Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Between the ears with cookiemonster

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

Between the ears with cookiemonster Empty
PostSubject: Between the ears with cookiemonster   Between the ears with cookiemonster EmptySun Mar 30, 2008 12:23 am

Less disappointment in this thread title than the other one.
The other option was "Here be Music".

Anyway...

This evening I have been listening to Iorn and Wine - The Shephards Dog.

It's got a Ray Lamontagne feel about it with a hint of a funky vibe.

Also a great version of The Killers Sams Town, abbey road remix.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Between the ears with cookiemonster   Between the ears with cookiemonster EmptySun Mar 30, 2008 12:36 am

Any links?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Between the ears with cookiemonster   Between the ears with cookiemonster EmptySun Mar 30, 2008 12:41 am

http://www.myspace.com/ironandwine

Boy with a coin is down the bottom of the list, worth a listen.

I also notice they're playing with my beloved Explosions in the Sky in may!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Between the ears with cookiemonster   Between the ears with cookiemonster EmptySun Mar 30, 2008 12:56 am

Also got Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds - Dig,Lazarus,Dig. 
Just listening now but not paying that much attention.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Between the ears with cookiemonster   Between the ears with cookiemonster EmptySun Mar 30, 2008 8:56 pm

Here's a review of the Iron & Wine album by my favourite site Pitchfock Media.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Between the ears with cookiemonster   Between the ears with cookiemonster EmptyMon Mar 31, 2008 12:04 am

I have no idea whatsoever what this thread is about.
So I'm leaving. Byeeeee
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Between the ears with cookiemonster   Between the ears with cookiemonster EmptyTue Apr 08, 2008 1:18 am

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Between the ears with cookiemonster   Between the ears with cookiemonster EmptySat Apr 12, 2008 12:35 am

I've been having the most relaxing afternoon. I left work early (half an hour after I was due to leave) and slowly made my way home listening to the most wonderful album ever, Antonio Carlos Jobim and the Brazilian Tropical Orchestra.
I couldn't help but sashay my way though the crowds with ease.

Then when I got home I wound down a bit with what is without doubt a chef d'oeuvre of cool jazz, Miles Davis and Kind of Blue. Wonderful stuff.

For your consideration.

And also the splendid Miles Davis
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Between the ears with cookiemonster   Between the ears with cookiemonster EmptyThu May 15, 2008 12:12 am

I have in my posession a copy of REM's Accelerate. 
I'm not impressed. Sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Between the ears with cookiemonster   Between the ears with cookiemonster EmptyThu May 15, 2008 1:19 am

Nice song for the evening that's in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMaWkAmhp3Q

Ignore the awful picture sequence!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Between the ears with cookiemonster   Between the ears with cookiemonster EmptyThu May 15, 2008 1:53 am

unaligned wrote:
Nice song for the evening that's in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMaWkAmhp3Q

Ignore the awful picture sequence!
Sounds familiar. Anyone know how to make an awful picture sequence like that?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Between the ears with cookiemonster   Between the ears with cookiemonster EmptyThu May 15, 2008 3:13 am

Have the spent the last 2 nights doing a favour for the my techophobe Durannie of a cousin - transferring her entire Duran Duran collection from vinyl and cd to her ipod before she takes off to see her heroes play somewhere in the states next week.

Jaysus - its been a hell of a trip - down memory lane, into some terrible cul de sacs and actually some completely undisovered absolute gems which will going on my ipod pronto too.

Duran Duran - Edos review

1st album - Duran Duran - "Planet Earth" "Girls on Film" - buy it,steal it,copy it -get it - great album - especially side 2 which is much darker - absolutely adore "Waiting for the Nighboat","Friends of mine" and the wonderful "Tel Aviv"(Coldplay before they were born) - the 12inch version of Girls on Film is quite brilliant too.

2nd Album - Rio - bit of a mixed bag IMO - not crazy about the ole standards "Rio, Hungry like the Wolf" , Like "save a prayer" for sentimental reasons - got me first snog ever at the school disco to it! - What I did like off this were the "Album tracks" - Lonely in your nightmare, the mental "hold back the rain" and the weird and wonderful "Chauffeur"

3nd Ablum - Seven and the Ragged Tiger - shite name - shite album - except for the oddly catchy "New Moon on Monday" , another great instrumental " Tiger Tiger" - they should tell Le Bon to put a sock in it more often - the Keyboards player Rhodes is the main man in this band and this "B" side from one of the singles -cant remember which -"Secret Ocktober" - strangely wonderful.

4th Album - Arena - great work on the video and ablum artwork - live album - enough said - pass the bucket

5th Album - Notorious - love the title track,"Skin Trade" and "American Science" -All the funky stuff with the God that is Nile Rodgers doing his stuff on it - the rest of it is a bit hit and miss and I can see why it bombed - pretty dark stuff , suicide,drugs,depression - I can see why the teenies ran a mile.

6th Album - Big Thing - this is strange bag of cats alright - inconsistent but strangely compelling - love "All she wants is" "Too late Marlene" " Do you believe in Shame" and a mad medley at the end "The Edge of America/lakeshore driving" - way way ahead of its time if you compare it with the rest of the late 80s charts - but radiohead would give their left testicles for the above tracks.

7th album - Liberty - all over the place - mostly US radio friendly fluff - disappointing after the experimentation on the previous album - with one exception of "My Antartica" - which is beautiful - skip the rest.

8th album - The wedding album - I had forgotten just how good "Ordinary world" and "come undone" were ,or are - great songs - of the rest - I like "Breath after Breath" with Brazilian legend Nelson Nascimento and "Too much information" is not bad either - the rest is just filler.

9th Album - Thank you - W.T.F were they thinking? - too much drugs me thinks - its is terrible with the shining exception of Lou Reeds "Perfect Day" which is quite brilliant - even better than the Velvet Undergrounds orginal ,if that isn't total sacriledge.

10th Album - Medezzaland - This is the one little treasure I found on this marathon session - I think it was probably their least successful album ever -never heard of it before now - then again I switched off the radio for most of the nineties - the most godawfully boring decade in the history of popular music - but I think this is quite brilliant and gets better on every play - totally experimental and sounds like they put Le Bon down a dark hole and got him to sing from there - sensible chaps.

11th album - Pop Trash - the title says it all - really really tired 3rd rate Beatly rip-off - still there are a few nice ones - "Lady Xanax", "Playing with Uranium" and "Halloecinating Elvis" will go on my Ipod no problem.

12th Album - Astronaut - Less experimental and a hell of a lot more radio friendly - pleasant album that you can probably dance to, if unlike me you can actually dance - I resemble an out of control Kango hammer at the best of times - I do like the last 2 tracks "Point of no return" and " Still Breathing" - they can really write great songs when they put their minds to it.

13th Album - Red Carpet Massacre - only finished "Transferring"this one in the last hour or so - will have to give it another spin - but its interesting - very hip - Timbaland and his protoge Nate "Danja" Hills on the production desk makes it very sleek and shiny sounding - First impressions - "The Valley" great basswork from JT, the totally mental but strangely addictive title track and the standout for me so far " Skindivers" - very funky and dancy and something you can play - dance music for people who dont like to dance.

Thank god thats it - all in all a very interesting musical odyssey - the mad,bad, the bloody terrible ,yet lot of moments of total genius - fair fecks to the lads for still making new stuff after 25 years on the go while the rest of their contemporaries are on Celebrity Z list playing Butlins.

Next weeks Review - Red Hurley - from Clare to here - with no stops in Urlingford for a pee.

Nite all

Last edited by Edo on Thu May 15, 2008 3:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Between the ears with cookiemonster   Between the ears with cookiemonster EmptyThu May 15, 2008 3:18 am

Listening to the Shepherd's Dog as well, it's savage. Iron and Wine played the Savoy last friday but had a party to attend - got to see Andy McKee last wednesday alright though Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Between the ears with cookiemonster   Between the ears with cookiemonster EmptyThu May 15, 2008 1:35 pm

Edo, that was truly heroic of you! Looked down on Durannies when I was an insufferable student, but I might look up some of those songs.

Anyway, the luminous Martha Wainwright has a new album out this week. Listening to the extracts on the website is helping me through the day today -

http://iknowyouremarried.com/

Looking forward to the concert next week.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Between the ears with cookiemonster   Between the ears with cookiemonster EmptyThu May 15, 2008 8:50 pm

Interesting fact I learnd from my anesthetist, Duran Duran's album Medazzaland was inspired after the lead singer was dosed up on an anesthetic drug called midazolam. It makes you a bit trippy afterwards.
I had the pleasure of experiencing the effects of said drug twice and it truly is wonderful stuff! Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Between the ears with cookiemonster   Between the ears with cookiemonster EmptyThu May 15, 2008 9:26 pm

cookiemonster wrote:
Interesting fact I learnd from my anesthetist, Duran Duran's album Medazzaland was inspired after the lead singer was dosed up on an anesthetic drug called midazolam. It makes you a bit trippy afterwards.
I had the pleasure of experiencing the effects of said drug twice and it truly is wonderful stuff! Very Happy

thanks for the info CM - that explains it - I thought it was about going under the knife in some way - seriously seriously trippy song a la John Lennons "Tommorrow never comes" off Revolver - kinda sounds like wondering around inside a Salvador Dali painting if that doesnt sound too pretentious!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Between the ears with cookiemonster   Between the ears with cookiemonster EmptySat Jun 07, 2008 12:32 am

So, with thanks to my fantastic Mentos and Diet coke discovery I happened upon a group called Audiobody, who I'd never heard of before.

But they are FANTASTIC.

Throw an ear over here...http://www.myspace.com/audiobody
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Between the ears with cookiemonster   Between the ears with cookiemonster EmptySat Jul 05, 2008 6:41 pm

So more music, great summer song from these guys last year (which isn't on their myspace site - but I'll keep looking for you). They've done it again this year and I forgot all about them until I heard them again. Another musical gem from Sweden... Air France.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Between the ears with cookiemonster   Between the ears with cookiemonster EmptySat Jul 05, 2008 6:44 pm

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Between the ears with cookiemonster   Between the ears with cookiemonster EmptySat Jul 05, 2008 7:43 pm

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Between the ears with cookiemonster   Between the ears with cookiemonster EmptySun Jul 13, 2008 1:14 am

And some lucky souls (well the smart ones) will be listening to these guys at Oxegen this evening...Holy Fuck Lovley Allen is worth a listen. 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Between the ears with cookiemonster   Between the ears with cookiemonster EmptyMon Jul 14, 2008 12:49 am

I might just start a blog for the attention this thread gets. 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Between the ears with cookiemonster   Between the ears with cookiemonster EmptyMon Jul 14, 2008 12:54 am

cookiemonster wrote:
I might just start a blog for the attention this thread gets. 

Well it kind of is one, isn't it? You and arnaudherve are both very good to share your music with us.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Between the ears with cookiemonster   Between the ears with cookiemonster EmptyMon Jul 14, 2008 11:56 pm

Well I'm happy with what I've got between the ears. I scored 160 points on University Challenge, and that's with Jeremy Paxman pronouncing Cuchulainn very French-like as Cooshullayn. Yay!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Between the ears with cookiemonster   Between the ears with cookiemonster EmptyMon Jul 14, 2008 11:59 pm

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
Well I'm happy with what I've got between the ears. I scored 160 points on University Challenge, and that's with Jeremy Paxman pronouncing Cuchulainn very French-like as Cooshullayn. Yay!
Take it outside, brainboy! 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Between the ears with cookiemonster   Between the ears with cookiemonster Empty

Back to top Go down

Between the ears with cookiemonster
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next