Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

A Question of VISAs

Go down 
AuthorMessage

A Question of VISAs Empty
PostSubject: A Question of VISAs   A Question of VISAs EmptyWed Aug 13, 2008 12:41 am

Ok Guys

I know this is the wrong forum for this - but I failed to find one that was relevant - maybe Audi or EVM or whoever else has the power could set up a "Travel" forum? pretty pretty please Very Happy

My question to the well travelled here is - well I should kind of explain this in full.

Im going on a bit of a road trip next year - The initial plan is to go from Dublin to Tokyo and back without any flying involved - the routing is still in the planning stages and I dont know if I will do a big sweep of Asia or come back via the Americas - in all I could be gone from anything from 6 months to a year - or longer depending on the financial situation and I want to leave things as fluid as possible - which will be a bit of a change for me cos normally I plan this shit down to nth degree.

One thing that has hit me is that I might need to go in and out of Russia a few times - this is grand on the way out as you can get a Russian multiple entry visa for up to 3 months - however if I choose to return via Russia maybe 9 months later - Can I apply for a visa at an embassy in a country along the way - ie I hear that it can take a while to get a visa - up to 4 weeks - is this possible to do outside the country of which you are resident in?

I used to getting all this stuff arranged before I go - so this kind of carry on will be a newbie for me - there are a lot of countries in the same area where you have to apply and spend big for a visa well in advance of arrival instead of turning up at the border - paying a few bucks and getting stamped as you can do in most of the West.

any takers?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Question of VISAs   A Question of VISAs EmptyWed Aug 13, 2008 12:48 am

I'm not so well travelled but always check out about visas before I go anywhere. I'll check them out before I'll check out health... I wanted to do that trip you're doing coming back from Australia and had a good browse through the Lonely Planet which will have a clear section on visas. I know in Thailand you get a visa on entering the country for 30 or 60 days but you must renew it after that. You go to Malaysia on a train then come back into Thailand.

I can't believe it would take 4 weeks to get a visa for Russia...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Question of VISAs   A Question of VISAs EmptyWed Aug 13, 2008 12:52 am

Getting a visa in Russia can be absolute hell. I heard someone on the radio saying they had queued up outside the embassy from 6am on three consecutive days and still not talked to anyone. I know this is true because I often cycle past the embassy and I see people queuing. The 'embassy' is a portacabin in the garden of the ambassador's residence.

Best bet for getting a visa to Russia is to be 'invited' by a citizen living there, I believe. I have heard that if you talk to travel agents they will work out about getting someone to 'invite' you in.

I have dual citizenship so when I get to go to Russia I will try and deal with it through London where presumably they have a larger embassy.

Last edited by johnfás on Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Question of VISAs   A Question of VISAs EmptyWed Aug 13, 2008 12:56 am

johnfas you are half Russian ?? Any chance of an invite ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Question of VISAs   A Question of VISAs EmptyWed Aug 13, 2008 1:01 am

No, half British! Apologies!

My first cousin is marrying a Russian girl next year though. Unfortunately the wedding is being helf in Ireland Evil or Very Mad . That would have been a great trip. Anyway, I'm hoping her family will be my visa aide in future.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Question of VISAs   A Question of VISAs EmptyWed Aug 13, 2008 1:06 am

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Question of VISAs   A Question of VISAs EmptyWed Aug 13, 2008 1:26 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
http://www.russianvisa.org/faq.html

http://www.passportsandvisas.com/visas/Russia-visa-faq.asp

bah
http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=russian+visa+how+long+take&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

Thanks a mill Audi - got my question answered there and then - no it is not possible to apply for a Russian Visa outside your country of residence - wankers - the auld soviet paranoia has never left eh"

Ok - 2 options -

1) apply for 12 month visa - 250 beans - I better come back via Russia to make that worth it.

2) look at the alternative return routes - via southern Asia or the Americas

Muchos Gratias guys
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: A Question of VISAs   A Question of VISAs EmptyWed Aug 13, 2008 1:32 am

It was a good question though Edo. Made me wonder how news correspondents manage when hopping from one crisis to the next. The likes of Kate Adie and Martin what's his name and Charlie Bird of course.... Presumably they come home first ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Question of VISAs   A Question of VISAs EmptyWed Aug 13, 2008 1:34 am

They have special press visas I would imagine.

I am very jealous of people like my Mother. When she was in her teenage years (and beyond) my grandfather worked in a senior position for the Council of Europe in Strasbourg. Consequently he had diplomatic immunity. She enjoyed many a summer doing marvellous things like frolicking behind the iron curtain.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Question of VISAs   A Question of VISAs EmptyWed Aug 13, 2008 1:36 am

EvotingMachine0197 wrote:
It was a good question though Edo. Made me wonder how news correspondents manage when hopping from one crisis to the next. The likes of Kate Adie and Martin what's his name and Charlie Bird of course.... Presumably they come home first ?

I got loads of visas in Berlin once. It only took a day queuing up in various corridors.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Question of VISAs   A Question of VISAs Empty

Back to top Go down

A Question of VISAs
Page 1 of 1