Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Density in Dublin - Up or Out

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage

Density in Dublin - Up or Out - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Density in Dublin - Up or Out   Density in Dublin - Up or Out - Page 4 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 12:07 am

Absolutely, there is nothing like a walk along Dun Laoghaire Pier, a stroll in the Dublin Mountains, a cycle up and down the Phoenix Park or tea on the balcony in Bewleys. We have a capital city to be proud of.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Density in Dublin - Up or Out   Density in Dublin - Up or Out - Page 4 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 12:09 am

johnfás wrote:
Absolutely, there is nothing like a walk along Dun Laoghaire Pier, a stroll in the Dublin Mountains, a cycle up and down the Phoenix Park or tea on the balcony in Bewleys. We have a capital city to be proud of.

Waking up in Killiney is nice, looking out of a window completely filled with sea and sky.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Density in Dublin - Up or Out   Density in Dublin - Up or Out - Page 4 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 12:10 am

Killiney is a lovely place. I have a few friends who live there and I always enjoy a BBQ for the view. I wonder is it a very cold view in the winter?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Density in Dublin - Up or Out   Density in Dublin - Up or Out - Page 4 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 12:10 am

johnfás wrote:

Or a satisfying browse through Easons, watching the acts along Grafton St or enjoying Skerries beach. The great thing about Dublin is that it is nice and compact.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Density in Dublin - Up or Out   Density in Dublin - Up or Out - Page 4 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 12:12 am

Walking the piers at Howth, buying some crab from Wrights and chatting to a seal in the harbour...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Density in Dublin - Up or Out   Density in Dublin - Up or Out - Page 4 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 12:15 am

cactus flower wrote:
Walking the piers at Howth, buying some crab from Wrights and chatting to a seal in the harbour...

Enjoying lunch at the Epicurean, taking in some culture at the Gaiety and appreciating our free to access national museums.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Density in Dublin - Up or Out   Density in Dublin - Up or Out - Page 4 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 12:17 am

Haven't been to the Gaiety in a fair while. I had meant to get some tickets to Evita which is running at the moment but it completely slipped my mind. I tend to go to the NCH quite a bit and to the Abbey when there is something which takes my fancy.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Density in Dublin - Up or Out   Density in Dublin - Up or Out - Page 4 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 12:18 am

cookiemonster wrote:
I like Dublin Castle. It's not nearly used enough, well by the public.

Also the Iveagh Gardens.

Where's the Iveagh Gardens? Google earth is broken. It wouldn't be that little park not far from Stephen's Green behind Harcourt Street ... (I think) ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Density in Dublin - Up or Out   Density in Dublin - Up or Out - Page 4 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 12:20 am

They are behind the National Concert Hall and an absolute gem! An artificial waterfall in Dublin city centre! Can you beat it?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Density in Dublin - Up or Out   Density in Dublin - Up or Out - Page 4 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 12:37 am

The National Concert Hall? That rings a bell .. I didn't get cultured until I left Dublin I'm afraid. Is that anywhere near Copperfacedslappers?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Density in Dublin - Up or Out   Density in Dublin - Up or Out - Page 4 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 12:39 am

Yes, the entrance to the Iveagh Gardens is on the road between Harcourt Street (where Coppers is) and Earlsfort Terrace (where the NCH is). The entrance is sort of opposite Deloitte which is the big brown office block.

They are a true oasis. They were the Gardens of Lord Iveagh (one of the Guinnesses) and were attached to Iveagh House on St Stephens Green which is now the Dept of Foreign Affairs.

Density in Dublin - Up or Out - Page 4 179279105_bccd6d2f01
Density in Dublin - Up or Out - Page 4 2503154769_0f0d3fa37c
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Density in Dublin - Up or Out   Density in Dublin - Up or Out - Page 4 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 12:45 am

That's new to me johnfás - lovely - I'll be checking it out.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Density in Dublin - Up or Out   Density in Dublin - Up or Out - Page 4 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 12:52 am

A great place to drink off your hangover of a Saturday morning.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Density in Dublin - Up or Out   Density in Dublin - Up or Out - Page 4 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 12:58 am

Bit of a Coppers fan are you Auditor? You may be disgusted to know that it is about the most popular jaunt with the twenty something south Dublin brigade!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Density in Dublin - Up or Out   Density in Dublin - Up or Out - Page 4 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 1:06 am

johnfás wrote:
Bit of a Coppers fan are you Auditor? You may be disgusted to know that it is about the most popular jaunt with the twenty something south Dublin brigade!

coppers is great fun.

cookiemonster *heart* coppers.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Density in Dublin - Up or Out   Density in Dublin - Up or Out - Page 4 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 1:09 am

I tend to be there most weekends but I don't really like the place to be honest. I was at Howl at the Moon the other week and thought to myself just how much I enjoyed a break from Coppers. Just tends to be where everyone is going at the moment.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Density in Dublin - Up or Out   Density in Dublin - Up or Out - Page 4 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 1:12 am

johnfás wrote:
I tend to be there most weekends but I don't really like the place to be honest. I was at Howl at the Moon the other week and thought to myself just how much I enjoyed a break from Coppers. Just tends to be where everyone is going at the moment.

I used to live just yup the road from Howl at the moon and would stop off there "for one" on the way home. Too many stairs for my tastes Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Density in Dublin - Up or Out   Density in Dublin - Up or Out - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 12, 2008 11:06 pm

Up Up UP
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Density in Dublin - Up or Out   Density in Dublin - Up or Out - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 12, 2008 11:16 pm

Indeed riven, otherwise we'll have to build up the walls of a new Pale again on the county boundaries to keep yiz out of culcheeland.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Density in Dublin - Up or Out   Density in Dublin - Up or Out - Page 4 EmptyMon Oct 13, 2008 9:57 pm

Kate P wrote:
Indeed riven, otherwise we'll have to build up the walls of a new Pale again on the county boundaries to keep yiz out of culcheeland.

The feeling is mutual, Kate! Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Density in Dublin - Up or Out   Density in Dublin - Up or Out - Page 4 EmptyWed Oct 15, 2008 2:18 pm

http://www.architecturefoundation.ie/

This looks like a very interesting meeting/talk on the future of Dublin on tomorrow night - free entry
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Density in Dublin - Up or Out   Density in Dublin - Up or Out - Page 4 EmptyWed Oct 15, 2008 8:38 pm

You mentioned atrocious signage Ard T - Spar are pretty bad but the worst offenders have surely got to be Extra-Vision. What is it with video rental outlets that they have be so visually offensive?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Density in Dublin - Up or Out   Density in Dublin - Up or Out - Page 4 EmptyWed Oct 15, 2008 9:56 pm

Aragon wrote:
You mentioned atrocious signage Ard T - Spar are pretty bad but the worst offenders have surely got to be Extra-Vision. What is it with video rental outlets that they have be so visually offensive?

Yep, I said this on the first page of the thread, "We also need to see a return to good Georgian splendour in Dublin and we need, at street level, for the likes of Spar to be hounded for their atrocious signage. If you look in Archiseek, about 60-80% of all the street-level eyesores are caused by gaudy and ridiculous Spar "Temporary Signs"

I'm not as bothered by Xtra-Vision since they have the honesty to call their permanent signs permanent unlike Spar and they're not as large as the awful Spar signs. They're still not pretty but quite aesthetic in comparison to our "convenience" chains.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Density in Dublin - Up or Out   Density in Dublin - Up or Out - Page 4 EmptyWed Oct 15, 2008 11:50 pm

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
Aragon wrote:

Yep, I said this on the first page of the thread, "We also need to see a return to good Georgian splendour in Dublin and we need, at street level, for the likes of Spar to be hounded for their atrocious signage. If you look in Archiseek, about 60-80% of all the street-level eyesores are caused by gaudy and ridiculous Spar "Temporary Signs"

I'm not as bothered by Xtra-Vision since they have the honesty to call their permanent signs permanent unlike Spar and they're not as large as the awful Spar signs. They're still not pretty but quite aesthetic in comparison to our "convenience" chains.

Extra Vision is shocking. I suppose we have got used to petrol station signage, but it's an abomination in the streetscape and billboards should just be banned. Mad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Density in Dublin - Up or Out   Density in Dublin - Up or Out - Page 4 EmptyThu Oct 16, 2008 12:01 am

cactus flower wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
Aragon wrote:

Extra Vision is shocking. I suppose we have got used to petrol station signage, but it's an abomination in the streetscape and billboards should just be banned. Mad

I'm not defending them, but, in comparison to Spar, they do fairly alright. On my trip through the IFSC I was struck by how tasteful virtually all of the corporate signage seemed to be. If we could apply that on a city-wide basis and stop the "Temporary Sign" nonsense, Dublin would be even fairer than ever!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Density in Dublin - Up or Out   Density in Dublin - Up or Out - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Density in Dublin - Up or Out
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next