Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

RIP Beamish and Crawfords

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

RIP Beamish and Crawfords - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: RIP Beamish and Crawfords   RIP Beamish and Crawfords - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 08, 2008 3:39 am

The Guinness in Australia I imagined to be what liquified frothy cardboard would be like. Fairly light compared to the cold soup we get here. Someone told me there was an additive in it to combat the cold.

I used to like Tooheys New but I'd drink VBeer over there too. I think in WA there was a beer called 'Piss'. They were all piss unless cold, then they were all fine.

Do you know the little sachets of ketchup for pies which you can snap in half ? We should have them here. And some Iced Coffee too like the stuff again in WA
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RIP Beamish and Crawfords   RIP Beamish and Crawfords - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 08, 2008 3:56 am

Thats exactly it - chill them all too much and they'll all taste the same. As least you can taste the moldy guinness. Perhaps I'm soundling like someone who cuts themself so they can feel again on that one though.

Do you realise the slagging you'd get is you said to an aussie you put ketchup on pies! Its sauce on pies although what the difference is I don't know.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RIP Beamish and Crawfords   RIP Beamish and Crawfords - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 08, 2008 4:38 am

Yep, chill them all out in your Eskey and consume the pies while downing a few pots of a drive.

Is it an urban myth that in Australia they used to measure the driving distance by the number of beers you'd drink on the way ? While driving ?

Now if we did that here more then the likes of Beamish and Crawford would be well open Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RIP Beamish and Crawfords   RIP Beamish and Crawfords - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 08, 2008 4:45 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
The Guinness in Australia I imagined to be what liquified frothy cardboard would be like. Fairly light compared to the cold soup we get here. Someone told me there was an additive in it to combat the cold.

I used to like Tooheys New but I'd drink VBeer over there too. I think in WA there was a beer called 'Piss'. They were all piss unless cold, then they were all fine.

Do you know the little sachets of ketchup for pies which you can snap in half ? We should have them here. And some Iced Coffee too like the stuff again in WA

You can always tell someone who doesn't like beer, only pretends to, by this remark. But then most of that nitro-keg lager really is piss, gassy tasteless piss at that.

I highly recommend anything brewed by Shepherd Neame by the way, never had a single bad drink, or a hangover, when imbibing their loveliness...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RIP Beamish and Crawfords   RIP Beamish and Crawfords - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 08, 2008 4:55 am

Never heard of Shepherd Neame now. Is it Aussie too ?

I was a cider drinker just after being a Guinness drinker and I was happy enough with the Aussie beers. The piss thing refers to this

RIP Beamish and Crawfords - Page 2 6pack
http://www.pi55.com/MERCHANDISE.html
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RIP Beamish and Crawfords   RIP Beamish and Crawfords - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 08, 2008 4:57 am

Auditor #9 wrote:

I was a cider drinker just after being a Guinness drinker and I was happy enough with the Aussie beers. The piss thing refers to this

No, it's Kentish, beers like Bishop's Finger and Hen's Tooth, they're in most off-licenses here now.

How could you switch from Guinness to cider? I'd be sick...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RIP Beamish and Crawfords   RIP Beamish and Crawfords - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 08, 2008 5:06 am

toxic avenger wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:

No, it's Kentish, beers like Bishop's Finger and Hen's Tooth, they're in most off-licenses here now.

No not in the same night in the same decade. I never drank beer unless there was no alternative. Guinness in the winter, cider in the summer. Do you not drink Beamish ? I used to think at one stage that a good pint of Beamish was the best stout. There's a nice floral bouquet off Beamish.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RIP Beamish and Crawfords   RIP Beamish and Crawfords - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 08, 2008 5:10 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
toxic avenger wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:

No not in the same night in the same decade. I never drank beer unless there was no alternative. Guinness in the winter, cider in the summer. Do you not drink Beamish ? I used to think at one stage that a good pint of Beamish was the best stout. There's a nice floral bouquet off Beamish.

I have indeed, it was cheaper and tasted just as good, if not better, than Guinness and Murphys. When I worked as a barman years ago I used to have to change the Guinness and Murphys barrels two or three times a day, but the Beamish one could last a week. I never understood that..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RIP Beamish and Crawfords   RIP Beamish and Crawfords - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 08, 2008 8:45 am

Distance to pot ratio - hmm, yeah that sounds about right, people have a cavalier attitude to drink driving here. I was getting some driving lessons recently and my instructer definately smelt like he'd had one or two.

I heard once that Guinness were gradually changing the taste of their pint by making it by degrees slightly sweeter. I guess its to broaden its appeal among young drinkers or something. Thing is, it was so gradual that the best way to notice this was to have a pint of beamish then switch to Guinness - Beamish being closer in taste to 'old' Guinness. I can't say I ever tried to see to be honest.

All this talk of beer is making me thirsty.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RIP Beamish and Crawfords   RIP Beamish and Crawfords - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 08, 2008 11:53 am

shutuplaura wrote:
Distance to pot ratio - hmm, yeah that sounds about right, people have a cavalier attitude to drink driving here. I was getting some driving lessons recently and my instructer definately smelt like he'd had one or two.

I heard once that Guinness were gradually changing the taste of their pint by making it by degrees slightly sweeter. I guess its to broaden its appeal among young drinkers or something. Thing is, it was so gradual that the best way to notice this was to have a pint of beamish then switch to Guinness - Beamish being closer in taste to 'old' Guinness. I can't say I ever tried to see to be honest.

All this talk of beer is making me thirsty.

I had a driving instructor who turned up to collect me reeking of booze and who proceeded to hit a kerb within minutes of driving us off - I demanded to be let out and walked home with his cries of " bXXXXing nervous women drivers" ringing in my ears.

Has anyone tried Adnams ? (Norfolk and Cambridge) or Felinfoel (South Wales)? Bitters to die for.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RIP Beamish and Crawfords   RIP Beamish and Crawfords - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 10, 2008 2:07 am

No but I really like those british bitters like Tetlys or London Pride. They are warm weak and flat but I can't get enough of them!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RIP Beamish and Crawfords   RIP Beamish and Crawfords - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 10, 2008 2:10 am

shutuplaura wrote:
No but I really like those british bitters like Tetlys or London Pride. They are warm weak and flat but I can't get enough of them!

Mmm - warm beer on a sunny day Razz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RIP Beamish and Crawfords   RIP Beamish and Crawfords - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 10, 2008 2:31 am

That reminds me of Castlemain XXXX - a firm and robust beer from Newcastle 100 miles North of Sydney.

Have you been to the Blue Mountain City for Christmas yet, shutuplaura ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RIP Beamish and Crawfords   RIP Beamish and Crawfords - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 10, 2008 3:14 am

Castlemain XXXX is fine when it is very well chilled. They did an offer on it for years in the off license in Sandyford which suited my friends very well. It is revolting lukewarm.

I had Temple Brau in the Porterhouse this evening, was decent.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RIP Beamish and Crawfords   RIP Beamish and Crawfords - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 10, 2008 9:02 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
That reminds me of Castlemain XXXX - a firm and robust beer from Newcastle 100 miles North of Sydney.

Have you been to the Blue Mountain City for Christmas yet, shutuplaura ?

I've got a victorians snobishness towards other states beers, I was just going to write that it was piss then i realised I've probably never drank it. No, never been, assume its in NSW, have only actually visited NSW twice - I transfered over with work and unfortunately haven't been able to take weeks off to backpack around. I've been spending most of my holidays in asia. Going off the subject of Beamish altogether one of the nices beers I've ever drank was unpastuerised vietnamese beer with a self life of a day sold by street vendors on the streets of Hanoi. Yummy. Aparently the recipie was brought over by Czech engineers during the cold war. Everyone drinks it and its about 10 cents a glass.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RIP Beamish and Crawfords   RIP Beamish and Crawfords - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 10, 2008 9:04 am

cactus flower wrote:
shutuplaura wrote:

Mmm - warm beer on a sunny day Razz

Avoids brain freeze in speed drinking situations.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RIP Beamish and Crawfords   RIP Beamish and Crawfords - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

RIP Beamish and Crawfords
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Machine Nation  :: Politics and Current News :: Local and Regional-
Jump to: