Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet


Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton
 
PortalPortal  HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Share | 
 

 European Parliament Live and Dail TV - the Medical Card Debate Live Now

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: European Parliament Live and Dail TV - the Medical Card Debate Live Now   Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:55 pm

We now have live Dail TV available on the Latest Discussion Page. If anyone wants to comment/heckle on a debate, just open Machine Nation in a second window and start a Dail Debates thread.

Here is this week's Dail schedule - Budget debate resumes on Wednesday. http://www.oireachtas.ie/viewdoc.asp?DocID=10135&&CatID=60

The European Parliament webstream won't display on the Page, but there is a link just below the Dail TV screen.

I'm posting this thread with this week's EP schedule and a link to the live coverage.

LINK to live webstream (Windows Media Player Only)

Today's Agenda - Plenary Session

17:00 - 23:00

Resumption of part-session and order of business

One-minute speeches (Rule 144)

II Temporary work - Recommendation for second reading - Report by Harlem DÉSIR (PES, FR)

Applicable law in matrimonial matters - Joint debate

Applicable law in matrimonial matters - Report by Evelyne GEBHARDT (PES, DE)

Amendment of regulation on competence and establishing rules on the law applicable in matrimonial matters - Oral question to the Commission

PNR data, aviation security - Joint debate

Evaluation of the Australia-EU PNR agreement - Report by Sophia IN ´T VELD (ALDE, NL)

EU and PNR data - Oral question to the CommissionI

Erasmus Mundus programme (2009-2013) - Debate on report by Marielle DE SARNEZ (ALDE, FR)

Protecting children using the Internet and other communication technologies - Debate on report by Roberta ANGELILLI (UEN, IT)

Recovery of cod stocks - Debate on report by Niels BUSK (ALDE, DK)

Management of fishing fleets registered in the Community outermost regions - Debate on report by Pedro GUERREIRO (GUE/NGL, PT)

Brief presentation of own-initiative reports

Building a Global Climate Change Alliance between the European Union and poor developing countries most vulnerable to climate change - Andres WIJKMAN (EPP-ED, SE)

Governance and partnership at a national, regional and project basis in the field of regional policy - Jean Marie BEAUPUY (ALDE, FR)

Better lawmaking 2006 pursuant to Article 9 of the Protocol on the application of the principles of subsidiarity and proportionality - Report by Manuel MEDINA ORTEGA (PES, ES)

24th Annual Report from the Commission on monitoring the application of Community law - Report by Lidia Joanna GERINGER DE OEDENBERG (PES, PL)

Strategy for the future settlement of the institutional aspects of Regulatory Agencies - Report by Georgios PAPASTAMKOS (EPP-ED, EL)

TimeZone : Europe/Paris. (= GMT+2)

LINK TO THIS WEEK'S AGENDA


Cheers cheers


Last edited by cactus flower on Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:31 pm; edited 7 times in total (Reason for editing : to add agenda)
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: European Parliament Live and Dail TV - the Medical Card Debate Live Now   Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:02 pm

Why?
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: European Parliament Live and Dail TV - the Medical Card Debate Live Now   Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:06 pm

Quote :
Why?

So we can keep our eyes on them. Suspect

I am just going to post the agenda on the OP: much more interesting than the schedule.

I made a personal comittment at the time of the Lisbon Referendum campaign never again to tolerate my own ignorance of what was going on in the EU. We should have the Council too imo - not sure yet if live webstream is available. If you are not interested, you could ignore it, but you are one of the most internationally aware posters I know, so it would be a surprise to me.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: European Parliament Live and Dail TV - the Medical Card Debate Live Now   Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:10 pm

Oh I see the forest, not the trees. Details are for more discerning minds like Ibis'.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: European Parliament Live and Dail TV - the Medical Card Debate Live Now   Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:27 pm

905 wrote:
Oh I see the forest, not the trees. Details are for more discerning minds like Ibis'.

Fair do's - we'll keep you posted if any forests start to sprout.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: European Parliament Live and Dail TV - the Medical Card Debate Live Now   Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:01 pm

905 wrote:
Oh I see the forest, not the trees. Details are for more discerning minds like Ibis'.

I've walked around that sentence a couple of times now, and I still can't work out whether I should take it as an insult, a compliment, both, or neither. I salute you!
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: European Parliament Live and Dail TV - the Medical Card Debate Live Now   Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:03 pm

ibis wrote:
905 wrote:
Oh I see the forest, not the trees. Details are for more discerning minds like Ibis'.

I've walked around that sentence a couple of times now, and I still can't work out whether I should take it as an insult, a compliment, both, or neither. I salute you!

905 - a born diplomat I fear. If he is doing anything else, its a loss to the service.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: European Parliament Live and Dail TV - the Medical Card Debate Live Now   Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:05 pm

cactus flower wrote:
We should have the Council too imo - not sure yet if live webstream is available.

Council meets in camera.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
avatar

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: European Parliament Live and Dail TV - the Medical Card Debate Live Now   Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:09 pm

johnfás wrote:
cactus flower wrote:
We should have the Council too imo - not sure yet if live webstream is available.

Council meets in camera.

DCC stream their meetings don't they ?


EDIT - sorry johnfás , didn't realise you were referring to Eu Council meetings. Half asleep me.


Last edited by EvotingMachine0197 on Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: European Parliament Live and Dail TV - the Medical Card Debate Live Now   Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:11 pm

EvotingMachine0197 wrote:
johnfás wrote:
cactus flower wrote:
We should have the Council too imo - not sure yet if live webstream is available.

Council meets in camera.

DCC stream their meetings don't they ?

I saw or heard Mary Harney chairing Council, can't remember which. It was shocking. It certainly needs to be heard. It would be worth checking out again.

Lets drag them all out into the open air flower
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: European Parliament Live and Dail TV - the Medical Card Debate Live Now   Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:33 pm

cactus flower wrote:
EvotingMachine0197 wrote:
johnfás wrote:
cactus flower wrote:
We should have the Council too imo - not sure yet if live webstream is available.

Council meets in camera.

DCC stream their meetings don't they ?

I saw or heard Mary Harney chairing Council, can't remember which. It was shocking. It certainly needs to be heard. It would be worth checking out again.

Lets drag them all out into the open air flower

Live is OK, but I want searchable transcripts.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: European Parliament Live and Dail TV - the Medical Card Debate Live Now   Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:40 pm

ibis wrote:
cactus flower wrote:
EvotingMachine0197 wrote:
johnfás wrote:
cactus flower wrote:
We should have the Council too imo - not sure yet if live webstream is available.

Council meets in camera.

DCC stream their meetings don't they ?

I saw or heard Mary Harney chairing Council, can't remember which. It was shocking. It certainly needs to be heard. It would be worth checking out again.

Lets drag them all out into the open air flower

Live is OK, but I want searchable transcripts.

There's not a lot of fun to be had from throwing tomatoes at a searchable transcript Mad
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: European Parliament Live and Dail TV - the Medical Card Debate Live Now   Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:48 pm

cactus flower wrote:
ibis wrote:
cactus flower wrote:
EvotingMachine0197 wrote:
johnfás wrote:
cactus flower wrote:
We should have the Council too imo - not sure yet if live webstream is available.

Council meets in camera.

DCC stream their meetings don't they ?

I saw or heard Mary Harney chairing Council, can't remember which. It was shocking. It certainly needs to be heard. It would be worth checking out again.

Lets drag them all out into the open air flower

Live is OK, but I want searchable transcripts.

There's not a lot of fun to be had from throwing tomatoes at a searchable transcript Mad

No, but there's a lot of fun to be had out of being able to quote mine them. If you build a good enough database out of them, you can, at a moment' notice, pull up an example of a politician saying the opposite of whatever they're currently claiming (more or less any politician). You can't do that with video.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: European Parliament Live and Dail TV - the Medical Card Debate Live Now   Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:06 pm

I always find it interesting to hear journalists quote back to councillors or TDs etc what they said during a meeting and listen to them squirm as they defend themselves outside the council chamber - or not. I heard one town councillor lately criticise his council for having in-camera meetings and then have a job explaining to a journo why at the same meeting he didn't object to a specific in-camera meeting which was proposed and passed at that same meeting.

Thanks for the above, cactus.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: European Parliament Live and Dail TV - the Medical Card Debate Live Now   Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:15 pm

Ibis, the Oireachtas site I think now has a complete record of all debates and also the recordings, so if the transcript isn't great, they can be checked. The EP site is not anything like as good, but I think they are trying to improve what they are doing. Do you know if the Council is still in Camera - and if transcripts are available?
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: European Parliament Live and Dail TV - the Medical Card Debate Live Now   Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:29 pm

They're off - the link is in the first post.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: European Parliament Live and Dail TV - the Medical Card Debate Live Now   Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:34 pm

cactus flower wrote:
They're off - the link is in the first post.

Mine's not working yet. What's happening now. Is it good. What colour is the carpet.

Windows MediaPlayer is a little hegemonic demon not daemon at times eh?
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: European Parliament Live and Dail TV - the Medical Card Debate Live Now   Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:37 pm

Grey carpet, blue chairs. Like the Dail, lots of them are empty. Don't see many of our lads. Where's Dana? they are talking about matrimonial law and children.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: European Parliament Live and Dail TV - the Medical Card Debate Live Now   Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:57 pm

Sophie I't Veld is ripping into the Council for not being at the EP to answer questions - she says not in the spirit of the Lisbon Treaty - not transparent.

She is also ripping into the proposal for PNR.

This is about intelligence to be used in criminal and terrorist investigations. The Commission has not given an evidence of its claims that this data is of use against terrorism.
(What the heck is PNR?) The US PNR surveillance not proven useful. Its about risk profiles of terrorists and is about collecting credit card and telephone no. data. PNR she says is of no use to identify high risk people. There already powers in different countries but at present they need a warrant. No answer as to why a change is needed.

Automated PNR can be used re illegal immigration and drug trafficking not terrorism.
Commission and the Council are proposing mass collection and storage of PNR data.

If you read the small print of the EU/US and EU/US PNR it refers to much more -public health, immigration and so on. This is a Third Pillar Instrument - peace and justice in EU - not other countries -arguing if we give data to other countries we will benefit?

Still waiting for evidence that this is any use against terrorism.

A PNR agreement has already been made with Australia for the next seven years.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: European Parliament Live and Dail TV - the Medical Card Debate Live Now   Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:02 pm

It's working now for me, God bless it. These people are announced at the beginning are they? Me watching this is like my girlfriend watching Questions and Answers.

Is PNR "passenger name record" ? Airline data.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passenger_Name_Record
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: European Parliament Live and Dail TV - the Medical Card Debate Live Now   Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:15 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
It's working now for me, God bless it. These people are announced at the beginning are they? Me watching this is like my girlfriend watching Questions and Answers.

Is PNR "passenger name record" ? Airline data.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passenger_Name_Record
Big Brother or Wot Shocked

Thanks -it seems to be passport no, phone no. credit card and so on. On the right of the screen it tells you who the speaker is.

I wouldn't be watching this every night, but its very interesting to see what they are talking about. Also the friction between Parliament and Council - is that real do you think? The first item they had no competence on. The second item the Council didn't show up. "The proposal will be examined by most national parliaments".
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: European Parliament Live and Dail TV - the Medical Card Debate Live Now   Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:39 pm

Can the cheap dubbing be switched off ? The reception is really not that bad - maybe we're the only two watching it cactus.

The english-speaking dutch ? chick was the best so far - she was very animated about the absence of the Commission. Do you know is the Commission President supposed to be there or what.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: European Parliament Live and Dail TV - the Medical Card Debate Live Now   Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:51 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
Can the cheap dubbing be switched off ? The reception is really not that bad - maybe we're the only two watching it cactus.

The english-speaking dutch ? chick was the best so far - she was very animated about the absence of the Commission. Do you know is the Commission President supposed to be there or what.

Didn't someone say that they don't have to come on Monday's ? Sorry Ibis, I will give this a longer try, but the first impression is iffy.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: European Parliament Live and Dail TV - the Medical Card Debate Live Now   Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:01 pm

cactus flower wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:
It's working now for me, God bless it. These people are announced at the beginning are they? Me watching this is like my girlfriend watching Questions and Answers.

Is PNR "passenger name record" ? Airline data.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passenger_Name_Record
Big Brother or Wot Shocked

Thanks -it seems to be passport no, phone no. credit card and so on. On the right of the screen it tells you who the speaker is.

I wouldn't be watching this every night, but its very interesting to see what they are talking about. Also the friction between Parliament and Council - is that real do you think? The first item they had no competence on. The second item the Council didn't show up. "The proposal will be examined by most national parliaments".

The friction between the Council and the Parliament is quite real, fortunately. The Council represents the governments of the member states, but the EP doesn't. Even though most member states elect MEPs from their national parties, the MEPs representative of each national government are always in a tiny minority.

Yes, the Council meets in camera, and votes in camera. Even under Lisbon, only the voting would be in public.

I'm aware of the Oireachtas debate transcripts. The EP ones are here. Unfortunately, like the OIreachtas ones, they're primarily organised by date.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: European Parliament Live and Dail TV - the Medical Card Debate Live Now   Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:02 pm

cactus flower wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:
Can the cheap dubbing be switched off ? The reception is really not that bad - maybe we're the only two watching it cactus.

The english-speaking dutch ? chick was the best so far - she was very animated about the absence of the Commission. Do you know is the Commission President supposed to be there or what.

Didn't someone say that they don't have to come on Monday's ? Sorry Ibis, I will give this a longer try, but the first impression is iffy.

Why me?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: European Parliament Live and Dail TV - the Medical Card Debate Live Now   

Back to top Go down
 
European Parliament Live and Dail TV - the Medical Card Debate Live Now
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Parliament Decides to amend the "national card" after the rejection of the infallible passed
» Swami vivekanantha, in World parliament of Religion , America chicaco , 1893
» Live streaming of Marikina public bidding on Internet set
» Kurdistan Parliament was investigating the reasons for not activating the Fund to support families of the martyrs in the region 09/12/2011 12:55
» 32 element of the protection Hashimi accused of bombing Parliament

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Machine Nation  :: Politics and Current News :: The Open Europe Forum-
Jump to: