Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy Empty
PostSubject: Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy   Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 12:49 am

Though no rabid republican myself, I am having difficulty watching such vomitous nostalgic sycophancy for the British Royal Family displayed in this programme. These sorry people are either lacking something in their lives or have some unspeciable form of mental illness, especially the Diana Spencer obsessed ones.
I'm probably going to open a can of worms here but welcome peoples opnions of all shades. No

Last edited by Kate P on Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fix spelling in title: Kate P)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy   Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 12:58 am

Yer man from Maryborough Port Laoise was deprived when he couldn't see the coronation. I hope he's very bitter.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy   Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 1:05 am

It's all part of the softening up process for a visit by Mrs. Windsor and her ever so diplomatic consort.
Maybe some of her wealth might be safer in Irish banks now that all deposits are state guaranteed for the next 2 years! Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy   Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 1:14 am

Its a pretty light-hearted programme to be honest.

Tho Im sure Merle Haggard, Stevey,Halo and the rest of the "never forget" brigade over at P.ie are already writing novellas about the "servile" "cultural cringe/weakness revisionism" that is overcoming us again! Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy   Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 1:24 am

P.ie is offline tonight - God help'em, they need a night off once in a while! Laughing

Correction it's back online.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy   Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 1:30 am

Celebrity Deathmatch? Who would you invite to Ireland?
Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy Rosiew10
Queen of all our Hearts, Her Royal Highschoolness Rosie Webster? or............
Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy Lizzie10
or soap opera star Liz Windsor?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy   Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 2:44 pm

The Lighthouse Keeper wrote:
It's all part of the softening up process for a visit by Mrs. Windsor and her ever so diplomatic consort.
Like all warm-blooded creatures, I have a soft spot for Philip. How could you not?

The aforementioned Rosie Webster did indeed pay a visit to our shores recently, she put in an appearance at a nightclub in Navan.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy   Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 3:02 pm

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy   Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 5:00 pm

I think her ever so diplomatic consort is great and a breath of fresh air in an ever so otherwise boring diplomatic world.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy   Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 6:05 pm

My grandmother and great aunt, staunch catholics the pair of them, used love the royalty. My father said they used always wait up at night for god save the queen on the BBC.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy   Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 6:14 pm

Don't we all riadach?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy   Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 6:17 pm

johnfás wrote:
Don't we all riadach?

Get behind me Satan!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy   Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 6:23 pm

riadach wrote:
My grandmother and great aunt, staunch catholics the pair of them, used love the royalty. My father said they used always wait up at night for god save the queen on the BBC.

Are you sure it wasn't Oben am jungen Rhein instead?

Most admit I laughed loudly at the Liz doppelganger wandering anonymously around Dublin city centre, visiting a pub, have a bag of Burdock's chips and taking the 46A home, at the end of the program. Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy   Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 6:27 pm

For anyone who is interested you'll hear it at 1 am on BBC Radio 4 - straight after the shipping forecast, my second favourite piece of radio.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy   Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 6:47 pm

EvotingMachine0197 wrote:

He was hanging out with the queen that day ......

And the winner of the 'spot the pr--k' competition goes to........EvotingMachine0197 (there's more than one in that photo)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy   Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 6:53 pm

The hostility some people hold towards the royal family never ceases to amaze me. You don't get this level of hostility towards say, Edward Heath, who was of course the Prime Minister during Bloody Sunday.

It's hilarious really. My dad always slightly tongue in cheek makes reference to how wild Dublin went when the Prince of Monaco came to visit when he was a child - that it must be something to do with the denomination of the monarch which makes or breaks them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy   Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 6:57 pm

johnfás wrote:
The hostility some people hold towards the royal family never ceases to amaze me. You don't get this level of hostility towards say, Edward Heath, who was of course the Prime Minister during Bloody Sunday.

It's hilarious really. My dad always slightly tongue in cheek makes reference to how wild Dublin went when the Prince of Monaco came to visit when he was a child - that it must be something to do with the denomination of the monarch which makes or breaks them.

Edward Heath never hung out with the lads
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy   Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 6:57 pm

johnfás wrote:

How do the Kings and Queens of Norway, Sweden, Denmark and the Netherlands fare?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy   Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 7:01 pm

As I said, it was a tongue in cheek comment. The Prince of Denmark has a savage yacht, I was on it in Dun Laoghaire not too long ago. The number of monarchs which exist in Europe is surprising to many people who are vehemently anti the monarchy. Aside from those which you mention there is also a monarch in Belgium, Luxembourgh, Liechenstein, Spain as well as Andorra and the Vatican having elected monarchies. One should either be pro monarchy, neutral or against. You can't merely be against the notion of monarchy in one territory and ignore it in another.

Personally I have no problem with monarchy in certain contexts.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy   Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 7:04 pm

Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy 387px-European_Union_monarchies_by_succession
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy   Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 7:16 pm

If Gráinne Mhaol XVIII was on the throne in Dublin Castle i'd be ag spochadh aisti. Rippin the puish out of royals has been around since apes put other apes' skulls on their heads.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy   Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 7:24 pm

Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy Bean_r10
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy   Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 8:50 pm

Nice map Seathrún Razz.

My late grandfather met the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh on numerous occasions and had nothing but good things to say about them. Whatever about their constitutional position they are genuinely pleasant people.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy   Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 9:04 pm

SeathrúnCeitinn wrote:
Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy Bean_r10

i dont get it. dublin is not neither the royal county nor the kingdom. and as far as i know, elvis is buried in graceland!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy   Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 9:07 pm

It is however The Pale and peculiarly to many it still appears to be so merely because they don't like the attitude of some people who live in Dublin so they brand them wannabe British. Wannabe Californians more like.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy   Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy Empty

Back to top Go down

Hidden History - Tue 30 Sep 2008 - Irish fascination with UK monarchy
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next