Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

The Booze Thread

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage

The Booze Thread - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Booze Thread   The Booze Thread - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 17, 2008 6:19 pm

johnfás wrote:
How much is it costing you a litre eoin?
Making 23 litres it comes to 85 cent approx.
This is for the Malt Extract, Sugar, Yeast and Light Spray Malt.

This does not include the container, thermometer, hydrometer, etc. Those come to about €25.

Last edited by eoinmn on Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Booze Thread   The Booze Thread - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 17, 2008 6:22 pm

Very quickly pays for itself so. Have you tasted a successful brew yet?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Booze Thread   The Booze Thread - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 17, 2008 6:22 pm

johnfás wrote:
Very quickly pays for itself so. Have you tasted a successful brew yet?
Nope. But I will keep you updated on this thread!
Should be another 6 weeks.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Booze Thread   The Booze Thread - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 17, 2008 6:23 pm

johnfás wrote:
Very quickly pays for itself so.
Ah, its more for the (rather nerdy) craic, you know?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Booze Thread   The Booze Thread - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 17, 2008 6:25 pm

Ah it is, but my grandfather used to brew his own wine for fun and became very good at it. People used to drop in for bottles of it at Christmas! So don't lower your expectations of how good you might become at it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Booze Thread   The Booze Thread - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 17, 2008 9:29 pm

Slim Buddha wrote:
Having a real nightmare of a day and buried under paper and stuff. The thought of a really crisp chilled Hoegaarden with a creamy head is the only thing keeping me going........................

You're a bad man, Slim. All this talk of beer is making me thirsty and it's 9 days to pay day...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Booze Thread   The Booze Thread - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 17, 2008 10:32 pm

The 9 types of drinker

Have we covered all the categories from our previous posters? Laughing

LK: rebonding drinker. drunken
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Booze Thread   The Booze Thread - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 18, 2008 1:02 am

The Lighthouse Keeper wrote:
The 9 types of drinker

Jesus I nearly cover most of them myself.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Booze Thread   The Booze Thread - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 18, 2008 2:13 am

riadach wrote:
The 9 types of drinker

Ah, the alcohol buzz - I'm sure I used to drink to try to get 'visions'.

The Booze Thread - Page 3 Drinke10
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Booze Thread   The Booze Thread - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 18, 2008 1:41 pm

cookiemonster wrote:
Slim Buddha wrote:
Having a real nightmare of a day and buried under paper and stuff. The thought of a really crisp chilled Hoegaarden with a creamy head is the only thing keeping me going........................

You're a bad man, Slim. All this talk of beer is making me thirsty and it's 9 days to pay day...

The Hoegaarden was great and exactly what was needed. Later went to eat in an Argentinian place owned by the guy in the tux in the clip below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KklGBOMRISc

local legend, Dieter Meier of Yello fame. Food was extraordinary. He raises the cattle in Argentina and imports it himself. Same with the wine. He has his own bodega producing whites and reds. Interesting concept producing memorable dining.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Booze Thread   The Booze Thread - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 24, 2008 4:20 pm

The mix (called a wort) fermented slowly for the few days, then picked up, then slowed to a halt again.
Now that it has stopped its (primary) fermentation it is ready to be put into bottles.

I'll be doing that tonight.

Then I have to leave it have its secondary fermentation for 3 weeks in the bottles.

Going my calculations it should have an alcohol content of 4.2%.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Booze Thread   The Booze Thread - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 24, 2008 4:51 pm

eoinmn wrote:
The mix (called a wort) fermented slowly for the few days, then picked up, then slowed to a halt again.
Now that it has stopped its (primary) fermentation it is ready to be put into bottles.

I'll be doing that tonight.

Then I have to leave it have its secondary fermentation for 3 weeks in the bottles.

Going my calculations it should have an alcohol content of 4.2%.

I thought for a moment I was reading the Cern thread What a Face
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Booze Thread   The Booze Thread - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 24, 2008 5:33 pm

Can't wait til these damn exams are finished and I can go out for a nice few drinks! Think I might go to London for the weekend after and enjoy some relaxing time in my favourite jaunts!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Booze Thread   The Booze Thread - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 24, 2008 5:52 pm

riadach wrote:
The 9 types of drinker

Hmm, surely your classification changes as your circumstances evolve? On a general basis I'd be a re-bonder, but I'd be a community drinker as well. Some drinks I have simply because they taste nice and have very little to do with how I myself feel. In any case, I wouldn't be a boredom, macho or border dependents. That's definitely not me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Booze Thread   The Booze Thread - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 24, 2008 7:40 pm

I suppose I would be a hedonistic one...

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Booze Thread   The Booze Thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 09, 2008 5:01 pm

I opened a bottle of the Homebrew Pale Ale at the weekend and gave it to a visitor. He's still alive so that's good!
Can't be any worse than the pork, I suppose.

It was a little bland and a little flat to be honest. But drinkable.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Booze Thread   The Booze Thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 09, 2008 6:02 pm

eoinmn wrote:
I opened a bottle of the Homebrew Pale Ale at the weekend and gave it to a visitor. He's still alive so that's good!
Can't be any worse than the pork, I suppose.

It was a little bland and a little flat to be honest. But drinkable.

Any designs on improving it ? Sounds like it needs a bit of fizz. What's the fizz in beer anyway or is ale not supposed to have a fizz.

Fizz is CO2 - plenty of that around.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Booze Thread   The Booze Thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 09, 2008 6:33 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
Fizz is CO2 - plenty of that around.
Some would say there is too much!
Auditor #9 wrote:
Any designs on improving it ? Sounds like it needs a bit of fizz. What's the fizz in beer anyway or is ale not supposed to have a fizz.
You're quite right, Ale isn't supposed to be fizzy and it may be a feature rather than a problem with my beer.
There is not much I can do with to help it carbonate except leave it longer to mature in the bottle.

Perhaps next time I'll make a Pilsner. I think Pilners are supposed to ferment at a lower temperature, which would suit my cold house.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Booze Thread   The Booze Thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 09, 2008 6:44 pm

SeathrúnCeitinn wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
johnfás wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
cookiemonster wrote:
Jameson and 7up?!

My Dad would shoot someone for that odious concoction. Jameson must be kept in virgo intacta.

I much prefer Bushmills over Jameson.

Well you would, wouldn't you?

Black Bush
No no, Jameson all the way, on the rocks and definitely sans 7up. Followed by Paddies. Tullamore Dew is the one Irish whiskey I can't drink, it's very rough.
-------------------------------

Eoin, what did you use for a fermentation vat? Did you buy an airlock or improvise?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Booze Thread   The Booze Thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 09, 2008 6:50 pm

evercloserunion wrote:
Followed by Paddies.
Ugh, rough stuff.
I like Jameson or Bushmills with ice, but Paddy or Powers? No way.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Booze Thread   The Booze Thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 09, 2008 7:02 pm

I've actually never tried Bushmills, must try it out.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Booze Thread   The Booze Thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 09, 2008 7:08 pm

Had a drop of Laphroaig at the weekend. Yum!
Liquid turf smoke.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Booze Thread   The Booze Thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 09, 2008 7:16 pm

evercloserunion wrote:

I am a big fan Bushmills. It is much softer on the palate in comarison to Jamesons. If you are ever on the North Coast they do a great tour of their distillery followed by Whiskey tasting. I remember doing the tour in early 1999 and they showed us all the barrels of their Millenium Edition. People had paid for it in 1971 and it had been sitting maturing ever since. Interesting stuff.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Booze Thread   The Booze Thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 09, 2008 8:48 pm

johnfás wrote:
evercloserunion wrote:

I am a big fan Bushmills. It is much softer on the palate in comarison to Jamesons. If you are ever on the North Coast they do a great tour of their distillery followed by Whiskey tasting. I remember doing the tour in early 1999 and they showed us all the barrels of their Millenium Edition. People had paid for it in 1971 and it had been sitting maturing ever since. Interesting stuff.

Bushmills Liqueur is absolutely gorgeous but be reeeeellllly careful - it gave me the worst hangover of my life. Needs to be treated with respect.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Booze Thread   The Booze Thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 09, 2008 11:21 pm

eoinmn wrote:
Had a drop of Laphroaig at the weekend. Yum!
Liquid turf smoke.

You should try Lagavulin as well. Richer and heavier, but all the Islay and Jura whiskies have that peat-smoke taste. Campbelltown is good too, as long as it's over 16 years old.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Booze Thread   The Booze Thread - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Booze Thread
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next