Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Full Moon Rising

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

Full Moon Rising - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Full Moon Rising   Full Moon Rising - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 10, 2008 10:24 pm

It's nearly a full moon again - the OP of this thread was on 12th Nov.

Anyone feel hair and teeth growing etc. or behaviour affected in any other way that's not usual ?

We could do a moon-madness meter here ! 1 is normal and 10 is they put you in an asylum for rage or something. Upto 4 might be more stressed than normal or a bit bothered by something; 5 is definitely starting with the anger and then 6 and beyond is increasing levels of tension, anger, bitterness, wrath or any other strong emotion.

That system above might not be very good as I'm definitely getting close to the 5 - mild irritation, mild confusion, unease and other bother so if you can suggest a Madness Meter please do. e.g. the higher the number gets the less you are able to center yourself in reality until at 10 you haven't a clue who you are with the utter outrage and someone has to turn up and shoot you with a silver bullet.

Full Moon Rising - Page 2 Moon
http://www.hao.ucar.edu/Public/education/bios/galileo.2.html
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Full Moon Rising   Full Moon Rising - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 10, 2008 10:30 pm

I had a dream about the moon the other night, must have been associated.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Full Moon Rising   Full Moon Rising - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 10, 2008 10:34 pm

johnfás wrote:
I had a dream about the moon the other night, must have been associated.

What was your dream Johnfás?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Full Moon Rising   Full Moon Rising - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 10, 2008 10:35 pm

Well see I had completely forgotten about it until I saw this thread, I rarely dream. It was something about being on the moon in a moon buggy... which was a sort of golf buggy type car. I was told I could only go so far around the moon, I couldn't go to the dark side. I went too far and woke up.

Sorry to disappoint if you were expecting a major adventure Razz. Do we have any dream interpretors?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Full Moon Rising   Full Moon Rising - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 10, 2008 10:36 pm

Did it look like this johnfas : ?

So what's it for you this month - Sea of Tranquility or Sea of Crises ?

Full Moon Rising - Page 2 Moon

Full Moon Rising - Page 2 Temp24
http://www.fourmilab.ch/earthview/lunarform/maria.html
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Full Moon Rising   Full Moon Rising - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 10, 2008 10:50 pm

johnfás wrote:
Well see I had completely forgotten about it until I saw this thread, I rarely dream. It was something about being on the moon in a moon buggy... which was a sort of golf buggy type car. I was told I could only go so far around the moon, I couldn't go to the dark side. I went too far and woke up.

Sorry to disappoint if you were expecting a major adventure Razz. Do we have any dream interpretors?

Darkside = subconscious/ higher self? Didn't want/weren't allowed to explore that side ! But you decided to "go to far" and ping! Your subconscious stopped you in your tracks, and returned you to waking consciousness!

How's that for psychobabble?!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Full Moon Rising   Full Moon Rising - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 10, 2008 10:53 pm

Tell me more... I'll pay you good money... Will I be rich? Will I be famous?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Full Moon Rising   Full Moon Rising - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 10, 2008 11:05 pm

johnfás wrote:
Tell me more... I'll pay you good money... Will I be rich? Will I be famous?

undoubtedly - what's your rep on P.ie.... !?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Full Moon Rising   Full Moon Rising - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 12, 2008 10:45 pm

Quote :
Earth set for full moon close-up

A full moon is set to occur closer to the Earth on Friday evening than it has done for the past 15 years.

The Moon's elliptical orbit means its distance from the Earth is not constant.

It will be a little over 350,000km away as it passes over the northern hemisphere, which is about 30,000km closer than usual.

If the sky is clear it will appear brighter and larger than usual, say astronomers.
It will appear largest as it rises and sets, but this is a psychological illusion, Dr Kukula said.

"When it's close to the horizon, our brain interprets it as being bigger than it actually is, this is called the moon illusion," he said.

"The size may be striking when it's near the horizon," said Robert Massey of the UK Royal Astronomical Society.

However, he cautioned against expecting too much.

"The Moon may be brighter and may appear somewhat larger, but it's really quite hard for the eye to notice the difference; the eye will compensate for the extra brightness, it's not like going from night to day," said Dr Massey.

Hope the Rain clears up before bedtime - it's miserable now

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7779294.stm
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Full Moon Rising   Full Moon Rising - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 10, 2009 1:50 pm

Remember that historic big near moon we had there recently ? Ahh..

It's fairly bright now too this time. Waxing gibbous 99% full according to the moon panel. Anyone with more hair on the forehead than normal, extra-sharp incisors perhaps ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Full Moon Rising   Full Moon Rising - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 10, 2009 1:56 pm

We had early morning visitors here and at 8am there was an enormous ugly blood-red gash across the sky - more livid and vivid than any I've ever seen.

I listened for apocalyptic theme music but heard none. That has to be a good sign.

The visitors said it was bright last night but I didn't notice - but I was up until nearly three playing the piano badly because I couldn't sleep. Can I blame the moon for that?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Full Moon Rising   Full Moon Rising - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 10, 2009 2:03 pm

Kate P wrote:
We had early morning visitors here and at 8am there was an enormous ugly blood-red gash across the sky - more livid and vivid than any I've ever seen.

I listened for apocalyptic theme music but heard none. That has to be a good sign.

The visitors said it was bright last night but I didn't notice - but I was up until nearly three playing the piano badly because I couldn't sleep. Can I blame the moon for that?

I heard you from here, Kate, and yes, I fully blame the moon for that. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Full Moon Rising   Full Moon Rising - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 10, 2009 2:12 pm

So you got the apocalyptic music and I got the bleeding sky.. affraid
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Full Moon Rising   Full Moon Rising - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 08, 2009 12:39 am

Do ye feel the tides rising in the brain and the body ye lunatics ??

Moon 97% full ....

Full Moon Rising - Page 2 Lg_Wolf_Moon_13
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Full Moon Rising   Full Moon Rising - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 08, 2009 1:22 am

What's the story with howling at the moon anyway ? Wolves don't do that in real life do they ? That's just vampire movies isn't it ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Full Moon Rising   Full Moon Rising - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 08, 2009 2:06 am

We had a dog who howled at the ice cream van - not barking but pure lupine howling.

My father always would say "maybe he wants a cone"

He used to always howl at fire engine sirens too, that dog.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Full Moon Rising   Full Moon Rising - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 08, 2009 2:49 am

The scary thing about the full moon stuff is that bizarrely it is true. Years ago a close friend worked in a call centre. She described a change in the type of calls they'd receive around full moons. She would get maybe 10 calls in the first hour at work normally. But suddenly one day she had call after call after call with barely two-three second between them. Normally maybe 5% would be from obnoxious people. Most people would be OK to talk to. But she found that well over half of her calls that day were from 'screamers' - she described one guy ringing up and starting the call with "turn my fucking gas on, you bitch. You cunts cut me off" - and there were tons of calls like that. Some of the staff by lunchtime just refused to take any more calls. She asked a longterm staffer what the hell was going on, and was told "it must be a full moon again" (said dead seriously). It was. She just thought it was a lot of nonsense and just an odd day.

When the next full moon occurred, the same thing happened - people screaming, cursing, being aggressive on the phones. At one time four people on her pod (staff were arranged in octagonal block desks) were in tears at all the abuse. No bills had gone out that day, nothing had happened to provoke a lot of irate customers to ring up and scream. But it was happened. She discovered that more experienced staff booked their holidays to make sure they were away from work on a full moon to avoid getting screamed at.

I was curious and as a writer did a newspaper article on the topic of does people's behaviour change at full moons. The results shocked me. The number of gardaí assaulted would shoot up when there was a full moon. Knife crime increased. Taxi men reported that the number of assaults and robberies would increase. (A lot of taxi men don't work on the days around a full moon saying that they found it too dangerous!) A&Es reported more fights and more attacks on their staff. Shelters two years running found that full moons were one of the times of the year where more spousal abuse took place. One doctor I interviewed said "I cannot explain it, but something seems different. I see the calmest people losing their tempers. My science background says the full moon story cannot be true. But then I see it in my own patients. Rows. Disputes. Tantrums. It always puzzles me."

I have no idea why something seems to happen, but nurses, guards, doctors, taxi men, call centre workers etc all say they notice a difference. One said that within half an hour of starting work he knows it is a full moon because people start behaving oddly. He'd then check the calendar, and find that, yes, it was a full moon. He described when he looked at the calendar and saw that it was a full moon his response would be "oh shit. Not again."

I know there was a scientific study being carried out into it. The moon does influence water movements on earth. Much of our bodies are made up of water. But scientists don't know how if the water is impacted on in our bodies, how that could affect mood. But something seems to happen. God knows why.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Full Moon Rising   Full Moon Rising - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 08, 2009 10:39 am

Light breaks where no sun shines;
Where no sea runs, the waters of the heart
Push in their tides;
And, broken ghosts with glowworms in their heads,
The things of light
File through the flesh where no flesh decks the bones.

A candle in the thighs
Warms youth and seed and burns the seeds of age;
Where no seed stirs,
The fruit of man unwrinkles in the stars,
Bright as a fig;
Where no wax is, the candle shows its hairs.

Dawn breaks behind the eyes;
From poles of skull and toe the windy blood
Slides like a sea;
Nor fenced, nor staked, the gushers of the sky
Spout to the rod
Divining in a smile the oil of tears.

Night in the sockets rounds,
Like some pitch moon, the limit of the globes;
Day lights the bone;
Where no cold is, the skinning gales unpin
The winter's robes;
The film of spring is hanging from the lids.

Light breaks on secret lots,
On tips of thought where thoughts smell in the rain;
When logics die,
The secret of the soil grows through the eye,
And blood jumps in the sun;
Above the waste allotments the dawn halts.

Dylan Thomas
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Full Moon Rising   Full Moon Rising - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 08, 2009 10:57 am

I read somewhere that some Japanese industries organise their employees shifts around phases or the moon or biorhythm cycles. If people get under the influence of the moon, can't they recognise that they are under its influence or are some not affected, if anyone is, or some affected sometimes and only under certain conditions... ?

How many of the people in the octagonal pod in Papal's example were themselves subject to moon-fever, if any?

Anyway, four coastal tides per day, two high two low - as far as the power of the moon goes I don't understand why we're not blocking up the Shannon with a 5GW tidal power station and to hell with the ESB.

From an article in a Japanese newspaper
http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/fe20000920mb.html

The light that the moon reflects is but one of its ways of affecting life here on earth. Its most significant means of influence is by driving the tides that ebb and flow across the world's oceans, turning mudflats into shallow seas, covering coral reefs, flooding mangroves, forging up rivers in tidal bores, sweeping beaches clean, scouring channels, sucking, pulling, driving, swirling.

Invisible grasping fingers of gravity from the moon and the sun cause whole oceans to bulge, only matched by the bulge resulting from the Earth's own spin. As the world spins round, these bulges raise tides; two highs and two lows, which rise and fall against the shores of the world every 24 hours.

At the full and new moons, the tides are highest, swamping even the highest of salt marshes. These are the spring tides and they are to be feared when backed by storms from offshore, for then they can bring severe flooding, and when the sun and moon are exactly aligned at the vernal and autumnal equinoxes the greatest spring tides of the year occur.

Between the spring tides, when the moon is in the first and third quarters, fall the lowest tides, known as neap tides, an ancient Anglo-Saxon word.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Full Moon Rising   Full Moon Rising - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 09, 2009 4:05 am

Lovely moon tonight. Together with the snow, clear skies, vivid stars. Shame I was collapsing in a field, chasing lambing sheep for ages. I had to rub snow into my hair to cool me down.

It's hard going, being a werewolf. You really need the legs for it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Full Moon Rising   Full Moon Rising - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Full Moon Rising
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2