Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Who do you recommend seeing at the Electric Picnic?

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

Who do you recommend seeing at the Electric Picnic? Empty
PostSubject: Who do you recommend seeing at the Electric Picnic?   Who do you recommend seeing at the Electric Picnic? EmptySat Aug 23, 2008 11:44 pm

I recommend seeing Queen Elvis at the Village Hall Stage on Friday at 8. Excellent musicians, cream of the Galway crop, and gorgeous music. Have a listen here
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who do you recommend seeing at the Electric Picnic?   Who do you recommend seeing at the Electric Picnic? EmptySat Aug 23, 2008 11:55 pm

Friday:Booka Shade
Digitalism
Goldfrapp
Gomez
Joan As Policewoman
Kila
New Young Pony Club
Sigur Ros
Tinariwen
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who do you recommend seeing at the Electric Picnic?   Who do you recommend seeing at the Electric Picnic? EmptySun Aug 24, 2008 1:40 am

Unaligned has never been to Electric Picnic before and is so excited that he has taken to referring to himself in the third person.

cheers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who do you recommend seeing at the Electric Picnic?   Who do you recommend seeing at the Electric Picnic? EmptySun Aug 24, 2008 1:52 am

unaligned wrote:
Unaligned has never been to Electric Picnic before and is so excited that he has taken to referring to himself in the third person.

cheers
Great. Are you looking forward to the mud, portaloos, packed bar, drunken culchies and dubs asleep in the dirt, vomit, portaloos, no toilet paper, back to the bar for more beer, losing your friends ...

Who's playing anyway? I know cookie has a list up there but I only recognised Joan Armatrading and maybe one more. I can't believe you'd be so excited when there's no-one famous there. At least you won't miss anything when you are queueing at the bar/portaloo/bar/loo ..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who do you recommend seeing at the Electric Picnic?   Who do you recommend seeing at the Electric Picnic? EmptySun Aug 24, 2008 1:53 am

Will people be pitching and thereafter declaring a plot of the campsite as sovereign Machine Nation territory?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who do you recommend seeing at the Electric Picnic?   Who do you recommend seeing at the Electric Picnic? EmptySun Aug 24, 2008 1:57 am

johnfás wrote:
Will people be pitching and thereafter declaring a plot of the campsite as sovereign Machine Nation territory?
Oh can you camp there? I forgot to mention the other joys .. finding a pitch without too much of a slope, having your tent broken into and your drugs robbed; going to the wrong tent at night; being so broke at the end of the three days you have to go to the Hare Krishnas and sing for your supper there; carrying the guilt of not being able to make a donation to the Hare Krishnas for their lovely food.

What are Hare Krishnas anyway? I do recognise their music alright.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who do you recommend seeing at the Electric Picnic?   Who do you recommend seeing at the Electric Picnic? EmptySun Aug 24, 2008 2:01 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
unaligned wrote:

cheers
Great. Are you looking forward to the mud, portaloos, packed bar, drunken culchies and dubs asleep in the dirt, vomit, portaloos, no toilet paper, back to the bar for more beer, losing your friends ...

Who's playing anyway? I know cookie has a list up there but I only recognised Joan Armatrading and maybe one more. I can't believe you'd be so excited when there's no-one famous there. At least you won't miss anything when you are queueing at the bar/portaloo/bar/loo ..

Bah humbug.

I can't wait to see the following:

Digitalism
Sigur Ros
Goldfrapp
Little Green Cars
The Minutes
Cathy Davey
Cut Copy
Lisa Hannigan
The Kills
Underworld

There's lots of others that I'll drop in to and there are some pretty amazing DJs playing as well. Also, I hand in my dissertation on Thursday so Friday at EP will be a massive celebration! I'm going with about twenty of my best friends so the atmosphere will be fantastic. Rain or shine I can't wait.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who do you recommend seeing at the Electric Picnic?   Who do you recommend seeing at the Electric Picnic? EmptySun Aug 24, 2008 2:06 am

Oh I've heard of Lisa Hannigan - she's a cult figure now. Cathy Davey - is that the Reuben singer? Catchy song that. I don't know any of the other ones but at least I've heard the names now. You must be very sociable - I get the creeps when I think of the crowds What a Face

What dissertation are you writing on what may I ask as a slight tangent?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who do you recommend seeing at the Electric Picnic?   Who do you recommend seeing at the Electric Picnic? EmptySun Aug 24, 2008 2:09 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
Oh I've heard of Lisa Hannigan - she's a cult figure now. Cathy Davey - is that the Reuben singer? Catchy song that. I don't know any of the other ones but at least I've heard the names now. You must be very sociable - I get the creeps when I think of the crowds What a Face

What dissertation are you writing on what may I ask as a slight tangent?

I love my own space and quiet time but yes, I'm fairly sociable and I'll be in my element on Friday night sitting in a big circle of friends, drinking and laughing and not thinking about my thesis!

My dissertation concerns agenda setting in the political media. With that information, I have revealed my identity to at least one poster on this forum!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who do you recommend seeing at the Electric Picnic?   Who do you recommend seeing at the Electric Picnic? EmptySun Aug 24, 2008 2:15 am

You've half outed yourself? Aw ...

Lisa .. I love you How to dress like a rock star - find the nearest Oxfam shop/flea market. PIty the sound is shite on this - one of my favourites from O - her voice is deeper than his Smile

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who do you recommend seeing at the Electric Picnic?   Who do you recommend seeing at the Electric Picnic? EmptySun Aug 24, 2008 6:12 pm

Word had it earlier in the year that That Petrol Emotion were re-forming and playing at the picnic, did it materialise?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who do you recommend seeing at the Electric Picnic?   Who do you recommend seeing at the Electric Picnic? EmptyWed Aug 27, 2008 3:15 am

unaligned are you still up the walls with excitement? You have to get a smidgin of work done first though, don't you? - how's that going?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who do you recommend seeing at the Electric Picnic?   Who do you recommend seeing at the Electric Picnic? EmptyWed Aug 27, 2008 3:28 am

Sigur Ros, Sex Pistols, Gomez but most importantly George Clinton. Epic performer. I'm actually going to go listen to Maggot Brain right now, saw him play in Tripod a while back and he played a 25-minute guitar solo for that song. Part of a 4-hour set.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who do you recommend seeing at the Electric Picnic?   Who do you recommend seeing at the Electric Picnic? EmptyWed Aug 27, 2008 3:35 am

evercloserunion wrote:
Sigur Ros, Sex Pistols, Gomez but most importantly George Clinton. Epic performer. I'm actually going to go listen to Maggot Brain right now, saw him play in Tripod a while back and he played a 25-minute guitar solo for that song. Part of a 4-hour set.
George Clinton is the fella in Parliament is he? "One Nation Under a Groove" - Funkadelic. Great music.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who do you recommend seeing at the Electric Picnic?   Who do you recommend seeing at the Electric Picnic? EmptyWed Aug 27, 2008 9:45 am

Quote :
Oh can you camp there? I forgot to mention the other joys .. finding a pitch without too much of a slope, having your tent broken into and your drugs robbed; going to the wrong tent at night; being so broke at the end of the three days you have to go to the Hare Krishnas and sing for your supper there; carrying the guilt of not being able to make a donation to the Hare Krishnas for their lovely food.

You forget this is happening in Laois - the county that makes Mr Muscle look like Jordan.

And, being in Laois, it is a different kind of affair - unique, superior, more intelligent, interesting and real and not a little classier than the average bog-standard festival. That's how we do things here Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who do you recommend seeing at the Electric Picnic?   Who do you recommend seeing at the Electric Picnic? EmptyWed Aug 27, 2008 10:04 am

Kate P wrote:
Quote :

You forget this is happening in Laois - the county that makes Mr Muscle look like Jordan.

And, being in Laois, it is a different kind of affair - unique, superior, more intelligent, interesting and real and not a little classier than the average bog-standard festival. That's how we do things here Wink

As opposed to Offaly which makes Jordan look like Brian Cowan What a Face
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who do you recommend seeing at the Electric Picnic?   Who do you recommend seeing at the Electric Picnic? EmptyWed Aug 27, 2008 10:48 am

Razz Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who do you recommend seeing at the Electric Picnic?   Who do you recommend seeing at the Electric Picnic? EmptyWed Aug 27, 2008 12:13 pm

Apparently my sister will be performing her slam poetry, so she tells me.

I won't be able to make it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who do you recommend seeing at the Electric Picnic?   Who do you recommend seeing at the Electric Picnic? EmptyWed Aug 27, 2008 12:25 pm

Why is nobody else excited about The Breeders? They're the ones I'd really like to see. If I was going, that is. *grumbles*

EP isn't too smelly and muddy and packed. I found last year that I was waiting a shorter time at the bars than in most bars in Dublin. And they actually have an array of drinks, rather than just Heineken and Bacardi (which is what Oxegen had when I was there) - they have a selection of wines, they have a couple of well hidden proper bars (I got a real G&T there one year, real glass and ice and a slice!), it really is a much more classy affair than most festivals.

That said, you're still in a tent, you still have to use portaloos. The group I go there with are quite organised, though, and have someone in charge of tidying up, someone in charge of cooking (we have a full Irish breakfast each morning), and so on. Like all these things, the experience is what you make of it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who do you recommend seeing at the Electric Picnic?   Who do you recommend seeing at the Electric Picnic? EmptyWed Aug 27, 2008 12:33 pm

Qu1zMaster wrote:

I won't be able to make it.
I'm still working on a ticket (quietly hopeful), but slam poetry is something I'd be interested in seeing. And the Leviathan tent and debating should be worth a visit.

And The Stunning; you can take the girl out of the 80s but...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who do you recommend seeing at the Electric Picnic?   Who do you recommend seeing at the Electric Picnic? EmptyWed Aug 27, 2008 11:26 pm

TheBear wrote:
Why is nobody else excited about The Breeders? They're the ones I'd really like to see. If I was going, that is. *grumbles*

EP isn't too smelly and muddy and packed. I found last year that I was waiting a shorter time at the bars than in most bars in Dublin. And they actually have an array of drinks, rather than just Heineken and Bacardi (which is what Oxegen had when I was there) - they have a selection of wines, they have a couple of well hidden proper bars (I got a real G&T there one year, real glass and ice and a slice!), it really is a much more classy affair than most festivals.

That said, you're still in a tent, you still have to use portaloos. The group I go there with are quite organised, though, and have someone in charge of tidying up, someone in charge of cooking (we have a full Irish breakfast each morning), and so on. Like all these things, the experience is what you make of it.

The last time I went someone kindly put me up in this tent. Porridge in the morning too. But still portaloos.

http://www.boutiquecamping.net/content/view/60/59/
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who do you recommend seeing at the Electric Picnic?   Who do you recommend seeing at the Electric Picnic? EmptyThu Aug 28, 2008 1:16 am

SIGUR ROS, SIGUR ROS, SIGUR ROS, SIGUR ROS>>>
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who do you recommend seeing at the Electric Picnic?   Who do you recommend seeing at the Electric Picnic? EmptyThu Aug 28, 2008 11:33 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
unaligned are you still up the walls with excitement? You have to get a smidgin of work done first though, don't you? - how's that going?

I'm done cheers cheers cheers cheers

Its at the printers as we speak. Good forecast for the weekend so I should be on my way this time tomorrow sunny
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who do you recommend seeing at the Electric Picnic?   Who do you recommend seeing at the Electric Picnic? EmptyThu Aug 28, 2008 11:38 am

unaligned wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:

I'm done cheers cheers cheers cheers

Its at the printers as we speak. Good forecast for the weekend so I should be on my way this time tomorrow sunny

Well done unaligned: have a great weekend.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who do you recommend seeing at the Electric Picnic?   Who do you recommend seeing at the Electric Picnic? EmptyThu Aug 28, 2008 2:19 pm

Qu1zMaster wrote:
I can't make it either, but sure we can watch her on YouTube...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who do you recommend seeing at the Electric Picnic?   Who do you recommend seeing at the Electric Picnic? Empty

Back to top Go down

Who do you recommend seeing at the Electric Picnic?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next