Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet


Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton
 
PortalPortal  HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Share | 
 

 Autumn Book Club Choice - Adam Smith: The Wealth of Nations

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Autumn Book Club Choice - Adam Smith: The Wealth of Nations   Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:43 am

My vote is for Adam Smith, if cookemonster would be so kind as to guide us through it.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Autumn Book Club Choice - Adam Smith: The Wealth of Nations   Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:22 am

cactus flower wrote:
My vote is for Adam Smith, if cookemonster would be so kind as to guide us through it.

I'm happy with either Wealth of Nations or Theory of Moral Sentiments being our Bookclub choice. They'd be proper solid reading to see us through the Autumn.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Autumn Book Club Choice - Adam Smith: The Wealth of Nations   Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:25 am

The Wealth of Nations ? Would you like to spend some time on it Ard-Taoiseach?

Would you be happy with this edition ?

http://www.econlib.org/LIBRARY/Smith/smWN1.html


Last edited by cactus flower on Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Autumn Book Club Choice - Adam Smith: The Wealth of Nations   Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:27 am

cactus flower wrote:
The Wealth of Nations ? Would you like to spend some time on it Ard-Taoiseach?

It's a fine volume by a fine gentleman. It's timeless logic.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Autumn Book Club Choice - Adam Smith: The Wealth of Nations   Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:29 am

I've just posted a link above your last post. Would you be happy wiith that edition? It is searchable.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Autumn Book Club Choice - Adam Smith: The Wealth of Nations   Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:31 am

cactus flower wrote:
I've just posted a link above your last post. Would you be happy wiith that edition? It is searchable.

Thanks very much for that, it'll be very good for instant reference when we get going at it.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Autumn Book Club Choice - Adam Smith: The Wealth of Nations   Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:33 am

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
cactus flower wrote:
I've just posted a link above your last post. Would you be happy wiith that edition? It is searchable.

Thanks very much for that, it'll be very good for instant reference when we get going at it.


I'm looking forward to it too - a very important book, rooted in reality.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Autumn Book Club Choice - Adam Smith: The Wealth of Nations   Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:36 am

cactus flower wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
cactus flower wrote:
I've just posted a link above your last post. Would you be happy wiith that edition? It is searchable.

Thanks very much for that, it'll be very good for instant reference when we get going at it.


I'm looking forward to it too - a very important book, rooted in reality.

Yep. Adam Smith is amongst the few economic thinkers not to show his age in an appreciable way. Lots of others have fallen by the way side due to the eroding power of historical advance.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Autumn Book Club Choice - Adam Smith: The Wealth of Nations   Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:07 pm

Is anyone else interested in reading The Wealth of Nations?

I could be ready to start next week - Should it still be Sunday or a weekday night?

How much reading is there in it? Would you or cookiemonster post a summary of it to get things started (or a nice youtube of Adam Smith telling us what he meant by it all ? What a Face )
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Autumn Book Club Choice - Adam Smith: The Wealth of Nations   Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:05 pm

cactus flower wrote:
Is anyone else interested in reading The Wealth of Nations?

I could be ready to start next week - Should it still be Sunday or a weekday night?

How much reading is there in it? Would you or cookiemonster post a summary of it to get things started (or a nice youtube of Adam Smith telling us what he meant by it all ? What a Face )

Oh I just saw this. w00t.

It's an awful big task you have got yourselves into, you know. I'll get on to writing a summary during the week and see how we get on.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Autumn Book Club Choice - Adam Smith: The Wealth of Nations   Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:38 pm

cookiemonster wrote:
cactus flower wrote:
Is anyone else interested in reading The Wealth of Nations?

I could be ready to start next week - Should it still be Sunday or a weekday night?

How much reading is there in it? Would you or cookiemonster post a summary of it to get things started (or a nice youtube of Adam Smith telling us what he meant by it all ? What a Face )

Oh I just saw this. w00t.

It's an awful big task you have got yourselves into, you know. I'll get on to writing a summary during the week and see how we get on.

Did you see I posted this link to the book cookiemonster? Does this version look all right to you? It should make it a lot easier for people to take part as we have an on-line text.

http://www.econlib.org/LIBRARY/Smith/smWN1.html
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Autumn Book Club Choice - Adam Smith: The Wealth of Nations   Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:57 pm




The Wealth of Nations: The Musical
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Autumn Book Club Choice - Adam Smith: The Wealth of Nations   Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:58 pm

Good idea CF, I've had a quick look though it and it seems fine. As long as it's unabridged and has all five books it should be fine. But it's very long and it might be an idea to print it out as I don't imagine it would be the easiest thing to read online. Also you might want to take notes.

I have a lovely hardback version which was bought for me as a present by one of my lecturers but I seem to have lost both my study version (with notes) and my reader's guide - as you can imagine I am terribly annoyed about that!
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Autumn Book Club Choice - Adam Smith: The Wealth of Nations   Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:05 pm

There is a version on this Site that may be better to use. Link to Adam Smith Institute
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Autumn Book Club Choice - Adam Smith: The Wealth of Nations   Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:15 pm

Adam Smith? The Wealth of Nations? This is gonna be great! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Autumn Book Club Choice - Adam Smith: The Wealth of Nations   Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:21 pm

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
Adam Smith? The Wealth of Nations? This is gonna be great! Very Happy


And the text is on-line so its Free ! Very Happy

http://www.adamsmith.org/smith/won-index.htm
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Autumn Book Club Choice - Adam Smith: The Wealth of Nations   Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:24 pm

cactus flower wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
Adam Smith? The Wealth of Nations? This is gonna be great! Very Happy


And the text is on-line so its Free ! Very Happy

http://www.adamsmith.org/smith/won-index.htm

That's a brilliant resource and it is very well organised. Adam Smith is a rock of sense whose thinking is relevant today. One of the only ways in which he dates is his failure to account for enterprise as a factor of production. He was going by the common consensus of 18th century economics that the three factors were land, labour and capital. It was only with Jean-Baptiste Say(also famous for Say's Law) that the factor enterprise was separated from capital and that is how it has been ever since.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Autumn Book Club Choice - Adam Smith: The Wealth of Nations   Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:50 am

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
cactus flower wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
Adam Smith? The Wealth of Nations? This is gonna be great! Very Happy


And the text is on-line so its Free ! Very Happy

http://www.adamsmith.org/smith/won-index.htm

That's a brilliant resource and it is very well organised. Adam Smith is a rock of sense whose thinking is relevant today. One of the only ways in which he dates is his failure to account for enterprise as a factor of production. He was going by the common consensus of 18th century economics that the three factors were land, labour and capital. It was only with Jean-Baptiste Say(also famous for Say's Law) that the factor enterprise was separated from capital and that is how it has been ever since.

I'd add that his writing is very clear and compared to modern economists, refreshingly free of jargon.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Autumn Book Club Choice - Adam Smith: The Wealth of Nations   Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:17 am

cactus flower wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
cactus flower wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
Adam Smith? The Wealth of Nations? This is gonna be great! Very Happy


And the text is on-line so its Free ! Very Happy

http://www.adamsmith.org/smith/won-index.htm

That's a brilliant resource and it is very well organised. Adam Smith is a rock of sense whose thinking is relevant today. One of the only ways in which he dates is his failure to account for enterprise as a factor of production. He was going by the common consensus of 18th century economics that the three factors were land, labour and capital. It was only with Jean-Baptiste Say(also famous for Say's Law) that the factor enterprise was separated from capital and that is how it has been ever since.

I'd add that his writing is very clear and compared to modern economists, refreshingly free of jargon.

That's Adam Smith, the grandaddy of economics!
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Autumn Book Club Choice - Adam Smith: The Wealth of Nations   Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:23 pm

Any other takers for this ambitious reading project ? cookiemonster has offered a brief summary to get us started ? for busy people without time to read the book but who want to look at the ideas, there are good wiki entries on Smith and economic theory. This might help us to make sense of the major mayhem going on at the moment.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Autumn Book Club Choice - Adam Smith: The Wealth of Nations   Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:57 pm

jaysus!!!! thats some reading there!

read it for my undergrad (i was the boring student who made it through most of the recommended reading list rather than the bare minimum!). my dad has a first edition (he bought it in a flea market when he studied economics in trinity back in the 60's). only found out we had the copy a few years ago!
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Autumn Book Club Choice - Adam Smith: The Wealth of Nations   Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:03 pm

zakalwe wrote:
jaysus!!!! thats some reading there!

read it for my undergrad (i was the boring student who made it through most of the recommended reading list rather than the bare minimum!). my dad has a first edition (he bought it in a flea market when he studied economics in trinity back in the 60's). only found out we had the copy a few years ago!

Ooooooh.... colour me impressed!

Can you bring it to school and show us all?

Aye, I did warn yez yer in for a heafty read. But I'll bate some classical economics into yez yet!
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Autumn Book Club Choice - Adam Smith: The Wealth of Nations   Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:04 pm

zakalwe wrote:
jaysus!!!! thats some reading there!

read it for my undergrad (i was the boring student who made it through most of the recommended reading list rather than the bare minimum!). my dad has a first edition (he bought it in a flea market when he studied economics in trinity back in the 60's). only found out we had the copy a few years ago!

Any help you would give us would be appreciated, no matter how dusty your copy is. First ed. must be worth a bit, as well as a wonder to behold.

Sunday nights any good for you for an on-line session ?
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Autumn Book Club Choice - Adam Smith: The Wealth of Nations   Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:08 pm

sadly, its minus its back cover so probably not worth all that much.

i'll try to dig out (and dust off) my notes on the book, i suspect they were used as kindling (my mum has no respect for the written word, especially when i graduated)!

if i remember correctly, it went into great detail about the pin maker! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Autumn Book Club Choice - Adam Smith: The Wealth of Nations   Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:17 pm

zakalwe wrote:
sadly, its minus its back cover so probably not worth all that much.

i'll try to dig out (and dust off) my notes on the book, i suspect they were used as kindling (my mum has no respect for the written word, especially when i graduated)!

if i remember correctly, it went into great detail about the pin maker! Very Happy

Yes, division of labour ! fascinating stuff ( about the only bit I've read so far )
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Autumn Book Club Choice - Adam Smith: The Wealth of Nations   

Back to top Go down
 
Autumn Book Club Choice - Adam Smith: The Wealth of Nations
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Division of labour
» Drill Book
» Book Four - Book of Ablution
» The Book, the SOng of Solomon
» New Book on Transiting Planets

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Machine Nation  :: Vibes and Scribes :: Dog Ears Book Club-
Jump to: