Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Voter Participation - Reform of Elections in Ireland

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Voter Participation - Reform of Elections in Ireland Empty
PostSubject: Voter Participation - Reform of Elections in Ireland   Voter Participation - Reform of Elections in Ireland EmptyWed Nov 05, 2008 12:22 am

The US election is exciting to watch, with the possibility of 80% or more voting, and huge visible effort of phone calls, lifts and early voting going. In the last General Election in Ireland 67% of voters turned out to vote.

There's a huge amount of focus on who gets voted in, but very little on who does the voting.

Is it acceptable that one third of eligible voters in Ireland do not vote in General Elections? Is it acceptable that some people paying tax and raising their children here are not allowed to vote?

Why don't more of us vote in Ireland?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Voter Participation - Reform of Elections in Ireland   Voter Participation - Reform of Elections in Ireland EmptyWed Nov 05, 2008 12:37 am

Anyone in the States who has been in prison loses their right to vote - to me that's a damning indictment of the greatest (ahem) democracy (ahem ahem) in the world.

I think a lot of newcomers can vote if they are registered. Isn't there a movement (heard it on the radio this morning) encouraging African Irish to register and vote?

Is it acceptable that 1/3 do not exercise their right to vote? We don't have an obligation here to vote - unlike many other jurisdictions. In that sense, it's probably more fair to ask, 'is it acceptable that we might force 1/3 of people who normally don't vote, to vote?'

I'd like to see greater voter education rather than a broad-sweeping push to force everyone to vote - not that you're suggesting that cf...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Voter Participation - Reform of Elections in Ireland   Voter Participation - Reform of Elections in Ireland EmptyWed Nov 05, 2008 12:45 am

Kate P wrote:
Anyone in the States who has been in prison loses their right to vote - to me that's a damning indictment of the greatest (ahem) democracy (ahem ahem) in the world.

I think a lot of newcomers can vote if they are registered. Isn't there a movement (heard it on the radio this morning) encouraging African Irish to register and vote?

Is it acceptable that 1/3 do not exercise their right to vote? We don't have an obligation here to vote - unlike many other jurisdictions. In that sense, it's probably more fair to ask, 'is it acceptable that we might force 1/3 of people who normally don't vote, to vote?'

I'd like to see greater voter education rather than a broad-sweeping push to force everyone to vote - not that you're suggesting that cf...

The question came up on the site recently whether it should be obligatory to vote. I haven't suggested that. I'd like to see a situation in which everyone over 18 wants to vote and can vote. People who have immigrated can vote and stand for election in local elections ( and have done so ) but are not allowed to vote in General Elections or Referenda.

I'd be in favour of anyone paying tax here and with a resident address having a vote. Do citizens who are non-resident for tax purposes have a vote here, does anyone know?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Voter Participation - Reform of Elections in Ireland   Voter Participation - Reform of Elections in Ireland Empty

Back to top Go down

Voter Participation - Reform of Elections in Ireland
Page 1 of 1