Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

The Stalinists on Politics.ie

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage

The Stalinists on Politics.ie - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Stalinists on Politics.ie   The Stalinists on Politics.ie - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 05, 2008 6:15 pm

cactus flower wrote:
Bloody software eh.

Not a purge, more along the lines of the health check reminders the HSE occasionally issues to the dead. Shocked

That's pretty much what the email was...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Stalinists on Politics.ie   The Stalinists on Politics.ie - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 05, 2008 7:09 pm

rockyracoon wrote:
cookiemonster wrote:
Since when has p.ie claimed to be a democracy? It's a cochranocracy and always has been.

A new phrase in Irish politics perhaps? Thanks for the larff.

We could all bitch about another site. You've got to find the place where you feel most comfortable. Tbh, I was missing what I considered the cut and thrust of debate on pie before I was welcomed on the machine nation site. However, there was very little in the way of debate on pie, in retrospection, and more on slagging off the other poster's opinions. Concenus is never an option on many sites.

On MN I find that I have to stop and think a little before I reply or retort in order to keep within the spirit or ethos of the site. In other words, I am forced to think before I type, and sterotypical answers are not sufficient.

There is a saying in Monaghan: "have manners". This simple phrase is used when anyone gets out of line. Simple but understood by all participants in Monaghan. Go against the saying and you can lose friends very quickly.

I mightn't always live up the the saying but, god love me, I try, and usually row-back my "over-enthusiasm". Twisted Evil
I find there’s a bit too much consensus here on this site, a bit like a club with too few members, too comfortable with each other.
Not my cup of tea unfortunately.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Stalinists on Politics.ie   The Stalinists on Politics.ie - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 05, 2008 7:25 pm

tonys wrote:
rockyracoon wrote:
cookiemonster wrote:
Since when has p.ie claimed to be a democracy? It's a cochranocracy and always has been.

A new phrase in Irish politics perhaps? Thanks for the larff.

We could all bitch about another site. You've got to find the place where you feel most comfortable. Tbh, I was missing what I considered the cut and thrust of debate on pie before I was welcomed on the machine nation site. However, there was very little in the way of debate on pie, in retrospection, and more on slagging off the other poster's opinions. Concenus is never an option on many sites.

On MN I find that I have to stop and think a little before I reply or retort in order to keep within the spirit or ethos of the site. In other words, I am forced to think before I type, and sterotypical answers are not sufficient.

There is a saying in Monaghan: "have manners". This simple phrase is used when anyone gets out of line. Simple but understood by all participants in Monaghan. Go against the saying and you can lose friends very quickly.

I mightn't always live up the the saying but, god love me, I try, and usually row-back my "over-enthusiasm". Twisted Evil
I find there’s a bit too much consensus here on this site, a bit like a club with too few members, too comfortable with each other.
Not my cup of tea unfortunately.

It's a different style of forum, tonys. Here a debate or discussion can occur without resort to rancour or juvenile taunting. On other more widely used sites, there are single issue nuts (immigration, for example) or far-right wingnuts or simply headcases spouting off the most mindless stuff without fail. It really becomes very tedious. But it comes down to a question of personal taste.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Stalinists on Politics.ie   The Stalinists on Politics.ie - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 05, 2008 9:05 pm

Don't blame me Slim. I did my best with rancour and juvenile taunting.

Tonys is taking the last stage coach out of town before the banks open tomorrow. The Stroke pulled by FF is about to be exposed as a big bluff and it is every man for himself.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Stalinists on Politics.ie   The Stalinists on Politics.ie - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 06, 2008 8:49 am

youngdan wrote:
Don't blame me Slim. I did my best with rancour and juvenile taunting.

Tonys is taking the last stage coach out of town before the banks open tomorrow. The Stroke pulled by FF is about to be exposed as a big bluff and it is every man for himself.

It seems that the rigorous analysis and convincing action undertaken by Brian & Brian has had such an effect that Angela Merkel was persuaded to do something similar. Let's see how that works out.

By the way, youngdan, I believe there is a time and a place for rancour and juvenile taunting. One has to let off steam now and again Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Stalinists on Politics.ie   The Stalinists on Politics.ie - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 06, 2008 1:37 pm

i couldn#t log back in as zakalwe in p.ie, so have reregistered as zakalwe1 (a newbie). i emailed the site hosts about a week ago but have had no response.
i'll pop into p.ie but prob won't contribute anymore. its hard as i have to bite my lip as some of the crap posted there.

anyway, good riddance to the racists and single issue posters.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Stalinists on Politics.ie   The Stalinists on Politics.ie - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 06, 2008 2:25 pm

FYI, I've had three incarnations on p.ie - all banned and finally my IP address banned for ever. My quote in the original post is from an email I received which Im reluctant to provide a link for since it will I imagine bring the world and its wife into my email box.

I was banned permanently in a week when I had written about Israel/Palestine including a quote from Gilad Aztmon - an Israeli who is highly critical of Israeli policy in Palestine and who has written some thought provoking humourous pieces about the situation. The poster LChaim descended on the thread (an avowed ex member of Mossad, I've heard) in rage and fury. There is another Zionist there too whose name I forget for the moent - and he too was beside himself with rage. The thread was deleted without explanation as were others I posted and I have never been allowed back. In the same week, I criticised Brendan O' Connor's articles on the Bertie Ahern/Mahon saga and also the Harney/Geoghegan conflict of interest re health service. My style of posting was the same as it is here although,. Some of the more right wing posters over there clearly think personal abuse is a substitute for rational discussion. So, no, I'm not 'rushing' to MN to complain about this without having found out what lies behind my banning. Ive also had some intriguingly aggressive communications from the great David Cochrane and about whom many posters on p.ie are nauseatingly sychophantic.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Stalinists on Politics.ie   The Stalinists on Politics.ie - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 06, 2008 3:09 pm

I presume it's the principle of the thing which upsets you, and that you're really quite glad of the oppertunity to spend more time with us?

Shame about getting kicked off P.ie, and they certainly should have told you why. But you're the bigger fool if you thought they were democratic. You're not that gullible, right?

On the matter of free speech, there are limits. It's a simple matter of legislation. And I daresay I can think of a scenario where you'd get kicked off this site Aragon. But I'm far more likely to go sooner. Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Stalinists on Politics.ie   The Stalinists on Politics.ie - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 07, 2008 9:09 pm

905 wrote:
I presume it's the principle of the thing which upsets you, and that you're really quite glad of the oppertunity to spend more time with us?

Shame about getting kicked off P.ie, and they certainly should have told you why. But you're the bigger fool if you thought they were democratic. You're not that gullible, right?

On the matter of free speech, there are limits. It's a simple matter of legislation. And I daresay I can think of a scenario where you'd get kicked off this site Aragon. But I'm far more likely to go sooner. Wink

Are you feeling tempted to label a few people 905 ? Our hope is that no-one will ever be kicked off, I think, although I know that Ard-Taoiseach did prepare a Defenstration Chamber just in case any serious trolling arose.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Stalinists on Politics.ie   The Stalinists on Politics.ie - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 07, 2008 9:58 pm

Aragon wrote:
FYI, I've had three incarnations on p.ie - all banned and finally my IP address banned for ever.

That really is OTT as it can't be for trolling so it's either a technical issue or political. It's clearly the latter going by the fact your IP is banned.

You could try and create the account through tor* and access the site through that... although whether you'd want to anymore is another thing....

* (Speaking of authoritarian net restrictions....tor is used a lot in China and proxies your IP, hence it can be pretty slow....)
http://www.torproject.org/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tor_(anonymity_network)
you can use it in tandem with privoxy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Privoxy

Last edited by Pax on Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Stalinists on Politics.ie   The Stalinists on Politics.ie - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 07, 2008 10:28 pm

Did you piss Dave off, Aragon?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Stalinists on Politics.ie   The Stalinists on Politics.ie - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 07, 2008 11:30 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
Did you piss Dave off, Aragon?

Aragon, as he/she says, posted in the same way here as on P.ie. I guess the answer is yes Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Stalinists on Politics.ie   The Stalinists on Politics.ie - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 08, 2008 12:00 pm

cactus flower wrote:
905 wrote:

Are you feeling tempted to label a few people 905 ?
You know who you are. Suspect
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Stalinists on Politics.ie   The Stalinists on Politics.ie - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 08, 2008 12:42 pm

tonys wrote:
cookiemonster wrote:
tonys wrote:
All appearances to the contrary, Cochrane is still in place is he not.

But you're not.
True, are you telling me that you agree with him.

Why was tonys banned? Is there any FFers left over there?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Stalinists on Politics.ie   The Stalinists on Politics.ie - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 08, 2008 12:46 pm

Zhou_Enlai wrote:
tonys wrote:
cookiemonster wrote:
tonys wrote:

But you're not.

I see may people asking the same question over on P.ie. There doesn't seem to be an answer.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Stalinists on Politics.ie   The Stalinists on Politics.ie - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 08, 2008 2:28 pm

cactus flower wrote:
Zhou_Enlai wrote:
tonys wrote:
cookiemonster wrote:
tonys wrote:

But you're not.

I see may people asking the same question over on P.ie. There doesn't seem to be an answer.
Tonys (the innocent, as he is now known) was banned from politics.ie by one Mr. Cochrane of that parish, brought about exclusively as a result of the humour lobotomy suffered by the same Mr. Cochrane some time ago. Having said that I absolve him of any personal blame, faced with the choice of arguing his case or banning Tonys, Mr. Cochrane did the only thing he could do.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Stalinists on Politics.ie   The Stalinists on Politics.ie - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 08, 2008 2:48 pm

Zhou_Enlai wrote:
tonys wrote:
cookiemonster wrote:
tonys wrote:

But you're not.

There are, they have taken to bitching quietly in the corner.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Stalinists on Politics.ie   The Stalinists on Politics.ie - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 08, 2008 2:57 pm

cookiemonster wrote:
Zhou_Enlai wrote:
tonys wrote:
cookiemonster wrote:
tonys wrote:

But you're not.

Well, most of them were gone before me. Tonys was one of the last. Perhaps that is what DC wants. It is his site as he and his minions often see fit to remind people. I hope he is enjoying his site.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Stalinists on Politics.ie   The Stalinists on Politics.ie - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 08, 2008 3:23 pm

well, for some reason i cannot post there anymore either. i have no idea why.

i cannot log in under zakalwe, and emailed the site to request a log in. i registered under zakalwe1 and tried to post in an economy forum, but to no avail. it kicked me out.

i had no idea i was so controversial or unpopular Sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Stalinists on Politics.ie   The Stalinists on Politics.ie - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 08, 2008 3:29 pm

I can log in fine. Just changed my password and that there to check because I hadn't bothered to try until today. I rarely go on these days.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Stalinists on Politics.ie   The Stalinists on Politics.ie - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 08, 2008 3:44 pm

cookiemonster wrote:
Zhou_Enlai wrote:
tonys wrote:
cookiemonster wrote:
tonys wrote:

But you're not.

Given their only alternative would be to answer the anti FF tripe that is allowed to pass for political comment on Politics.ie I can only think they will be better off for it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Stalinists on Politics.ie   The Stalinists on Politics.ie - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 08, 2008 3:57 pm

The "party political" mutual battering on P.ie between three or four (or maybe five) not very different parties is only fun if you are part of that game. It is mainly shadow boxing anyway. What matters most to those parties imo is who gets to control the spoils. Now that the spoils are looking very peaky, we should expect some form of hiatus in the shadow boxing.

Politics.ie will undoubtedly continue to thrive by feasting on fresh blood, whilst in its chambers the glorious names of the heroic posters of yore will fade into dust. Sad

It is up the Machine Nation to carry the posting flag forward on these threads into a glorious, diverse and enthralling future unfettered by personal gripes and guided by mutual respect and the Site Charter cheers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Stalinists on Politics.ie   The Stalinists on Politics.ie - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 08, 2008 4:03 pm

indeed the flight of the politicos predated p.ie 2.0.

rock has gone and many others whom attracted me to that place in the first place.

its now dominated by cochrane cronies, rabid republicans, religious nuts and racists. all who tended to advocate a "no" to lisbon funnily enough.

maybe ganly has taken it over to recruit his private army in advance of a putsch? Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Stalinists on Politics.ie   The Stalinists on Politics.ie - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 08, 2008 4:07 pm

Just tends to be full of people taking the pishhhh in my experience. It can be funny enough to join in every now and then but it wouldn't compel you to stay as the political debate of the past once did.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Stalinists on Politics.ie   The Stalinists on Politics.ie - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 08, 2008 4:17 pm

zakalwe wrote:
indeed the flight of the politicos predated p.ie 2.0.

rock has gone and many others whom attracted me to that place in the first place.

its now dominated by cochrane cronies, rabid republicans, religious nuts and racists. all who tended to advocate a "no" to lisbon funnily enough.
And Cookiemonster, apologies if you feel you already covered that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Stalinists on Politics.ie   The Stalinists on Politics.ie - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Stalinists on Politics.ie
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next