Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Can anyone play a mandolin?

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

Can anyone play a mandolin? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Can anyone play a mandolin?   Can anyone play a mandolin? - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 18, 2008 11:08 pm

In the Christy Moore songbook, the note, that I presume Christy wrote himself about 'Follow Me Up To Carlow' states that "They don't write them like this anymore"

It certainly has always been a favourite of mine.

Feilim Mac Fiach Mac Aodha Ó Beirne was a another boy that lead the palesmen a merry dance.

It was Fiach's clan who saved Aodh Rua Ó Domhnaill from starving and freezing to death in the Wicklow mountains after he escaped from Dublin Castle in the winter of 1592. Art Ó Néill died and Aodh Rua lost a few digits. Fiach nursed him back to health and secured him passage back to Donegal
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone play a mandolin?   Can anyone play a mandolin? - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 18, 2008 11:30 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uggbzBtGbJw
Andy Irvine sings that too does he?
I've never heard Andy sing it. You did recognize Christy's voice, didn't you, Audi??
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone play a mandolin?   Can anyone play a mandolin? - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 18, 2008 11:45 pm

soubresauts wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uggbzBtGbJw
Andy Irvine sings that too does he?
I've never heard Andy sing it. You did recognize Christy's voice, didn't you, Audi??

No ! He must have been very different-sounding when he was young if Christy Moore sang that. I don't believe he did. I'll google it now ... Or should I say wiki it ?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone play a mandolin?   Can anyone play a mandolin? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Can anyone play a mandolin?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2