Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Linus says US politics is ugly

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Linus says US politics is ugly Empty
PostSubject: Linus says US politics is ugly   Linus says US politics is ugly EmptyMon Nov 03, 2008 3:55 pm

Good blog post here from every nerd's hero, Linus Torvalds.

Linus says, as a Finn living in the US, he hates election season there. And that the US system has a "design flaw", which is deliberately polarising.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Linus says US politics is ugly   Linus says US politics is ugly EmptyMon Nov 03, 2008 4:40 pm

In my experience the Finns are usually worth listening to in political matters, though in this I'm not sure if I agree with Linus. Certainly I dont want some kind of cozy political consensus as we have in the EU and the EP, which only serves to open up divisions between the citziens and the politicians.

Should we have party politics at all? Is it and efficient mechanism for carrying out the will of the people. I would look at the deign goals before identifying the design flaws. But it begs the question as to what the actual goals are. Perhaps Linus has done that and its only his goals are different to mine.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Linus says US politics is ugly   Linus says US politics is ugly EmptyWed Nov 05, 2008 9:53 pm

Good point by the Times this morning. We all here know Ron Paul but many Americans thought there was only Obama and McCain. I didn't realise Nader was running either until I saw he got no votes in Dixville.

The youtubist below - "vision victory" - and many others like him (manoftruth) are probably Ron Paul supporters but they tend, along with the likes of Alex Jones (thealexjoneschannel), to rail against the bi-party system too and urge people to at least consider if not vote for a third option in order to try to break the pattern.

I wonder if we'll see more of this type of thing in subsequent campaigns and even a potential break of the duopoly that exists currently.

-- Link --