Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Dublin Port Tunnel - How's it Going ?

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Dublin Port Tunnel - How's it Going ? Empty
PostSubject: Dublin Port Tunnel - How's it Going ?   Dublin Port Tunnel - How's it Going ? EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 5:39 pm

Breaking news tells us that there won't be a strike in the Port Tunnel. I didn't know there was supposed to be one in the first place. Ive only used it once, but followed the years of debate about height, width, cost, who could use it and so on with great interest. Does anyone here use it? Has it cleared the Quays of HGVs and clogged up the M50? Has it cut your commute in half?

Quote :
Thursday, July 24, 2008 Headlines NEW Features SMS alerts RSS Feeds HomeIrelandSportWorldBusinessEntertainmentWeatherJobs BreakingNews.ie > Ireland« Previous
Port tunnel strike called off Print

Threatened strike action at Dublin’s Port Tunnel which could have crippled the city’s traffic was today called off, union leaders said.

Siptu said it has struck an agreement with port operators Transroute over its row about wages.

The trade union had warned workers were prepared to walk out next month after it served a 14-day strike notice, which took effect yesterday.

A deal between both sides brokered with the help of the Labour Court has averted industrial action, according to Owen Reidy, Siptu branch organiser.

“We very much welcome the agreement which will improve pay and conditions for our members working in Transroute at the Dublin Port Tunnel and which we believe very much will bring pay into line with other tolling facilities around the country,” he said.

The union threatened a walkout over claims its members were being paid less than the industry norm.

Transroute runs the operation and maintenance of the tunnel including the toll booths, traffic management, safety, emergency and contingency plans and inspections.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dublin Port Tunnel - How's it Going ?   Dublin Port Tunnel - How's it Going ? EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 6:09 pm

I didn't know a tunnel could go on strike, what will it do - collapse? Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dublin Port Tunnel - How's it Going ?   Dublin Port Tunnel - How's it Going ? EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 6:22 pm

johnfás wrote:
I didn't know a tunnel could go on strike, what will it do - collapse? Very Happy

Won't let it in, I think. Mad
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Dublin Port Tunnel - How's it Going ?   Dublin Port Tunnel - How's it Going ? EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 6:42 pm

It's about 4 miles from my house, yet I've never been in it. I'm waiting for it to achieve a minimum MTBF.

I suppose the purpose of the strike was to force the M50 bound HGVs back into town and down the quays?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dublin Port Tunnel - How's it Going ?   Dublin Port Tunnel - How's it Going ? EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 6:53 pm

I drove through it twice, once by mistake. I was trying to go around the port and off over to Clontarf direction but it was badly sign posted. Another time I was driving back from Drogheda on a weekend evening and it was either that or the toll bridge and I just decided to go for it.

It is quite a fun experience really. I like tunnels.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dublin Port Tunnel - How's it Going ?   Dublin Port Tunnel - How's it Going ? EmptyWed Sep 24, 2008 12:11 am

Prime Time article on it. The engineers who are familiar with the comms and sensory systems in it - which cost 30 million - think the comms and computer system should be replaced as it's susceptible to blue screens of death. The computer system is not adequate or reliable and could malfunction, letting emergency workers down in the event of an accident.

Mother of God ...

P.ie on it
http://www.politics.ie/viewtopic.php?f=116&t=41464

Last edited by Auditor #9 on Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dublin Port Tunnel - How's it Going ?   Dublin Port Tunnel - How's it Going ? EmptyWed Sep 24, 2008 12:22 am

What a Face
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dublin Port Tunnel - How's it Going ?   Dublin Port Tunnel - How's it Going ? EmptyWed Sep 24, 2008 12:38 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
Prime Time article on it. The engineers who are familiar with the comms and sensory systems in it - which cost 30 million - think the comms and computer system should be replaced as it's susceptible to blue screens of death. The computer system is not adequate or reliable and could malfunction, letting emergency workers down in the event of an accident.

Mother of God ...

pfft! I can save them €30,000,000

[Ctrl] + [Alt] + [Del]

€30,000,000?! ENIAC cost about a tenth of that in today's terms.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dublin Port Tunnel - How's it Going ?   Dublin Port Tunnel - How's it Going ? EmptyWed Sep 24, 2008 12:05 pm

I still love it, just makes it feel like an even bigger adventure now Very Happy.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dublin Port Tunnel - How's it Going ?   Dublin Port Tunnel - How's it Going ? EmptyWed Sep 24, 2008 12:23 pm

Dublin Port Tunnel - How's it Going ? Ca1202_flames4_12-02-06_UM32UIQ

johnfás drives the tunnel... What a Face
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dublin Port Tunnel - How's it Going ?   Dublin Port Tunnel - How's it Going ? EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 2:13 pm

I work in town on the quays and I have to say that I do not really see a major differernce. Yes, the big trucks are mostly gone, unless they have licence, but cars still seem to be stuck on the quays and its still deafeningly loud.

I'm not surprised the tunnel is dangerous, it seems that before the thing opened, there were nothing but leaked opinions on its safety. Then the fire proof tiles had to be taken down, as they were falling off and causing a danger and then the computer system would keep breaking down and then it kept springing leaks. It is a monument to what happens when you dodnt do something properly in the corretc place, and what happens when pure pig headed arrogance wins out.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dublin Port Tunnel - How's it Going ?   Dublin Port Tunnel - How's it Going ? EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 4:56 pm

ceacg wrote:
I work in town on the quays and I have to say that I do not really see a major differernce. Yes, the big trucks are mostly gone, unless they have licence, but cars still seem to be stuck on the quays and its still deafeningly loud.

I'm not surprised the tunnel is dangerous, it seems that before the thing opened, there were nothing but leaked opinions on its safety. Then the fire proof tiles had to be taken down, as they were falling off and causing a danger and then the computer system would keep breaking down and then it kept springing leaks. It is a monument to what happens when you dodnt do something properly in the corretc place, and what happens when pure pig headed arrogance wins out.

Well said ceacg.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dublin Port Tunnel - How's it Going ?   Dublin Port Tunnel - How's it Going ? EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 5:50 pm

I'll still be revving my engine for a drag race down the tunnel with anyone who dares to match me...

Dublin Port Tunnel - How's it Going ? Character_noddy_car
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dublin Port Tunnel - How's it Going ?   Dublin Port Tunnel - How's it Going ? Empty

Back to top Go down

Dublin Port Tunnel - How's it Going ?
Page 1 of 1