Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Lisbon and Neutrality

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage

Lisbon and Neutrality - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lisbon and Neutrality   Lisbon and Neutrality - Page 6 EmptyMon May 12, 2008 11:01 pm

youngdan wrote:
I would imagine the army in Portugal is for the same reason as Ireland. It is for the protection of the state. The Irish Army is to protect the Irish State from internal forces that would try to overthrow it. What do you think it is for. Why would anybody want not to recognise this fact.

Youngdan, do you have a gun? Or know people who do? Who are those guns to be used against? People's families in case of domestic revolt?
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Lisbon and Neutrality   Lisbon and Neutrality - Page 6 EmptyTue May 13, 2008 12:28 am

Get this.

I received a hand written (address) letter (inkjet) form a person in Austria pleading with me to vote no in the referendum. Return address included. Went on about the Austrian Govt defying the wishes of 70% of the people to have a referendum. Mad. Never got a letter like that before. Sent from Vienna on May 5th.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lisbon and Neutrality   Lisbon and Neutrality - Page 6 EmptyTue May 13, 2008 12:31 am

EvotingMachine0197 wrote:
Get this.

I received a hand written (address) letter (inkjet) form a person in Austria pleading with me to vote no in the referendum. Return address included. Went on about the Austrian Govt defying the wishes of 70% of the people to have a referendum. Mad. Never got a letter like that before. Sent from Vienna on May 5th.

The Guardian ran a similar campaign during the 2004 US Presidential election.

They gave out the addresses of thousands of non-aligned registered voters in a polling distrct in Ohio. I wrote to one of them. I told him that the most emotional place I had ever been was Omaha Beach in Normandy, and that I hoped the US would once again become a becon for hope and freedom in a chaotic and dangerous world.

It didn't work.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lisbon and Neutrality   Lisbon and Neutrality - Page 6 EmptyTue May 13, 2008 12:32 am

I heard that there was an Austrian group asking us to vote no. Thought there were only about 80 of them, they must be hard workers if they are going to write to us all.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lisbon and Neutrality   Lisbon and Neutrality - Page 6 EmptyTue May 13, 2008 12:40 am

Ibis, have you lost the plot altogether. Accept the fact that the Irish army are there to prevent Irish militants from attacking the state. What do you think they are there for.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lisbon and Neutrality   Lisbon and Neutrality - Page 6 EmptyTue May 13, 2008 12:43 am

youngdan wrote:
Ibis, have you lost the plot altogether. Accept the fact that the Irish army are there to prevent Irish militants from attacking the state. What do you think they are there for.

Why do we have a naval service then?

Have the Provos decamped to some Waterworld-style fortress in the mid-Atlantic?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lisbon and Neutrality   Lisbon and Neutrality - Page 6 EmptyTue May 13, 2008 12:49 am

So the army is there to protect against the Provos and their ilk. Why could ye not admit the obvious at the start of the discussion.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lisbon and Neutrality   Lisbon and Neutrality - Page 6 EmptyTue May 13, 2008 12:51 am

youngdan wrote:
So the army is there to protect against the Provos and their ilk. Why could ye not admit the obvious at the start of the discussion.

This isn't a discussion as I understand the meaning of the word.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lisbon and Neutrality   Lisbon and Neutrality - Page 6 EmptyTue May 13, 2008 12:53 am

youngdan wrote:

And isn't that important? We have democratic institutions to defend and we need armed forces as a last resort. I'm much more inclined to dealing with terrorists and enemies of the state through the courts, that way they don't turn into martyrs, but the steel of the armed forces should always be available to the Irish Government.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lisbon and Neutrality   Lisbon and Neutrality - Page 6 EmptyTue May 13, 2008 1:05 am

Get this.

Watch out - the next one will be looking for your bank details Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lisbon and Neutrality   Lisbon and Neutrality - Page 6 EmptyTue May 13, 2008 1:16 am

youngdan wrote:

I'm with seinfeld on this one. Of course the Irish army is partly there to defend the (elected) government. Should it not be? Is that its only purpose?

As to the question about guns - I think the parallel is absolutely obvious. Do you buy a gun to use it, or do you buy a gun hoping never to use it?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lisbon and Neutrality   Lisbon and Neutrality - Page 6 EmptyTue May 13, 2008 1:19 am

rendeer Bambi's mother is listening intently for the answer to this one.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lisbon and Neutrality   Lisbon and Neutrality - Page 6 EmptyTue May 13, 2008 1:21 am

Helium Three wrote:
Get this.

Watch out - the next one will be looking for your bank details Very Happy

Aye - it's pretty cheeky that they didn't offer you their deceased husband's life savings!
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: Lisbon and Neutrality   Lisbon and Neutrality - Page 6 EmptyTue May 13, 2008 2:47 am

Here's the letter:

I altered my surname a tad .... for security reasons of course.

Lisbon and Neutrality - Page 6 Lisbon10

Hope ye can read it. Squinting is allowed.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: Lisbon and Neutrality   Lisbon and Neutrality - Page 6 EmptyTue May 13, 2008 2:52 am

Bigger.

Lisbon and Neutrality - Page 6 Lisbon11
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lisbon and Neutrality   Lisbon and Neutrality - Page 6 EmptyTue May 13, 2008 3:09 am

Peculiar alright.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: Lisbon and Neutrality   Lisbon and Neutrality - Page 6 EmptyTue May 13, 2008 3:25 am

ibis wrote:
Peculiar alright.

ibis, sometimes you remind me of my father.

What you just said is almost exactly what he would say.

He would say ' That's peculiar' .
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lisbon and Neutrality   Lisbon and Neutrality - Page 6 EmptyTue May 13, 2008 3:38 am

ibis wrote:
Peculiar alright.

ibis, sometimes you remind me of my father.

What you just said is almost exactly what he would say.

He would say ' That's peculiar' .

For some reason I cannot for the life of me fathom, that's been a constant factor in my life since I was in my late teens.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: Lisbon and Neutrality   Lisbon and Neutrality - Page 6 EmptyTue May 13, 2008 3:50 am

Hmm.. I can only think of four possibilities here.

You are genuinely wise

You are perceived as wise

It's a big coincidence
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lisbon and Neutrality   Lisbon and Neutrality - Page 6 EmptyTue May 13, 2008 4:53 am

Hmm.. I can only think of four possibilities here.

You are genuinely wise

You are perceived as wise

It's a big coincidence

Have to go for the latter. No-one is wise when they're in their late teens. Well, except in a certain strawberries-on-the-cliff way.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lisbon and Neutrality   Lisbon and Neutrality - Page 6 EmptyTue May 13, 2008 5:06 am

The ugly truth is that the Irish Army is to protect the elected government and it's only realistic target are Irish rioters. The question about guns is easy. A law abiding citizen would buy a gun in the hope that he would never have to use it. A criminal buys a gun solely in the expectation that he will be using it in the commiting of a robbery or worse.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lisbon and Neutrality   Lisbon and Neutrality - Page 6 EmptyTue May 13, 2008 10:47 am

Kate P wrote:
Twice at Lisbon gigs I've heard Enda Kenny talk about what we'd be faced with if one million African men decided to come to Europe - how we'd cope from an immigration perspective, not how we'd defend ourselves against them.

really!

kate p you said you were a journalist who do you write for, still waiting to here about that new aprty and your inside track on libertas' thinking
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lisbon and Neutrality   Lisbon and Neutrality - Page 6 EmptyTue May 13, 2008 10:49 am

youngdan wrote:

so why use em against protestors?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lisbon and Neutrality   Lisbon and Neutrality - Page 6 EmptyTue May 13, 2008 1:52 pm

Here's the letter:

I altered my surname a tad .... for security reasons of course.

Lisbon and Neutrality - Page 6 Lisbon10

Hope ye can read it. Squinting is allowed.
Why, the man can't capitalise! 'irish', the cheek. Damned Continentals can't write properly.

Anyway, no sources for the poll, which could have been taken in a pub for all we know. I urge you not to give in to emotional blackmail. Mad as badgers, the lot of 'em.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lisbon and Neutrality   Lisbon and Neutrality - Page 6 EmptyTue May 13, 2008 6:20 pm

I do not have details of the Irish Army being used against the protestors but will try to look it up. They should not be used against protestors. 10000 of them could be decommissioned and 1000 would still be plenty.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lisbon and Neutrality   Lisbon and Neutrality - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

Lisbon and Neutrality
Page 6 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next