Machine Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Machine Nation

Irish Politics Forum - Politics Technology Economics in Ireland - A Look Under The Nation's Bonnet

Devilish machinations come to naught --Milton

PortalPortal  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  GalleryGallery  MACHINENATION.org  

Questionnaire - How Did You Find Out About Machine Nation?

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage

Questionnaire - How Did You Find Out About Machine Nation? - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Questionnaire - How Did You Find Out About Machine Nation?   Questionnaire - How Did You Find Out About Machine Nation? - Page 5 EmptyThu Aug 14, 2008 11:43 am

Quote :
That reminds me, I think I will get sugar puffs next time I'm at the supermarket. Whilst they are terrible for me, they will boost my current low ebb no end .

Bah, low ebb. I'm unemployed, I've no girlfriend and a moth just flew down my neck. A brief struggle yielded a single wing, which suggests the rest of the moth still crawling around in there. And you think you've problems. I have to get Frosties. Much worse for the health.

For anyone making a painful transition between study and work (or more study)
I can think of some things that have helped my through that kind of situation
1. keep fit - go walking or running (but don't overtrain). bounce
2. Do something/anything that can go on your CV as a current occupation - volunteer for something relevant to your life plan. Basketball
3. In looking for work, look with one eye in a very focused way for exactly what you want, and use the other eye totally opportunistically to scan for unexpected jobs/ types of work that come up. Suspect
4. Use extra time to meet up with old friends. Laughing Laughing
By the time you have done that lot, you'll probably have a job.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Questionnaire - How Did You Find Out About Machine Nation?   Questionnaire - How Did You Find Out About Machine Nation? - Page 5 EmptyFri Aug 15, 2008 9:22 pm

cactus flower wrote:
Quote :
That reminds me, I think I will get sugar puffs next time I'm at the supermarket. Whilst they are terrible for me, they will boost my current low ebb no end .

Bah, low ebb. I'm unemployed, I've no girlfriend and a moth just flew down my neck. A brief struggle yielded a single wing, which suggests the rest of the moth still crawling around in there. And you think you've problems. I have to get Frosties. Much worse for the health.

2. Do something/anything that can go on your CV as a current occupation - volunteer for something relevant to your life plan. Basketball
3. In looking for work, look with one eye in a very focused way for exactly what you want, and use the other eye totally opportunistically to scan for unexpected jobs/ types of work that come up. Suspect
Thanks gfor the thoyught Cactus, but I've no friends, I'm desperate for any job and I'm kept fit by runing after cattle, stacking turf and building a shed.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Questionnaire - How Did You Find Out About Machine Nation?   Questionnaire - How Did You Find Out About Machine Nation? - Page 5 EmptyFri Aug 15, 2008 11:16 pm

905 wrote:
cactus flower wrote:
Quote :

Thanks gfor the thoyught Cactus, but I've no friends, I'm desperate for any job and I'm kept fit by runing after cattle, stacking turf and building a shed.

You have loads of virtual friends of the highest quality. I can't believe someone as bright as you will not have a job very soon, but even in good times, employers are bastards about employing graduates. Your moment will come. Very Happy

You could start a blog on World Affairs and become famous, and thence be showered with lucrative job offers ? Cool
Back to top Go down
Ex
Fourth Master: Growth
Ex

Number of posts : 4226
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Questionnaire - How Did You Find Out About Machine Nation?   Questionnaire - How Did You Find Out About Machine Nation? - Page 5 EmptyFri Aug 15, 2008 11:49 pm

cactus flower wrote:
Quote :

Based on my experience, that's brilliant advice.
If I may I will add two things:
1. Continue to study or keep up to date with the employment/research subject you are really after. But keep it semi-leisurely.
2. Don't fret. (useless advice, because humans fret anyway)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Questionnaire - How Did You Find Out About Machine Nation?   Questionnaire - How Did You Find Out About Machine Nation? - Page 5 EmptySat Aug 16, 2008 2:04 am

EvotingMachine0197 wrote:
cactus flower wrote:
Quote :

Based on my experience, that's brilliant advice.
If I may I will add two things:
1. Continue to study or keep up to date with the employment/research subject you are really after. But keep it semi-leisurely.
2. Don't fret. (useless advice, because humans fret anyway)
Try reading the book What Colour is your Parachute as it'll give you hope if you are in a time of darkness. Also remember that education should be treated as work in Audi's opinion and folks should be paid for doing it - that's a bit of my world-view. What the feck are we going to manufacture when everyone has twenty tvs, computers and iPhones and when everyone has a house and a car that does 140 mpg? That day will come. I'll tell you what we'll be doing - reading riding and arithmetic, that's what. I.e. the future is in leisure, pleasure, edutainment. Have you not read Douglas Coupland? Generation X - you are Generation X.5. The future will also be in exercise and craftsmanship if it isn't already. You are building a shed? I did that too during college and came out of it with muscles from wheelbarrowing concrete around all day. You'll see. Now I've risen higher - I have a motorised wheelbarrow. You'll see.

If you haven't a copy of Desiderata then print it out and stick it on your wall and read it everyday. It's something people put under their trio of ducks flying up the wall but it's very good food for the soul. I regret that I always mocked and jeered it and now I am a sad, bitter hermit. That should be a lesson to you - do not turn into a sad, bitter hermit and instead study Desiderata.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Questionnaire - How Did You Find Out About Machine Nation?   Questionnaire - How Did You Find Out About Machine Nation? - Page 5 EmptySat Aug 16, 2008 4:13 pm

I found out about it during the P.ie void also! Only registered today. Having to add five trolls a day to my ignore list is irritating. This site also seems somewhat more high-brow! Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Questionnaire - How Did You Find Out About Machine Nation?   Questionnaire - How Did You Find Out About Machine Nation? - Page 5 EmptySat Aug 16, 2008 4:18 pm

GusherING wrote:
I found out about it during the P.ie void also! Only registered today. Having to add five trolls a day to my ignore list is irritating. This site also seems somewhat more high-brow! Smile
Fair play to you. You have a friend and foe function here too if you need it but you shouldn't and we're a bit more strict than highbrow maybe ... 'Strict' could equal boring but hopefully not. What's the use in bashing someone because of the party they're in? We're doing our best to bash the policies and we're building it up slowly.

No, you won't be welcome here if you don't play the ball.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Questionnaire - How Did You Find Out About Machine Nation?   Questionnaire - How Did You Find Out About Machine Nation? - Page 5 EmptySun Aug 17, 2008 5:05 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:
GusherING wrote:
Fair play to you. You have a friend and foe function here too if you need it but you shouldn't and we're a bit more strict than highbrow maybe ... 'Strict' could equal boring but hopefully not. What's the use in bashing someone because of the party they're in? We're doing our best to bash the policies and we're building it up slowly.

Don't worry Auditor, I've never really been into pointless party-bashing. I prefer good debate instead.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Questionnaire - How Did You Find Out About Machine Nation?   Questionnaire - How Did You Find Out About Machine Nation? - Page 5 EmptySun Aug 17, 2008 5:33 pm

GusherING wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:
GusherING wrote:

Don't worry Auditor, I've never really been into pointless party-bashing. I prefer good debate instead.
cheers

Of course I'm a regular Fianna Fáil basher myself which makes me a hyprocrite I suppose scratch

On the other hand, is Fianna Fail not more of a cult than a party ...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Questionnaire - How Did You Find Out About Machine Nation?   Questionnaire - How Did You Find Out About Machine Nation? - Page 5 EmptySun Aug 17, 2008 10:05 pm

Auditor #9 wrote:

Fianna Fáil is the embodiment of the national spirit. To know FF is to know Ireland.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Questionnaire - How Did You Find Out About Machine Nation?   Questionnaire - How Did You Find Out About Machine Nation? - Page 5 EmptySun Aug 17, 2008 10:08 pm

[Fianna Fáil is the embodiment of the national spirit. .[/quote]

That`s what we`re afraid of.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Questionnaire - How Did You Find Out About Machine Nation?   Questionnaire - How Did You Find Out About Machine Nation? - Page 5 EmptyMon Aug 18, 2008 2:21 am

I thought A-T was the embodiment of the national spirit.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Questionnaire - How Did You Find Out About Machine Nation?   Questionnaire - How Did You Find Out About Machine Nation? - Page 5 EmptyMon Aug 18, 2008 11:59 am

arnaudherve wrote:
Very Happy

We have many national spirits but he is certainly one of them
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Questionnaire - How Did You Find Out About Machine Nation?   Questionnaire - How Did You Find Out About Machine Nation? - Page 5 EmptySat Aug 23, 2008 9:17 pm

I used to lurk on politics.ie, and decided to put my head over the parapet here! Smile Pity I couldn't think of a better username though...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Questionnaire - How Did You Find Out About Machine Nation?   Questionnaire - How Did You Find Out About Machine Nation? - Page 5 EmptySat Aug 23, 2008 9:26 pm

Well, in fairness, ballinasloe is where most of us belong.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Questionnaire - How Did You Find Out About Machine Nation?   Questionnaire - How Did You Find Out About Machine Nation? - Page 5 EmptySat Aug 23, 2008 10:44 pm

riadach wrote:
Well, in fairness, ballinasloe is where most of us belong.

You're very welcome ballinasloe. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Questionnaire - How Did You Find Out About Machine Nation?   Questionnaire - How Did You Find Out About Machine Nation? - Page 5 EmptySat Aug 23, 2008 11:35 pm

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:

Fianna Fáil is the embodiment of the national spirit. To know FF is to know Ireland.

What a terrible thing to say about the Irish people Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Questionnaire - How Did You Find Out About Machine Nation?   Questionnaire - How Did You Find Out About Machine Nation? - Page 5 EmptySun Aug 24, 2008 12:35 am

Pax wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:

What a terrible thing to say about the Irish people Smile

Yeah, it's some insult isn't it. I'm not too serious about it, it was in one of those moments when my inner FFer burst forth over the parapet as our great newcomer Ballinasloe said above.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Questionnaire - How Did You Find Out About Machine Nation?   Questionnaire - How Did You Find Out About Machine Nation? - Page 5 EmptySun Aug 24, 2008 12:35 am

arnaudherve wrote:

Actually arnaud, I'm more the embodiment of the national libido. Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Questionnaire - How Did You Find Out About Machine Nation?   Questionnaire - How Did You Find Out About Machine Nation? - Page 5 EmptySun Aug 24, 2008 12:59 am

Ballinasloe wrote:
I used to lurk on politics.ie, and decided to put my head over the parapet here! Smile Pity I couldn't think of a better username though...
If you want to ever change your name I'll do it for €20. So, when you think of something a bit saucier let me know and then I'll change your name.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Questionnaire - How Did You Find Out About Machine Nation?   Questionnaire - How Did You Find Out About Machine Nation? - Page 5 EmptySun Aug 24, 2008 1:04 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
Ballinasloe wrote:
If you want to ever change your name I'll do it for €20. So, when you think of something a bit saucier let me know and then I'll change your name.

Saucier? My embodiment is working then!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Questionnaire - How Did You Find Out About Machine Nation?   Questionnaire - How Did You Find Out About Machine Nation? - Page 5 EmptySun Aug 24, 2008 1:15 am

Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:
Ballinasloe wrote:

Can I change your name to Hard-Taoiseach? Smile Earlier today I nearly typed "The Large Hardon Collider" - must be the libido although I think August is always a horny month isn't it?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Questionnaire - How Did You Find Out About Machine Nation?   Questionnaire - How Did You Find Out About Machine Nation? - Page 5 EmptySun Aug 24, 2008 1:30 am

Auditor #9 wrote:
Ard-Taoiseach wrote:
Auditor #9 wrote:
Ballinasloe wrote:

Can I change your name to Hard-Taoiseach? Smile

Smile Ha, that'd be a laugh though knowing how we in Dublin pronounce it, it'd sound about the same!

Quote :
Earlier today I nearly typed "The Large Hardon Collider" - must be the libido although I think August is always a horny month isn't it?

Oooh, neutron! Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Questionnaire - How Did You Find Out About Machine Nation?   Questionnaire - How Did You Find Out About Machine Nation? - Page 5 EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 10:56 am

Every strange activity, military or otherwise, I claim to have partook in. All true. So it will surprise nobody that I went to school for a time in Ballinasloe. In Garbally after a less than pleasant exit from another fine centre of learning. I thumbed to school after a disagreement with the busdriver.

Father Cassidy was the president at the time and went on to become Bishop. I was the only Latin student in my year and was tutored by John Molloy. John was somewhat light in his step shall we say, or so some believed, and I was the victim of innuendo.

Ballinasloe should be avoided like the plague. It was the home of Trench who shot off St Ruth's noggin at Aughrim in 1691 and this family of skunks were elevated to Lords Ashtown who cast the deciding vote in the Act of Union. One of the few good things in Ballinasloe was Haydens Hotel which recently closed and the Mental Hospital. You had no need for P.ie in those days because the town was full of nuts.

The poster will, if old enough, remember BURNHOUSE up in Poolboy. I worked there a few days for 6 pound a day about 1978. I still can get the smell after all these years. Maggots as big as eels and flys as big as crows. The closest thing I have seen to the rats tht were there since are armadillos. The bastards were bulletproof.

The first SuperMacs was in Ballinasloe and the name of the river there is The Suck.

Decent people by and large down that area but the town could never produce a politician worth a shythe for the area. A very fine hospital there called Portiuncla and what looked like a great man almost got elected last time for FG. A surgeon. Instead Ulick Burke got in. A Garbally teacher as well.

So hopefully Balliasloe will contribute some posts to the site.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Questionnaire - How Did You Find Out About Machine Nation?   Questionnaire - How Did You Find Out About Machine Nation? - Page 5 EmptyFri Aug 29, 2008 1:04 am

Like many of you I am a refugee from P.ie. Unfortunately I remained in the dark during The Void, when so many of you found salvation in MN. I was only in the last few weeks, when P.ie was invaded by trolls and nutjobs, that I realized I had to make the journey to the promised land. So after enquiring about alternative political forums to P.ie on a thread over there, I may or may not have been informed via one of a range of media, which range may or may not include PM, by someone who may or may not be a member of Politics.ie, about MN (maybe).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Questionnaire - How Did You Find Out About Machine Nation?   Questionnaire - How Did You Find Out About Machine Nation? - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Questionnaire - How Did You Find Out About Machine Nation?
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next