Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet


Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton
 
PortalPortal  HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Share | 
 

 Eileen Flynn

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
avatar

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Eileen Flynn   Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:23 pm

Eileen Flynn, teacher sacked in 1982, dies

Quote :
THE DEATH has taken place of Wexford school teacher Eileen Flynn,
who became an important figure in the history of the separation between
the Catholic Church and the State. In August 1982 Ms Flynn was
dismissed from her job as an English and history teacher at the Holy
Faith Convent in New Ross, Co Wexford. At the time she was sacked, Ms
Flynn was unmarried with a baby son and was living with the baby's
father, a separated man, Richie Roche.

Irish Times

1982 seems so long ago
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Eileen Flynn   Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:29 pm

EvotingMachine0197 wrote:
Eileen Flynn, teacher sacked in 1982, dies

Quote :
THE DEATH has taken place of Wexford school teacher Eileen Flynn,
who became an important figure in the history of the separation between
the Catholic Church and the State. In August 1982 Ms Flynn was
dismissed from her job as an English and history teacher at the Holy
Faith Convent in New Ross, Co Wexford. At the time she was sacked, Ms
Flynn was unmarried with a baby son and was living with the baby's
father, a separated man, Richie Roche.

Irish Times

1982 seems so long ago

That's dreadful. The poor things could not marry because of the no divorce law.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Eileen Flynn   Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:13 pm

I wonder was Mr Roche working and was he sacked?
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Eileen Flynn   Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:14 pm

Kate P wrote:
I wonder was Mr Roche working and was he sacked?

In New Ross in the 1980s, hardly anyone was working after Albatross closed.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Eileen Flynn   Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:25 pm

Perhaps. But we live in a society that placed women in Magdalene laundries, made women give up their jobs when they got married and blamed women for living a lifestyle flagrantly in conflict with the norms an institution seeks to promote.

I was in a building today working right up to 5.55 when most people had gone and we'd been kept late and I needed to take down certain information that I'd been waiting for all day.Everyone was tired and under pressure and I hadn't been able to get a job done because of an antiquated system which meant I had to wait until when everyone else was finished to get the information I needed. A caretaker, whom I've met before and sort of know from having been there before, wandered up to me and asked me to leave because he didn't get paid beyond six o'clock. Which is fair enough. But he was extremely rude and he didn't so much as whisper to the three men beside me that he wanted to go home. I suppose if I was talking seniority, one of the three men would be at the virtual top of his particular tree and would command a certain amount of respect because of his position. But I was - and still am - livid, at being singled out, I feel, because of my sex. If the man in question had been in my seat, there's no way he would have made the request and he wouldn't have spoken to any man the way he spoke to me.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
avatar

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Eileen Flynn   Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:18 am

MrsVotingMachine gets that crap a lot, less now than 10 years ago. She was the first female engineer to ever join an unnamed company. Had to take an awful load of crap. And they didn't even know they were doing it.

It is getting better with time I think, isn't it ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Eileen Flynn   Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:24 am

EvotingMachine0197 wrote:
MrsVotingMachine gets that crap a lot, less now than 10 years ago. She was the first female engineer to ever join an unnamed company. Had to take an awful load of crap. And they didn't even know they were doing it.

It is getting better with time I think, isn't it ?

I can well imagine. Generally EvotingMachine we don't know the half of it as we only hear what is said to our faces.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Eileen Flynn   Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:23 am

I've never understood it. A man does a job, a woman does a job - either may be good or bad at the job. Working in the British sector off-shore, there were no women on the rigs - because of the "tough working conditions", it was claimed. In the Norwegian sector, we had women roughnecks - which is to say, working on the drill floor doing the most physically demanding job on the rig.

As a result, I find Electro on p.ie positively flabbergasting.

1982, though - we moved to rural Cavan in 1979, from South London....culture shock wasn't in it. It was more like history shock.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Eileen Flynn   Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:33 am

Nearly ended upon a rig in 1978, from your description nearly was close enough.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Eileen Flynn   Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:32 pm

ibis wrote:
I've never understood it. A man does a job, a woman does a job - either may be good or bad at the job. Working in the British sector off-shore, there were no women on the rigs - because of the "tough working conditions", it was claimed. In the Norwegian sector, we had women roughnecks - which is to say, working on the drill floor doing the most physically demanding job on the rig.

As a result, I find Electro on p.ie positively flabbergasting.

1982, though - we moved to rural Cavan in 1979, from South London....culture shock wasn't in it. It was more like history shock.

There is still a leaky boundary between secular and religious control. I guess that Eileen Flynn's wages were paid by the State, but that didn't help her. The State don't admit to responsibility for the educational institutions that they fund.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
avatar

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Eileen Flynn   Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:44 pm

cactus flower wrote:
ibis wrote:
I've never understood it. A man does a job, a woman does a job - either may be good or bad at the job. Working in the British sector off-shore, there were no women on the rigs - because of the "tough working conditions", it was claimed. In the Norwegian sector, we had women roughnecks - which is to say, working on the drill floor doing the most physically demanding job on the rig.

As a result, I find Electro on p.ie positively flabbergasting.

1982, though - we moved to rural Cavan in 1979, from South London....culture shock wasn't in it. It was more like history shock.

There is still a leaky boundary between secular and religious control. I guess that Eileen Flynn's wages were paid by the State, but that didn't help her. The State don't admit to responsibility for the educational institutions that they fund.

As demonstrated last year when schoold board of management members faced legal problems and Ms. Hannafin indicated it was not a DoEducation issue, it was a Catholic School Managers Association (Church) issue.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Eileen Flynn   

Back to top Go down
 
Eileen Flynn
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Hi from Eileen/Gift From The Heart Nursery
» Stan Deyo, Garden of Eden and David Flynn
» End Time Prophecy BY DAVID FLYNN
» America, the Mississippi River, Division, & the Doubly Perfect Number 2552
» FORBIDDEN SECRETS - PART 9 Palladium & Power Of The Gods

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Machine Nation  :: History :: An Reilig-
Jump to: