Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Extreme Weather In Ireland and Global Climate Change

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

Extreme Weather In Ireland and Global Climate Change - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Extreme Weather In Ireland and Global Climate Change   Extreme Weather In Ireland and Global Climate Change - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 13, 2008 1:54 am

2 centigrade here so not freezing. minus 8 the other night. No sign of the fleeing polar bears but if they run out of ice there is plenty here till April at least.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Extreme Weather In Ireland and Global Climate Change   Extreme Weather In Ireland and Global Climate Change - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 13, 2008 2:07 am

youngdan wrote:
2 centigrade here so not freezing. minus 8 the other night. No sign of the fleeing polar bears but if they run out of ice there is plenty here till April at least.

It was minus 5 here last week at night. I read that people are scrapping over generator fuel down your way, those guns are going to come in handy.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Extreme Weather In Ireland and Global Climate Change   Extreme Weather In Ireland and Global Climate Change - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 13, 2008 2:18 am

I am all set because I am moving in with a buddy with a HUUUUUGGGHHHH house. I will call him Al
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Extreme Weather In Ireland and Global Climate Change   Extreme Weather In Ireland and Global Climate Change - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 13, 2008 2:23 am

youngdan wrote:
I am all set because I am moving in with a buddy with a HUUUUUGGGHHHH house. I will call him Al

Good luck in your new home youngdan.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Extreme Weather In Ireland and Global Climate Change   Extreme Weather In Ireland and Global Climate Change - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 13, 2008 2:26 am

youngdan wrote:

Congratulations Youngdan. Moving is good for the soul sometimes. Don't forget to bring the beer in the fridge ...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Extreme Weather In Ireland and Global Climate Change   Extreme Weather In Ireland and Global Climate Change - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 13, 2008 2:28 am

youngdan wrote:
The question isn't whether it's hot or cold but different. How different is it from the weather there of other years ?

You live in New England which is at the same latitude as here roughly. It's pissing rain here and in double figures temperature-wise at times.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Extreme Weather In Ireland and Global Climate Change   Extreme Weather In Ireland and Global Climate Change - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 13, 2008 3:10 am

I am beginning to detect a trend. It freezes every winter.

Back in the 70s the scare was a new ice age. Then it became global warming, with out warming so now it is climate change.

Ireland had 7 ice ages so climate does change. The Sahara was once lush and mammouths roamed Siberia. What changed the climate back then.

Imagine if Ibis lived as a cave man and was warning them to burn less twigs because the ice was receeding from Ireland.

Watch out for that club Ibis
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Extreme Weather In Ireland and Global Climate Change   Extreme Weather In Ireland and Global Climate Change - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 13, 2008 3:17 am

Sh1t did we ban the lol smilie ?

I can't think now youngdan I'm laughing. Did you open a thread or did someone cut it off another thread ? Fair play to you if you did - no one hardly opens threads here anymore except cactus and 905. If 905 didn't open threads I wouldn't know anything about Asian wars.

We need more threads and less CO2. The level of oil consumption is falling so I'm sure that will have an impact on the climate too - after all, in any complex system that's interlinked with everything else it's rapid change that's the issue not the change per se.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Extreme Weather In Ireland and Global Climate Change   Extreme Weather In Ireland and Global Climate Change - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 12:21 pm

Quote :
Melbourne, Australia’s second-largest city recorded its third consecutive day of temperatures above 43C (109F) for the first time since 1855, when record-keeping began, the Bureau of Meteorology said.

The temperature in Melbourne topped 45.1C (113F) today ahead of a cooler change that might even bring some thunder showers, the bureau said

I hope shutuplaura is all right. He was feeling the strain of these temperatures the other night.

My garden is completely waterlogged and its still raining. Perhaps its time to get the sandbags out.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Extreme Weather In Ireland and Global Climate Change   Extreme Weather In Ireland and Global Climate Change - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 12:27 pm

youngdan wrote:
I am beginning to detect a trend. It freezes every winter.

Back in the 70s the scare was a new ice age. Then it became global warming, with out warming so now it is climate change.

Ireland had 7 ice ages so climate does change. The Sahara was once lush and mammouths roamed Siberia. What changed the climate back then.

Imagine if Ibis lived as a cave man and was warning them to burn less twigs because the ice was receeding from Ireland.

Watch out for that club Ibis

And 100 million years ago the south pole was covered in lush forests inhabited by dinosaurs. Its perfectly natural for teh earth's climate to change. That mightened suit us, but thats the way the world is.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Extreme Weather In Ireland and Global Climate Change   Extreme Weather In Ireland and Global Climate Change - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 12:31 pm

What Ibis says is that its the speed of change that matters, as it isn't giving us time (or flora and fauna time) to adjust to the changes my adaptation, mitigation or by moving our habitation.

What's the weather like where you are Respvblica? Seen Johnny about the place yet?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Extreme Weather In Ireland and Global Climate Change   Extreme Weather In Ireland and Global Climate Change - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 5:58 pm

cactus flower wrote:
What Ibis says is that its the speed of change that matters, as it isn't giving us time (or flora and fauna time) to adjust to the changes my adaptation, mitigation or by moving our habitation.

Pretty much, although certain ecologies are screwed anyway - montane ecologies have nowhere to move to - and it would be difficult for all non-domestic species in places like Europe, because they would have to migrate through an extremely fragmented landscape. See here for a detailed view.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Extreme Weather In Ireland and Global Climate Change   Extreme Weather In Ireland and Global Climate Change - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 6:26 pm

It's been a fairly cold winter all in all, The Lough frozen over for the first time in donkeys years after weeks of frost, yet my snowdrops were blooming in December, and my daffs are nearly out now already. What is behind this weirdness?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Extreme Weather In Ireland and Global Climate Change   Extreme Weather In Ireland and Global Climate Change - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 7:35 pm

toxic avenger wrote:
It's been a fairly cold winter all in all, The Lough frozen over for the first time in donkeys years after weeks of frost, yet my snowdrops were blooming in December, and my daffs are nearly out now already. What is behind this weirdness?

I saw wild roses blooming on the garden wall of a nearby Fine Gael county councillor's house in late December. But that's Fine Gaelers for you. Always peaking too early.

Last edited by Aragon on Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Extreme Weather In Ireland and Global Climate Change   Extreme Weather In Ireland and Global Climate Change - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 8:14 pm

toxic avenger wrote:
probably some odd attachment you have to gardening, unless the previous occupant planted them before your time.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Extreme Weather In Ireland and Global Climate Change   Extreme Weather In Ireland and Global Climate Change - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 8:23 pm

tonys wrote:
toxic avenger wrote:
probably some odd attachment you have to gardening, unless the previous occupant planted them before your time.

Unfortunately my weirdness long pre-dates my conversion to the joys of mulching and scarifying...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Extreme Weather In Ireland and Global Climate Change   Extreme Weather In Ireland and Global Climate Change - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 8:44 pm

toxic avenger wrote:
tonys wrote:
toxic avenger wrote:

Unfortunately my weirdness long pre-dates my conversion to the joys of mulching and scarifying...
You're sounding more like a blue shirt everyday......scarifying indeed, is that something to do with ghosts or cleaning pots & pans?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Extreme Weather In Ireland and Global Climate Change   Extreme Weather In Ireland and Global Climate Change - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 10:10 pm

tonys wrote:
toxic avenger wrote:
tonys wrote:
toxic avenger wrote:

You're sounding more like a blue shirt everyday......scarifying indeed, is that something to do with ghosts or cleaning pots & pans?

A Blueshirt would employ someone else to do such menial things... It's to do with the lawn, it's when you clear out all the useless decaying matter clogging everything, kind of like the next general election will do to the current administration...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Extreme Weather In Ireland and Global Climate Change   Extreme Weather In Ireland and Global Climate Change - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 10:53 pm

toxic avenger wrote:
tonys wrote:
toxic avenger wrote:
tonys wrote:
toxic avenger wrote:

A Blueshirt would employ someone else to do such menial things... It's to do with the lawn, it's when you clear out all the useless decaying matter clogging everything, kind of like the next general election will do to the current administration...
Oh! the bitter word, are you sure you're not a blue?, but anyway, listen to me now, worms, that's your only man for getting rid of useless decaying matter and you might be on to something there, I suspect that there's plenty of them waiting in the wings to step into the breach.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Extreme Weather In Ireland and Global Climate Change   Extreme Weather In Ireland and Global Climate Change - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 11:53 pm

tonys wrote:
toxic avenger wrote:
tonys wrote:
toxic avenger wrote:
tonys wrote:
toxic avenger wrote:

Oh! the bitter word, are you sure you're not a blue?, but anyway, listen to me now, worms, that's your only man for getting rid of useless decaying matter and you might be on to something there, I suspect that there's plenty of them waiting in the wings to step into the breach.
No, the blues wouldn't want an oik like me about the place...
Yes, but it takes too long, and too much damage will be done in the meantime, I prefer a more physical approach, root it all out as quick as possible, save the effort later. You really have to be merciless...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Extreme Weather In Ireland and Global Climate Change   Extreme Weather In Ireland and Global Climate Change - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 10, 2009 3:05 pm

Weather in Oz is way too hot, and I will not be complaining about rain here for a good while after the terrible fires.

Very sad events.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Extreme Weather In Ireland and Global Climate Change   Extreme Weather In Ireland and Global Climate Change - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 11, 2009 1:17 am

tonys wrote:
toxic avenger wrote:
tonys wrote:
toxic avenger wrote:
tonys wrote:
toxic avenger wrote:

Wormfarming is extremely satisfying. I lost my entire herd in the recent weather which was disappointing. Casulties of extreme weather you won't read about in the papers.

Hopefully the boys are gone to a better place...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Extreme Weather In Ireland and Global Climate Change   Extreme Weather In Ireland and Global Climate Change - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 11, 2009 4:42 pm

http://www.breakingnews.ie/World/mhsnidojmhkf/

Fires still burning in southern Australia and temperatures expected over 45 degrees at the weekend.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Extreme Weather In Ireland and Global Climate Change   Extreme Weather In Ireland and Global Climate Change - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 11, 2009 4:56 pm

Wasn't sure whether to post this amazing site here or in "Surveillance":

http://www.dmcii.com/site_structure/large_table_2006_news.jpg

The fires are affecting everyone.

Extreme Weather In Ireland and Global Climate Change - Page 2 Koala_2
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Extreme Weather In Ireland and Global Climate Change   Extreme Weather In Ireland and Global Climate Change - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 11, 2009 10:34 pm

Interesting article on the Australian bush fires - blames bad planning controls, use of flammable materials (cedar) for houses and lack of a proper emergency response and evacuation system for the catastrophe.

http://www.wsws.org/articles/2009/feb2009/vicf-f11.shtml

Public policy encourages people to "Stay and Defend" their houses as much as to evacuate, but defence against a firestorm is impossible. There is no system of early warnings, even though satellite photography (as in the previous post) gives a very clear picture of what is happening.

The lesson of disasters like this and like Hurricane Katrina is that Governments often view us as disposable. These types of extreme climate-related event are likely to become more and more frequent with clmate change. Social solidarity, mutual assistaince and good use of technology combined, would give people the best possible chance of survival. Waiting for Government to come and dig us out may mean waiting a very long time. What a Face
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Extreme Weather In Ireland and Global Climate Change   Extreme Weather In Ireland and Global Climate Change - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Extreme Weather In Ireland and Global Climate Change
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next