Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet


Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton
 
PortalPortal  HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Share | 
 

 Ireland - Worse than Romania?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Ireland - Worse than Romania?   Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:55 pm

If this report, seen on p.ie, on living standards and quality is to be believed, Ireland is a worse place to live than Romania.

http://www.il-ireland.com/il/qofl2008/

There are a lot of other countries placed above Ireland where I would not particularly care to live. Having said that, the 0 for cost of living seems to be a misprint. Mind you, so does the 85 for Health. Interesting reading nonetheless. As I have a personal interest in Switzerland, I was intrigued to see that the 100 for Economy was the only maximum awarded in this category.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Ireland - Worse than Romania?   Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:31 pm

Slim Buddha wrote:
If this report, seen on p.ie, on living standards and quality is to be believed, Ireland is a worse place to live than Romania.

http://www.il-ireland.com/il/qofl2008/

There are a lot of other countries placed above Ireland where I would not particularly care to live. Having said that, the 0 for cost of living seems to be a misprint. Mind you, so does the 85 for Health. Interesting reading nonetheless. As I have a personal interest in Switzerland, I was intrigued to see that the 100 for Economy was the only maximum awarded in this category.

I took a look at this too. We were top in Freedom, whatever that means. The zero seems to tally with other reports suggesting that Ireland has the highest cost of living in Europe. Food, for example, is about 30% more expensive than the UK.

Tax cuts, wage increases, shipping costs and our small scale presumably account for a lot of it.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Ireland - Worse than Romania?   Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:56 pm

cactus flower wrote:
Slim Buddha wrote:
If this report, seen on p.ie, on living standards and quality is to be believed, Ireland is a worse place to live than Romania.

http://www.il-ireland.com/il/qofl2008/

There are a lot of other countries placed above Ireland where I would not particularly care to live. Having said that, the 0 for cost of living seems to be a misprint. Mind you, so does the 85 for Health. Interesting reading nonetheless. As I have a personal interest in Switzerland, I was intrigued to see that the 100 for Economy was the only maximum awarded in this category.

I took a look at this too. We were top in Freedom, whatever that means. The zero seems to tally with other reports suggesting that Ireland has the highest cost of living in Europe. Food, for example, is about 30% more expensive than the UK.

Tax cuts, wage increases, shipping costs and our small scale presumably account for a lot of it.

I think the 67 for Economy and 57 for Infrastructure are a damning indictment of the 11 years of FF/PD rule. An unprecedented boom, unlikely to ever becoming near to repeated, was wasted. These two figures should be much higher. Everything was geared towards the economy, or so we were told. And the figure of 67 is poor by any yardstick.

It makes for very discouraging reading.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Ireland - Worse than Romania?   Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:33 pm

To the best of my memory, Ireland was coming at or near the top of this type of table in the early 2000s? The cost of living score is knocking us way out of kilter and needs to be dealt with immediately.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Ireland - Worse than Romania?   Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:32 pm

i'd reckon we'd lose to romania. the italia 90 team were class and there's no way we;d be able to make the world cup finals never mind the knockout stages with our current team. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Ireland - Worse than Romania?   Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:18 pm

AIDS-ridden, criminal and unequal South Africa is a better place in which to live than Ireland, come on. This list is total nonsense.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Ireland - Worse than Romania?   Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:22 pm

The UN's Human Development Index and the EIU's Quality of Life Index and global happiness surveys are far better indicators than this rubbish survey.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Ireland - Worse than Romania?   Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:26 pm

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
The UN's Human Development Index and the EIU's Quality of Life Index and global happiness surveys are far better indicators than this rubbish survey.

I have to agree with you that there is not a lot of sense on weighting down a State with a perhaps marginally higher cost of living than the european mean by 100 points.

Do you have the other indices to compare, Ard Taoiseach?
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Ireland - Worse than Romania?   Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:28 pm

cactus flower wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
The UN's Human Development Index and the EIU's Quality of Life Index and global happiness surveys are far better indicators than this rubbish survey.

I have to agree with you that there is not a lot of sense on weighting down a State with a perhaps marginally higher cost of living than the european mean by 100 points.

Do you have the other indices to compare, Ard Taoiseach?

Yep

EIU

HDI
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Ireland - Worse than Romania?   Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:53 pm

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
cactus flower wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
The UN's Human Development Index and the EIU's Quality of Life Index and global happiness surveys are far better indicators than this rubbish survey.

I have to agree with you that there is not a lot of sense on weighting down a State with a perhaps marginally higher cost of living than the european mean by 100 points.

Do you have the other indices to compare, Ard Taoiseach?

Yep

EIU

HDI

Great stuff Ard Taoisech, thanks. I see that poor old Iceland was top of the human development index 2006-7. I hope they can stay up near the top, and Ireland too.
Have you read about the interesting phenomena in which Irish people have one of the best perceptions of being healthy, irrespective of reality? Is that, or is it not, a reason to be cheerful Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Ireland - Worse than Romania?   Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:47 pm

cactus flower wrote:


Great stuff Ard Taoisech, thanks. I see that poor old Iceland was top of the human development index 2006-7. I hope they can stay up near the top, and Ireland too.

Well it is a list up which Ireland has been travelling so we should stay within the top ten over the next couple of years and, as we recover from the downturn in the economy, I can see us actually topping the list overall.

Quote :
Have you read about the interesting phenomena in which Irish people have one of the best perceptions of being healthy, irrespective of reality? Is that, or is it not, a reason to be cheerful Very Happy

I haven't read about it but, on reflection, it is a reason to be cheerful. We have a positive outlook on life and it is essential we retain an essential positivity during this cloudy economic patch. We need it so that we have the mental capacity to recover ourselves from the troubles in which we find ourselves.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Ireland - Worse than Romania?   Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:17 am

cactus flower wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
The UN's Human Development Index and the EIU's Quality of Life Index and global happiness surveys are far better indicators than this rubbish survey.

I have to agree with you that there is not a lot of sense on weighting down a State with a perhaps marginally higher cost of living than the european mean by 100 points.

Do you have the other indices to compare, Ard Taoiseach?

The Mercer's Quality of Life survey is one of those I trust implicitly, cactus flower. Cool

(For obvious reasons, you may think!)

http://www.mercer.com/qualityofliving
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Ireland - Worse than Romania?   Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:27 pm

Slim Buddha wrote:
cactus flower wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
The UN's Human Development Index and the EIU's Quality of Life Index and global happiness surveys are far better indicators than this rubbish survey.

I have to agree with you that there is not a lot of sense on weighting down a State with a perhaps marginally higher cost of living than the european mean by 100 points.

Do you have the other indices to compare, Ard Taoiseach?

The Mercer's Quality of Life survey is one of those I trust implicitly, cactus flower. Cool

(For obvious reasons, you may think!)

http://www.mercer.com/qualityofliving

Zuri's a grand auld place but I am at home in Dublin and the city fills me with an almost indescribable sense of satisfaction which will trump all other factors in making me extremely happy to be living in my city. Every day I look at Dublin and find a new and lovely aspect of it. It's great.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Ireland - Worse than Romania?   Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:48 am

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
Slim Buddha wrote:
cactus flower wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
The UN's Human Development Index and the EIU's Quality of Life Index and global happiness surveys are far better indicators than this rubbish survey.

I have to agree with you that there is not a lot of sense on weighting down a State with a perhaps marginally higher cost of living than the european mean by 100 points.

Do you have the other indices to compare, Ard Taoiseach?

The Mercer's Quality of Life survey is one of those I trust implicitly, cactus flower. Cool

(For obvious reasons, you may think!)

http://www.mercer.com/qualityofliving

Zuri's a grand auld place but I am at home in Dublin and the city fills me with an almost indescribable sense of satisfaction which will trump all other factors in making me extremely happy to be living in my city. Every day I look at Dublin and find a new and lovely aspect of it. It's great.

I am not knocking Dublin, Ard, not in the least. Mind you, it seems to have become a bit more uncomfortable since yesterday afternnoon.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Ireland - Worse than Romania?   

Back to top Go down
 
Ireland - Worse than Romania?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» What's worse, to be deaf or blind? ...
» BANK OF SCOTLAND (IRELAND): securitisation of mortgages trial.
» Minden - Clifton Barracks
» 1960's NIreland
» Albert Best - life of a medium

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Machine Nation  :: Business and Finance :: Economy, Business and Finance-
Jump to: