Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

A photo for ye.

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 15  Next
AuthorMessage
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

A photo for ye. - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: A photo for ye.   A photo for ye. - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 25, 2008 4:13 pm

No idea where it is, but it doesn't look like the original construction. Didn't a lot of estate mansions get various make-overs over the years by the gentry.
I would guess that the portcullis, wings and roof dome are not original features of this building, but that is just a guess.
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: A photo for ye.   A photo for ye. - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 25, 2008 4:23 pm

I was nearly right.

Laois County Council wrote:
Gandon designed Emo Court in 1790 for John Dawson, the First Earl of
Portarlington. When the earl died in 1798, the house was incomplete. No
more work was done until the 1830s, when the second earl completed the
garden front and commenced work on the interior. Starting in 1860, the
third earl oversaw building of the copper dome on the rotunda, as well
as work on the interior and construction of a bachelor wing.
When the last of the Portarlingtons left Emo Court in 1920, the
house fell into decline. The Jesuits purchased the house in 1930 and
used it as a seminary. In 1969, the order sold Emo court to Major
Cholmley Dering Cholmley-Harrison who began the laborious process of
restoring Emo Court and its grounds. Today Emo Court and its gardens
are owned and managed by the Office of Public Works.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A photo for ye.   A photo for ye. - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 25, 2008 4:26 pm

What are you referring to as the Portcullis, EVM?

As far as I know this building is virtually unaltered - though there are blind attics that you can't see which were added by some people who lived there in the middle of the last century. Those residents made a lot of internal changes - because there was no planning permission for change of use in those days and they did incredible and awful damage which the last owner worked very hard to remediate.

The wings, the columns, the dome (which is the giveaway) are all features of the original design.

I've said enough now. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A photo for ye.   A photo for ye. - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 25, 2008 4:27 pm

What gave it away?
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: A photo for ye.   A photo for ye. - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 25, 2008 4:34 pm

Kate P wrote:
What gave it away?

I cheated.... Image Properties.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

But only after I speculated on the modifications. See the blurb above from Laois CoCo. The dome at least was added by the 3rd Earl in 1860. This kind of mod work happened a lot afaik. They had to keep up with the Jones' as well.

Portcullis is completely the wrong word. I was referring to the columned porch and gable on the front elevation. There is a word for that but I can't think of it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A photo for ye.   A photo for ye. - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 25, 2008 4:42 pm

Kate P wrote:
Cúl an tSúdaire is the Tanner's Nook, isn't it? So what's the Scotach in Cúl Scotach?

A photo for ye. - Page 3 Emo_court_laois

Any ideas?

Palladian and built by Gandon?

EDIT: Yes! Got the style and architect right!

Last edited by Ard-Taoiseach on Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I've been vindicated by scrolling up the page, my Archiseek breeding serve me well!)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A photo for ye.   A photo for ye. - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 25, 2008 4:52 pm

Try this one...

A photo for ye. - Page 3 Pod-arbour

And if you get the answer by quoting me, shame on you!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A photo for ye.   A photo for ye. - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 25, 2008 5:15 pm

It was added by the third earl but it was in the original Gandon design, as it happens. The atrium beneath it is obviously also round and was finished earlier than some other parts of the house - like the ballroom which is on the right as you look at the house.

There is a tiny bit on the left that you can't see which was added on later and there's a dower house behind that again.

The Jesuits tore down the Sienna marble pilasters in the rotunda, cut chunks out of the beautiful floor and installed an altar so heavy it was propped up from underneath. They took out the dividing wall between the rotunda and the drawing room and made the two rooms into a chapel. And they disposed of the white Italian marble fireplaces but they were eventually found. One had been split down the middle while it was being removed.

Cholmely (chumly) did a wonderful job of renovating the house. It's worth paying a visit to but I doubt that the tour guides are as good as they used to be...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A photo for ye.   A photo for ye. - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Ah Bollix. I knew Gandon had something to do with it. Wasnt too farout.Sorry. Fell asleep. Give us a clue on your pile Ard-Taoiseach?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A photo for ye.   A photo for ye. - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 25, 2008 5:59 pm

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
Try this one...

A photo for ye. - Page 3 Pod-arbour

And if you get the answer by quoting me, shame on you!

?
Quote :

The smallest of Dublin's Victorian prisons, Arbour Hill Prison was designed in 1835 by Jacob Owen and later rebuilt in 1845 by Sir Joshua Webb.
A tripartite façade - the central entrance block is linked by screen walls to the chapel and to the govenor's house. Of these structures the most interesting is the chapel. The chapel has an elaborate cruciform interior and roof, and stained glass by the Harry Clarke Studios behind the altar. The church has an unusual entrance porch with stairs leading to twin galleries for visitors in the nave and transept. This feature is copied from the National Scotch Church, Bow Street, London designed by Robert Wallace. Also an unusal feature is the celtic round tower which erupts from a rectangular base.

Arbour Hill: The facade reminds me of a creepy stately home on the side of a cliff where the heroine of a gothic novel is ravished by the depraved Lord Whatshisname.

Where are we now?

A photo for ye. - Page 3 Tower
Back to top Go down
Ex
Ex

PostSubject: Re: A photo for ye.   A photo for ye. - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 25, 2008 6:02 pm

Oh, I thought that was Glendalough until I looked at the base, grass and no headstones/rocks. Not sure now. It's a monastery job though, isn't it.

That pitched roof is a class bit of masonry.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A photo for ye.   A photo for ye. - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 25, 2008 6:09 pm

Is it Timahoe?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A photo for ye.   A photo for ye. - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 25, 2008 6:23 pm

SeathrúnCeitinn wrote:
Is it Timahoe?

Tigh Mochua it is - it's rather beautiful isn't it? Kind of serene and noble.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A photo for ye.   A photo for ye. - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 25, 2008 6:28 pm

Kate P wrote:
SeathrúnCeitinn wrote:
Is it Timahoe?

Tigh Mochua it is - it's rather beautiful isn't it? Kind of serene and noble.

Probably a better example than Glendalough. Fantastic.
Cá bhfuil an chrois seo?
A photo for ye. - Page 3 Moone_10
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A photo for ye.   A photo for ye. - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 25, 2008 6:34 pm

Those crosses always remind me of Yeats and Drumcliff - cast a cold eye on life, on death - horseman pass by. It's hardly there, is it?

What's the technical name for the little guys (very untechnical name) at the base of the cross?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A photo for ye.   A photo for ye. - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 25, 2008 6:38 pm

Kate P wrote:
Those crosses always remind me of Yeats and Drumcliff - cast a cold eye on life, on death - horseman pass by. It's hardly there, is it?

What's the technical name for the little guys (very untechnical name) at the base of the cross?

No terrible beauties born, died or buried here. Them boys at the bottom are the twelve apostles.
Clue: Its the second tallest in Ireland
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A photo for ye.   A photo for ye. - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 25, 2008 7:02 pm

I know nothing about High Crosses, to my shame - except that there's one in Moone in Kildare that I haven't seen - and haven't seen the church building either from the road. So I'm assuming that's not it either. There's a nice enough place to eat there called the High Cross Inn.

Wrong kind of culture - I'm folding on that; I'm out.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A photo for ye.   A photo for ye. - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 25, 2008 7:09 pm

Kate P wrote:
I know nothing about High Crosses, to my shame - except that there's one in Moone in Kildare that I haven't seen - and haven't seen the church building either from the road. So I'm assuming that's not it either. There's a nice enough place to eat there called the High Cross Inn.

Wrong kind of culture - I'm folding on that; I'm out.

Correct. I've eaten there too. They have some collection of former customers on the walls. Since they built the main road the cross is very hard to get at. Halfway around the world to come back type deal. But its worth it. They have a perspex cover on it now but very clear motifs like the 12 apostles, the loaves and the fishes, the temptation of St. Anthony and the six-headed beast(my favourite)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A photo for ye.   A photo for ye. - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 25, 2008 7:40 pm

No religion this time
Where is this?
A photo for ye. - Page 3 Erin_s10
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A photo for ye.   A photo for ye. - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 26, 2008 12:14 am

The last one was too easy.

Here's another building for you all to identify(it's the tallest one):

A photo for ye. - Page 3 Housing02l
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A photo for ye.   A photo for ye. - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 26, 2008 12:16 am

The Point Depot

no!! the AIB new building
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A photo for ye.   A photo for ye. - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 26, 2008 12:19 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
The Point Depot

no!! the AIB new building

Wrong! affraid
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A photo for ye.   A photo for ye. - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 26, 2008 12:22 am

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
The last one was too easy.

Here's another building for you all to identify(it's the tallest one):

A photo for ye. - Page 3 Housing02l

A photo for ye. - Page 3 Scratc10Does it exist yet?

Last edited by SeathrúnCeitinn on Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A photo for ye.   A photo for ye. - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 26, 2008 12:32 am

Heh heh heh. That'll keep you thinking. I'll be holding the answer for a while.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A photo for ye.   A photo for ye. - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 26, 2008 12:58 am

SeathrúnCeitinn wrote:

A photo for ye. - Page 3 Scratc10Does it exist yet?

Nearly, and when it's finished it will be ....

Bono's Tower!!?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A photo for ye.   A photo for ye. - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

A photo for ye.
Page 3 of 15Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 15  Next