibis wrote:
Jaysus, lads - in the bar already?

I think they might have been there all night Ibis. I saw some bodies slumped at the bar when I came in to give the place a mop around this morning.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 13 EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 12:33 am

I've got €30 to last me the next two weeks. Looks like all my drinking is goinmg to be in here for the next while (thankfully I haven't been so reckless with my Minaudis).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 13 EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 12:37 am

We still have some of the home brew if you are feeling strong enough...

If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 13 Home-brew-bottles
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 13 EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 12:43 am

evercloserunion wrote:
I've got €30 to last me the next two weeks. Looks like all my drinking is goinmg to be in here for the next while (thankfully I haven't been so reckless with my Minaudis).
You haven't spent any money here. In fact the interest on the money in your meagre account which everyone gets on registering here - 9 miniaudis - has grown to three hundred and fifty miniaudis Shocked

Unfortunately we only drink Bling H2O here, for example .... sorrry...

If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 13 Dsc00310

An Sibín was erected during the dizzying heights of the Celtic Tower of Babel ...

If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 13 Bling-h2o
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 13 EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 12:58 am

Auditor #9 wrote:

If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 13 Bling-h2o
I just love the shape of that bottle.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 13 EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 1:06 am

Looks like she's getting ready to smuggle it through customs.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 13 EmptySat Jan 31, 2009 2:22 am

Lefronde wrote:
If you were born between 1968-1975 - you unfortunately belong to the beaten generation.

When you were in school (public or private) your classes were oversized.

When you reached your teens the last recession was at its worst.

The only summer jobs on offer were in pubs or hotels, and the pay was appalling.

When you did your leaving, there were scarce places in underfunded universities and colleges. Requiring astronomical points. More often then not you had to study something other than what you wanted or repeat the leaving in the hope of getting the points next time around.

You had to work in America, England or Germany to pay your college fees, unless you got a grant, or a had a covenant.

When you completed college there were no jobs, so you emigrated or stayed in third level education

When you did get a job, the property market raced ahead of your earnings, requiring you to raise a very high deposit which five years before would have bought a house.

The house you live in is not what you wanted, where you wanted and when you wanted it.

Prices accelerated, adding an extra burden on you.

You are mortgaged up to the hilt, renting or sadly for some still living with their parents.

Now you are in negative equity, your salary is being cut, you are likely to be made redundant. Taxes are rising, unemployment is beckoning, and worse of all you can't emigrate because the international financial crisis has destroyed many economies.

You belong to the beaten generation, and none of this was your fault, but you have been paying the price since you were born.

http://www.politics.ie/chat/41852-beaten-generation.html#post1396092

Very interesting and accurate. I thought we were called Generation X, maybe we are, but this is chillingly accurate for myself and many many people I know. Many are still unmarried, childless, restless, renting, living with their folks, careerless or have had several careers.

I've thought about this group before as the pattern was evident for me but I hadn't realised we'd been pigeon-holed so well. The Beaten Generation - in case you were wondering, there's a song by The The of the same name in case you'd heard that expression before.

All we need to top it off now is to be somehow dragged off into a war as we approach the beginning of our lives (our forties). And even though it's all true, some of us don't seem that bitter do we?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 13 EmptySat Jan 31, 2009 3:08 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
Lefronde wrote:
If you were born between 1968-1975 - you unfortunately belong to the beaten generation.

The only summer jobs on offer were in pubs or hotels, and the pay was appalling.

When you did your leaving, there were scarce places in underfunded universities and colleges. Requiring astronomical points. More often then not you had to study something other than what you wanted or repeat the leaving in the hope of getting the points next time around.

You had to work in America, England or Germany to pay your college fees, unless you got a grant, or a had a covenant.

When you completed college there were no jobs, so you emigrated or stayed in third level education

When you did get a job, the property market raced ahead of your earnings, requiring you to raise a very high deposit which five years before would have bought a house.

The house you live in is not what you wanted, where you wanted and when you wanted it.

You are mortgaged up to the hilt, renting or sadly for some still living with their parents.

Now you are in negative equity, your salary is being cut, you are likely to be made redundant. Taxes are rising, unemployment is beckoning, and worse of all you can't emigrate because the international financial crisis has destroyed many economies.

You belong to the beaten generation, and none of this was your fault, but you have been paying the price since you were born.

Very interesting and accurate. I thought we were called Generation X, maybe we are, but this is chillingly accurate for myself and many many people I know. Many are still unmarried, childless, restless, renting, living with their folks, careerless or have had several careers.

I've thought about this group before as the pattern was evident for me but I hadn't realised we'd been pigeon-holed so well. The Beaten Generation - in case you were wondering, there's a song by The The of the same name in case you'd heard that expression before.

All we need to top it off now is to be somehow dragged off into a war as we approach the beginning of our lives (our forties). And even though it's all true, some of us don't seem that bitter do we?
Tough shit, I would have thought.
All things being equal, anyone born before ‘68 and going all the way back, had it rougher, the difference being, in my experience, they don’t have the same expectations for an easy ride.
Yes things are difficult at the moment but they have been a lot worse in the past, so let’s not get too carried away with our misfortune.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 13 EmptySat Jan 31, 2009 3:17 am

I'm with tonys on this one, I have had a much cushier life than my parents did as kids sixty-odd years ago, them living in absolute poverty, having to leave school at 13, having to watch siblings die of TB, having to emigrate, etc. It's an inherent cyclical downturn, it happens, it's happened twice before that I remember well, and it will happen many times again before I die, God Willing. That post smacks of solipsism to me...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 13 EmptySat Jan 31, 2009 3:18 am

Well I'm not really getting overly depressed or anything (born in year of rat ..) - it's more of an interesting academic exercise and very accurate to my mind. I'm not joking - I know people who seem to be in the biggest boat as the wave is going up and the smallest one as the wave is going down !!

There's no doubt about it it's just tough shit. It's very compelling though! Now that you know we exist you can watch out for more of us on a forum/radio/tv/halfpenny bridge near you, begging...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 13 EmptySat Jan 31, 2009 3:28 am

toxic avenger wrote:
That post smacks of solipsism to me...
F..k me, but you're a man for the words, aren't ya.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 13 EmptySat Jan 31, 2009 3:38 am

tonys wrote:
toxic avenger wrote:
That post smacks of solipsism to me...
F..k me, but you're a man for the words, aren't ya.

I'm like Bill O'Reilly at the end of the O'Reilly Factor every night, a new 'big' word every day. Tomorrow I'll be using 'mellifluous'...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 13 EmptySat Jan 31, 2009 11:02 pm

Is it wise to link to this place from the other place.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 13 EmptySat Jan 31, 2009 11:04 pm

Ah yea, we summarily execute those who cannot post in a manner compatible with our Charter.

All Hail the Charter!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 13 EmptySat Jan 31, 2009 11:06 pm

evercloserunion wrote:
Is it wise to link to this place from the other place.
You're probably right - I was trying to be smart as the thread over there is about moderation on the property pin ...

I'll delete my post but pints to floatingingalway - yay!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 13 EmptySun Feb 01, 2009 1:08 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
Lefronde wrote:

Christ Audi - is our 40s, the beginning of our lives?

I fall into that age-group, but don't feel beaten at all. My mother had a far tougher life, her mother the kind of existence has been outlawed in modern times.

I've always felt lucky to be born into an era of opportunities, where what doesn't kill you makes you stronger and you get on with it - because that's what you did and do and you know no other way.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 13 EmptySun Feb 01, 2009 1:18 am

Isn't comparing generations a bit of a futile exercise? I mean my parents and their parents went through huge difficulties. My grandparents were starting families when ration books were still in existence and my parents generation had to emigrate to every corner of the world to get jobs. At the same time I'm in the generation which supposedly, and probably, had it easiest - celtic tiger cubs, free university education, lots to dream of and look forward to - yet few of us can get jobs.

Every generation has its upside and its downside. What has really made the last couple of generations far better to live in are a rise in the standard of healthcare and technology. These will continue to exist once we are at the other side of this recession/depression. We aren't going back to the days of communal outside toilets.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 13 EmptySun Feb 01, 2009 1:27 am

It is futile, johnfás but part of the human condition. We measure our progress as a society on how we surpass the previous generation.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 13 EmptySun Feb 01, 2009 1:32 am

Well I have friends who live on all the continents bar antartica and I can get in touch with them through Facebook or MSN at the touch of a button with no cost bar my broadband. I can travel to vast areas of Eastern Europe that people of my age 30 years ago could not. There are so many opportunities which I have that my parents did not have. Whilst there was certainly jobs for life and countless other advantages to the past, society continues to develop and move... whether that move is forwards, backwards, left or right... it is moving and it will continue to move.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 13 EmptySun Feb 01, 2009 1:35 am

I'd say comparing generations might be considered some branch of anthropology johnfás so maybe that is as futile as some mathematics, philosophy even ... abstract art Wink

Kate I'm delighted you don't feel beaten but in reality - are you in effect?

I think ye're missing the point by saying your folks and their folks had it differently - of course they did and that difference for them didn't change throughout their tough existences whereas for us, as you say, sprung up opportunites so we had the chance to avail of those opportunties and some of us did but many of us were up against it for the reasons your man says above.

We were up against it far more than were the generation immediately after us because things changed just as were gearing up for a big fight but then the rules were relaxed (as in the case of changing the entry requirements for University Grants in 1990 - the year I went to University - you don't remember that though do you Kate Wink )
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 13 EmptySun Feb 01, 2009 1:54 am

Am I pished or is the site weird again ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 13 EmptySun Feb 01, 2009 1:55 am

Possibly both but definately the latter.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 13 EmptySun Feb 01, 2009 1:57 am

It's weirder than ever.

Not beaten Audi.

What was the story with the grants in 1990? I was busy studying for my Inter cert then...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 13 EmptySun Feb 01, 2009 1:58 am

When did the Inter become the Junior?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 13 EmptySun Feb 01, 2009 2:01 am

1992 I think, johnfás.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite   If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite - Page 13 Empty

Back to top Go down

If You're Chillin' - An Síbín Reoite
Page 13 of 27Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 20 ... 27  Next