Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed Empty
PostSubject: Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed   Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed EmptySun Mar 30, 2008 11:41 pm

I used to run a bit and one of my goals for this year is to do the Achill Half Marathon.
My virtual running buddy has, sadly, abandoned me and I'm wondering if anyone here is up to the challenge. 13 miles in beautiful scenery.

There are 10 week schedules online for all levels - so no excuses if you're a total beginner.

My aim is to complete it comfortably and I'll be using the beginner schedule because I haven't run much since I got injured last year. Paula Radcliffe need have nothing to fear.

Some blurb from the website http://www.achillmarathon.com/register.html to entice you.

Quote :
The race will take place on July 5th 2008 starting at 11.00am.

After another successful half marathon event in July 2007 we look forward to an even bigger & better event for 2008. All proceeds will go to the Silent Masses charity. Your participation is greatly appreciated and we would ask you to consider running your race for Silent Masses. Please indicate your intention in the area marked on the registration form and we will send you a sponsor pack.

We have many extra events lined up for 2008 including a free beach Bar-B-Q for all participants after the race and everyone can browse through our "Tented Village" where there will be many interesting stalls and events. We hope that you will enjoy the race along with all the other events of the weekend. You can look forward to participating in one of the most beautiful runs in the world. Click here for prizes.

Any takers?

Go on, go on, go on....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed   Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed EmptySun Mar 30, 2008 11:43 pm

Sure no problem - I can virtually run ..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed   Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed EmptyMon Mar 31, 2008 12:28 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
Sure no problem - I can virtually run ..

Excellent! There are 14 weeks to the race I think so that means that even if you're starting from absolute scratch - ie, virtually run, a few weeks at the first level (week 1) will see you right.

Great stuff, Auditor. Wink

Now who's next?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed   Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed EmptyMon Mar 31, 2008 12:58 am

no - i can only virtually run ... Shocked
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed   Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed EmptyMon Mar 31, 2008 1:02 am

Auditor #9 wrote:

You're almost there? Haven't quite taken the first real step?

This, my dear Auditor, is the spur you have been waiting for.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed   Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed EmptyMon Mar 31, 2008 1:03 am

Were I in any fit state to I would. Alas, I am not.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed   Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed EmptyMon Mar 31, 2008 2:00 am

Me neither. I keep an ambulance parked on the landing, in case I have to run up the stairs.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed   Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed EmptyMon Mar 31, 2008 2:32 am

Im making progress in that regard - I've started to cycle from Rathmines to Sandyford every morning to work - one of these weeks I'll be able to go all the way without having to stop for emergency oxgyen at the Beacon on the way!

Best of luck with tho Kate!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed   Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed EmptyMon Apr 07, 2008 7:34 pm

bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce

Just giving this a bump.... any takers?

My running buddy has well and truly broken my heart and some virtual company would be appreciated.

Go on....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed   Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed EmptyMon Apr 07, 2008 7:38 pm

What's the route in Achill?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed   Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed EmptyMon Apr 07, 2008 7:45 pm

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed   Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed EmptyMon Apr 07, 2008 8:49 pm

I would, were I not in the midst of such upheavel with various things No

I keep meaning to do the full marathon at some stage
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed   Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed EmptyMon Apr 07, 2008 8:54 pm

Kate P wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:

You're almost there? Haven't quite taken the first real step?

This, my dear Auditor, is the spur you have been waiting for.

What is a virtual running buddy?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed   Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed EmptyMon Apr 07, 2008 9:05 pm

cactus flower wrote:

I presume it is you both follow the same training schedule keeping each other up to date with your progress over the net whilst you do it. Letting each other know what you are struggling with etc.

Then if all goes well you can go and run the race together!

flower
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed   Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed EmptyMon Apr 07, 2008 10:19 pm

johnfás wrote:
cactus flower wrote:

I presume it is you both follow the same training schedule keeping each other up to date with your progress over the net whilst you do it. Letting each other know what you are struggling with etc.

Then if all goes well you can go and run the race together!

flower

This sounds like a nice idea.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed   Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 4:54 pm

I'm not crazy about the route. A real marathon would be from Keem through Keel and on to Doogort and maybe the Golden Strand. That's the best scenery, bar climbing a few mountains.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed   Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 5:04 pm

905 wrote:
I'm not crazy about the route. A real marathon would be from Keem through Keel and on to Doogort and maybe the Golden Strand. That's the best scenery, bar climbing a few mountains.

A worthy 5,000th post! Excellent choice of thread to post it on, 905!

It's only a half marathon and the route will do fine for now. There is a Connemara Ultra Marathon as far as I know, which is 40 gruelling miles up hill and down dale.

But 'not crazy about the route' isn't terminal.... Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed   Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 5:21 pm

All right, I'll bloody spell it out for you. I'm too lazy to do it. I don't want to do it. I am a bad person, physically and morally weak.

Happy now?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed   Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 6:57 pm

Loud and clear, 905.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed   Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 9:14 pm

I'm going to be in Belgium for the race itself, which I know will make me really wussy about doing the training. How about I give the training a shot, and then send my brother to run the race with you? (He's actually planning on running it; it wouldn't be a complete shock to him.)

I heard the organisers are banning the use of mp3 players and such like from next year, and they're discouraging it for this year. What's the rationale behind that, anyone know?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed   Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed EmptyWed Apr 09, 2008 10:04 am

TheBear wrote:
I'm going to be in Belgium for the race itself, which I know will make me really wussy about doing the training. How about I give the training a shot, and then send my brother to run the race with you? (He's actually planning on running it; it wouldn't be a complete shock to him.)

I heard the organisers are banning the use of mp3 players and such like from next year, and they're discouraging it for this year. What's the rationale behind that, anyone know?

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

That would be great, TheBear. Thanks.

I'm off to do a couple of miles now - it's a nice morning for it - and will be glad of the virtual company.

Have you had a look at the schedules above? I'm working from the beginners one - but maybe you're fitter than I am...

The women's mini-marathon is on in a couple of months - maybe that might be a focus for you if you can't do Achill. What do you think? It's 6 miles/10k and doable....
I don't listen to music when I'm out and I never really have. Firstly there's not much point in aerating the brain only to fill that headspace with music instead of thought and secondly there's a safety issue for me because I like to be aware of what's going on around me - cars coming around bends etc.

A race would be much more sociable if people engage with each other - that's the only reason I can suggest for the organisers banning them on the day.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed   Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed EmptyWed Apr 09, 2008 10:08 am

Kate P wrote:
http://www.achillmarathon.com/achillmap.html
Is it the Connemarathon? How far is it? 6 miles? When's it on?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed   Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed EmptyWed Apr 09, 2008 10:21 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
Kate P wrote:
http://www.achillmarathon.com/achillmap.html
Is it the Connemarathon? How far is it? 6 miles? When's it on?

July 5th - 13 miles - not Conemara - which is way too gruelling for me (and probably full by now anyway) - interested?

[/quote]Thank you for supporting the Achill Half Marathon event. We are now taking registration for our upcoming events in 2008. The race will take place on July 5th 2008 starting at 11.00am.

After another successful half marathon event in July 2007 we look forward to an even bigger & better event for 2008. All proceeds will go to the Silent Masses charity. Your participation is greatly appreciated and we would ask you to consider running your race for Silent Masses. Please indicate your intention in the area marked on the registration form and we will send you a sponsor pack.

We have many extra events lined up for 2008 including a free beach Bar-B-Q for all participants after the race and everyone can browse through our "Tented Village" where there will be many interesting stalls and events. We hope that you will enjoy the race along with all the other events of the weekend. You can look forward to participating in one of the most beautiful runs in the world
[/quote]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed   Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed EmptyWed Apr 09, 2008 10:33 am

13 miles? woah !! I have never run that far in my life. I have variously tried it in my life, the running, but just couldn't do it. I prefer walking Kate, sorry. Hiker is my man...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed   Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed EmptyWed Apr 09, 2008 11:15 am

No problem. I've walked a couple of full marathons - it's good fun and the medals are great! Happy hiking!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed   Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed Empty

Back to top Go down

Fitness Machine - Virtual Running Buddy Needed
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next