Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

A view from the Aemilian Bridge

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage

A view from the Aemilian Bridge - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: A view from the Aemilian Bridge   A view from the Aemilian Bridge - Page 4 EmptyThu Nov 13, 2008 3:04 am

Shouldn't advertise this before I've tried it, but have just noticed the following short article on BBC - " Google Earth revives Ancient Rome".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7725560.stm

Apparently they have recreated the city and have included 250 pop-up info bubbles. No time to try it tonight but will have a go in the morn.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A view from the Aemilian Bridge   A view from the Aemilian Bridge - Page 4 EmptyThu Nov 13, 2008 3:14 am

Atticus wrote:
Shouldn't advertise this before I've tried it, but have just noticed the following short article on BBC - " Google Earth revives Ancient Rome".

Apparently they have recreated the city and have included 250 pop-up info bubbles. No time to try it tonight but will have a go in the morn.

Hasn't this city been recreated before in video games ? Anyway that looks cool enough. Would there be enough extant evidence, maps and artifacts to recreate it faithfully do you know ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A view from the Aemilian Bridge   A view from the Aemilian Bridge - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 15, 2008 2:19 am

Atticus wrote:

How has/did Imperium go?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A view from the Aemilian Bridge   A view from the Aemilian Bridge - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 15, 2008 2:26 am

bounce just loved it!! want to learn a lot more about Cicero for a start. Couldn't see Conspiracy in the bookshops this week, so bought Robin Lane Fox's (Martha's dad, right?) The Classical World: An Epic History of Greece and Rome instead.
Skipped the Greek part, which I will go back and read later, went straight to Rome. Found out what happened to Cicero Crying or Very sad Most importantly, am getting the historical overview I have not had before. Like most people, I have been familiar with sundry figures and episodes from Ancient history but couldn't put a timeline to it. Rectifying that now.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A view from the Aemilian Bridge   A view from the Aemilian Bridge - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 15, 2008 2:30 am

Atticus wrote:
bounce just loved it!! want to learn a lot more about Cicero for a start. Couldn't see Conspiracy in the bookshops this week, so bought Robin Lane
Fox' (Martha's dad, right?) The Classical World: An Epic History of Greece and Rome instead.
Skipped the Greek part, which I will go back and read later, went straight to Rome. Found out what happened to Cicero Crying or Very sad Most importantly, am getting the historical overview I have not had before. Like most people, I have been familiar with sundry figures and episodes from Ancient history but couldn't put a timeline to it. Rectifying that now.

Indeed. He was Augustus' blood sacrifice which bonded the second triumvirate together. If he had had more sense and played his cards better, he would have been a tetravir himself and not end up with a rather grisly fate.

I'm delighted you're really getting into reading about the ancient world. I'm thinking of getting Conspiracy for Christmas and reading it over the break. I'm doing a course in college at the moment so I have enough recommended and required reading to be doing never mind reading for pure enjoyment. The interesting thing about the Republic is that it doesn't really collapse, it just sort of fades away.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A view from the Aemilian Bridge   A view from the Aemilian Bridge - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 15, 2008 2:31 am

I have to say, I suspect Robert Harris is probably the perfect commuter read. Will probably get all of his books now. You can easily whizz through one a week, at least. Admittedly, I spend at least 3 hrs door to door each day.

I shall also dig out my copy of John Kelly's History of western Law in order to read the early / Roman bits.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A view from the Aemilian Bridge   A view from the Aemilian Bridge - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 15, 2008 2:36 am

The thing is, it all sounds so modern really, notwithstanding a few slightly bloodthirstier elements ( Cicero's tongue Crying or Very sad etc etc ) Reading both Harris (inevitably, Blair's face occurred to me a few times) and Lane Fox, these are people I can relate to somehow. Truly fascinating and I need to and will read so much more.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A view from the Aemilian Bridge   A view from the Aemilian Bridge - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 15, 2008 2:49 am

Atticus wrote:
The thing is, it all sounds so modern really, notwithstanding a few slightly bloodthirstier elements ( Cicero's tongue Crying or Very sad etc etc ) Reading both Harris (inevitably, Blair's face occurred to me a few times) and Lane Fox, these are people I can relate to somehow. Truly fascinating and I need to and will read so much more.

Exactly. The compulsions of the time are rather similar to the ones of today. Power, lust, fame and glory were motivations for personal advancement in Rome as they are today. I think Harris is a good read also because he is very adept at creating a thrilling atmosphere in his novels. He has a skill in making you keep turning those pages at appreciable alacrity.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A view from the Aemilian Bridge   A view from the Aemilian Bridge - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 15, 2008 3:18 am

"appreciable alacrity" indeed! Looking forward to Enigma actually.

Interestingly, Lane Fox seems to bookend his book with Hadrian - am [/b]almost[b] ready to post on Hadrian, have scanned some stuff for you.
was soo interesting.

really looking forward to the Byzantium exhibition now
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A view from the Aemilian Bridge   A view from the Aemilian Bridge - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 15, 2008 3:25 am

Atticus wrote:

Interestingly, Lane Fox seems to bookend his book with Hadrian - am [/b]almost[b] ready to post on Hadrian, have scanned some stuff for you.
was soo interesting.

Hadrian is the last emperor upon which Lane Fox touches and I wonder why as Antoninus Pius and Marcus Aurelius carried on in much the same vein and are quite interesting figures also. It all begins to go downhill with Commodus.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A view from the Aemilian Bridge   A view from the Aemilian Bridge - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 15, 2008 3:34 am

Now you see, I haven't got that far yet!. Commodus was Leaf Phoenix or whatever he calls himself now, right?!

Don't diss the film references!

Last edited by Atticus on Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A view from the Aemilian Bridge   A view from the Aemilian Bridge - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 15, 2008 3:56 am

Ard-T, I keep meaning to ask you what exactly you are studying at the moment! Sounds interesting, I mean you have mentioned political science somehere along the line. do tell more! ..........
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A view from the Aemilian Bridge   A view from the Aemilian Bridge - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 15, 2008 1:49 pm

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
Atticus wrote:

was soo interesting.

Hadrian is the last emperor upon which Lane Fox touches and I wonder why as Antoninus Pius and Marcus Aurelius carried on in much the same vein and are quite interesting figures also. It all begins to go downhill with Commodus.

Commodus was a disaster alright. But maybe he was just an incompetant who had circumstances conspire against him and could have got away with a decent reputation in another age. I wonder why Marcus Aurelius allowed his son to take control not just because I doubt the "Gladiator" storyline but because it was unusual for emperors to hand over to their actual sons.

The really really disastrous and evil guys in my opinion are Caesar, Augustus and Diocletion, Constantine. I've also always had a dislike for Septimus Severus.
THe first triumvirate which was a secret affair was particularly scary. Imagine Obama making a behind the scenes deal with the opposition (the wealth and the military), which was what Casesar of the Populares party did with Crassus and Pompey(Optimates party) to maintain power. On second thoughts that is probably what Obama will do affraid
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A view from the Aemilian Bridge   A view from the Aemilian Bridge - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

A view from the Aemilian Bridge
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4